IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz Max

Is there an Ibook version?

I love my Kindle (going to read on it here shortly), but my strong recommendation is to get the paperback now.

Our publisher is going to release an eBook version eventually, but it'll cost the same and it'll be a few months out. Those are months where you could be improving and shooting lower scores (or ingesting the material if you're in the snow belt).

I think @Oz Max is concerned about shipping costs to Australia.  It is well worth it Oz Max.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

You can also use a fitness ball, those big inflatable balls.

Not really. :)

We'll try to film something today.

Did this ever come to pass? Would it be the same as the boulder toss video?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Well it certainly looks like it!

Also the pro I'm seeing here is a TGM guy, I hope the two methods aren't incompatible...?

LSW is not really about technique (there is a bit but it's not really the focus of the book), it's more about strategy and debunking old course management axioms.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Ok I see, kind like a new approach of golf to score better then?

The book just has a lot of stuff in it.

It prioritizes what is important to scoring through a very intuitive system. It also helps you realize areas you might be deficient at or areas you think you are not good when you actually are. So it helps you figure out what to work on. It doesn't necessarily give specific, for your swing tips. In honesty if you have a big swing fault you need to see an instructor either in person or online.

The drills for putting and short game are great.

What really is a game changer is the course management system they developed.

It isn't a golf book about swing theory, but really a book about the whole game of golf in terms of scoring.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Did this ever come to pass? Would it be the same as the boulder toss video?

http://lowestscorewins.com/members/medicine-ball-drill-on-page-82

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

It prioritizes what is important to scoring through a very intuitive system. It also helps you realize areas you might be deficient at or areas you think you are not good when you actually are. So it helps you figure out what to work on. It doesn't necessarily give specific, for your swing tips. In honesty if you have a big swing fault you need to see an instructor either in person or online.

The drills for putting and short game are great.

What really is a game changer is the course management system they developed.

It isn't a golf book about swing theory, but really a book about the whole game of golf in terms of scoring.

Thanks.

One of the undertexts of the book is about expectations and seeing the world of golf and various levels of performance the way it really is. PGA Tour players are both under-rated and over-rated in various categories, and so are average players. Adjusting your expectations and realizations are helpful in and of themselves. If you hit a shot to 20 feet from 100 yards, you should be super excited, not down on yourself.

The back of the book reads:

Quote:

Golf is unique: it’s the only sport in which the Lowest Score Wins. Golfers have been inundated for years with advice and sayings intended to help them shoot lower scores, like “spend 50% of your time practicing your putting” or “you’ve got to be in the short grass.”

What if we told you that most of this popular advice was not true at all? That these myths are holding you back from reaching your potential and shooting the lowest score possible? That putting might be the least important skill in golf, that driving the ball far is much more important than driving it straight, and that Phil Mickelson might just be the best strategist on the PGA Tour?

Lowest Score Wins is NOT your classic golf book. We show you the new way to shoot lower scores — immediately. You’ll learn to use something called Separation Value to guide your practice and how you can use Shot Zones to help you determine your GamePlan for every shot you play. You’ll discover why typical course management strategy fails (hint: it only covers half of the equation). This book is the first of its kind. It is your own personal roadmap to shooting lower scores tomorrow. What are you waiting for?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Still haven't read it but I have bought two copies as gifts.

What are you waiting for? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What are you waiting for? :)

Time, hopefully things slow down after the 1st. The sucky thing is I bought both copies for guys I play with. So they will get better and beat me until I get on it.

Dave :-)

This book is so awesome that I bought a copy and am giving it to my gf's father as a Christmas present.

He's on a bum leg at the moment after surgery but hopefully he'll recover soon and start practicing what's in the book once spring hits.

• Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 2 weeks later...

Another one to add their praise here - it's a great book. Really clearly explained and the stuff on Separation Value is just excellent.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Much like the rest the opinions in the thread, I believe this book is great.

I bought a few copies and asked the High School team that I coached to read it.  The girls got a lot out of it.  I worked the SV(r) skills into to our practice schedule.  They really enjoyed knowing why they were working on driving the ball better and not chipping and putting like coaches before.

Where I messed up was I did n't ask the parents to read it.  Without reading it yourself, most did not believe driving and ball striking out weighed other practice details.  The parents often suggested that the girls practice putting because they shot 100 with 40-45 putts.  I found myself often explaining that they also took 55-60 shots to get on the green.  So if they hit every green in reg and still had 45 putts they shoot  81.  I always tried to explain that putting needed improvement but the odds of them making a 50 footer was close to zero.

One of the things I like about the book is that the SV(r) skills are not set in stone.  If your are struggling with a skill level 2 its ok to spend more time practicing that skill instead of a Level 3 or 4.  Because of this we did work on not 3 putting from that distance, but again this meant making more 3-15 footers to keep from 3 putting.

Another thing I was able to do was identify the needs of each player.  The drills for improvement were already provided.  I just needed the girl to take a book and look up the drill.  This meant I could help more girls at once.

In my state the coaches are able to talk to the player tee to green.  I had a good understanding of "game planning" but with the book I was able to take it to another level.  This especially came in handy as we reached the sectional and district levels.  These were courses the girls and I had never seen before.  As we walked our practice round we made yardage books and outlined "black" areas.  After one of those rounds, I overheard one of the girls telling her parents  "every time I pulled out my yardage book, it was like Rob was standing there to help me".  I just laughed and said that was the point.

Our team made it to the state finals.  We placed 12 out of 12.  Not great but it was 12th out of the state.  The team was 2 Freshman, 2 Sophomores and 1 Junior.

• Upvote 2

I bought a few copies and asked the High School team that I coached to read it.  The girls got a lot out of it.  I worked the SV(r) skills into to our practice schedule.  They really enjoyed knowing why they were working on driving the ball better and not chipping and putting like coaches before.

Where I messed up was I didn't ask the parents to read it.  Without reading it yourself, most did not believe driving and ball striking out weighed other practice details.  The parents often suggested that the girls practice putting because they shot 100 with 40-45 putts.  I found myself often explaining that they also took 55-60 shots to get on the green.  So if they hit every green in reg and still had 45 putts they shoot  81.  I always tried to explain that putting needed improvement but the odds of them making a 50 footer was close to zero.

One of the things I like about the book is that the SV(r) skills are not set in stone.  If your are struggling with a skill level 2 its ok to spend more time practicing that skill instead of a Level 3 or 4.  Because of this we did work on not 3 putting from that distance, but again this meant making more 3-15 footers to keep from 3 putting.

Another thing I was able to do was identify the needs of each player.  The drills for improvement were already provided.  I just needed the girl to take a book and look up the drill.  This meant I could help more girls at once.

In my state the coaches are able to talk to the player tee to green.  I had a good understanding of "game planning" but with the book I was able to take it to another level.  This especially came in handy as we reached the sectional and district levels.  These were courses the girls and I had never seen before.  As we walked our practice round we made yardage books and outlined "black" areas.  After one of those rounds, I overheard one of the girls telling her parents  "every time I pulled out my yardage book, it was like Rob was standing there to help me".  I just laughed and said that was the point.

Our team made it to the state finals.  We placed 12 out of 12.  Not great but it was 12th out of the state.  The team was 2 Freshman, 2 Sophomores and 1 Junior.

You are a terrific coach!  Your players are very lucky! :dance:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thank you, but I only read a book.  Dave and Erik deserve the credit for the research and time to write such a wonderful book.  The girls had to trust in the process.  I was lucky to have a group of kids who believed enough in me to make the right decisions.

Thank you, but I only read a book.  Dave and Erik deserve the credit for the research and time to write such a wonderful book.  The girls had to trust in the process.  I was lucky to have a group of kids who believed enough in me to make the right decisions.

I agree with @boogielicious . Don't sell yourself short. You did an excellent job of applying the information and getting it across to your team. Great coaching.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Where I messed up was I did ask the parents to read it.  Without reading it yourself, most did not believe driving and ball striking out weighed other practice details.  The parents often suggested that the girls practice putting because they shot 100 with 40-45 putts.  I found myself often explaining that they also took 55-60 shots to get on the green.  So if they hit every green in reg and still had 45 putts they shoot  81.  I always tried to explain that putting needed improvement but the odds of them making a 50 footer was close to zero.

Awesome!

Did you mean didn't? It's nice to have something all laid out simple and logical to convince helicopter parents rather than having to repeat yourself over and over again. I'm guessing they were convinced after reading?

Ed: edited.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think you're understating your virtue here. There are plenty of people who, in your shoes, would have done the traditional thing -- 2/3 practice short game, tell them to leave driver and 3W in the bag, everyone focus on hitting the fairway, bogey? should have practiced your chipping better, etc. If you did this, you probably would have had an easier time, at the expense of not really doing what a good coach should do. I'm glad you chose the good coaching route. You "only" read a book... because you were seeking information about how to be a better coach. Yes, you're lucky to have kids on your team who aren't questioning you (and hopefully whose parents come around). And also, and just as important, [i]they're lucky[/i] to have a coach who would rather improve them than take the path of least resistance. Long story short, you deserve some credit here for being a good coach. And I like your approach to improving their scores a lot better than what the guy who coached at my high school when I was there had the players do.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.