IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

I am up to page 60, the putting chapter.  Having recently had Aimpoint lesson & fitted putter, I aced the chapter :-D .   It's been several months since the lesson & putter and my total putt/round stat shows about 1+ stroke improvement.   Putting has been (relatively) best part of my game so 1+ improvement is satisfactory.  I was hoping for 2+ strokes improvement.

I practiced bunker, chipping & pitching shots with the book's lessons in mind.   The other lessons I incorporated already: both feet flared out at address, closed stance when hitting drive.  A minor adjustment - green side bunker shot is an "S3" (not "S2") for me as 15 of 18 holes at my home course comes with bunkers.  Some greens are practically surrounded by bunkers.   I have been losing 1 - 6 strokes from bunker shots on recent rounds.   Spending more time on S3 (bunker shot included), S4s with my limited practice time.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

My book arrived today and I am up to page 40.  (Erik, you need to send out the book faster - while we are young  .   It took more than a week from order to getting the book in mail

box.)

So far, the book reminded me to focus on key 1 - 3.  I have been focusing on drills to improve #3 and it's getting there.  I am inconsistent with #1 & #2.   I need to incorporate those drills to my practice routine, too.

I only flare my left out during address. My instructor didn't advise flaring out right foot.  I forget what his reasons were.  Today, I tried flaring my right foot.  I can't really tell if it helped my swing or not.

I modified my driver swing stance to a bit more closed position.  I was saving that for hitting draws but my driver misses tend to be pushes.  This book gave me the final push (sorry) to use a bit more closed stance.

I have a slow back swing.  I will keep it slow for now.  I don't want to introduce too many new stuff before my tournament on this weekend.

That's all for now.  More to follow as I get deeper into the book.

I've heard instructors say keeping the back foot perpendicular to target line rather than flared prevents over rotation of the hips. Really at this point though...I just go with Mike and Erik.

After Rory got injured, I heard someone on Golf Channel's Morning Drive say that it might be a good idea for when he is injured to flare both his feet, as that it will allow him more freedom of motion and less stress on his joints during the injury.  Just begged the question- why wouldn't we do this when we are healthy?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator

After Rory got injured, I heard someone on Golf Channel's Morning Drive say that it might be a good idea for when he is injured to flare both his feet, as that it will allow him more freedom of motion and less stress on his joints during the injury.  Just begged the question- why wouldn't we do this when we are healthy?

Some PGA Tour pros benefit from slowing their rotation down during their downswings (their left foot), but then you'll notice many will unweight it and spin it out after impact to relieve the stress on the knee/ankle.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Read through page 78,  I've made some adjustment to shift more practice time for S4s & S3s.  E.g, I am practicing reading green every day (Aimpoint).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Read up to page 92.   I have been highlighting with a red pen the parts which I want to keep going back and practice.   I did the same when I read How To Break 90 book a few years ago, and used it as reference.  It helped me to break 90 (albeit on much easier course than my current home course) consistently within 6 months.   I feel LSW has the same potential to materially improve my game.

I have done a bit of half swing drill with my head against a wall.  Keeping my head still has been an issue for me forever.  Adding this drill will help fix that for good.   This will get me closer to mastering the 1st 3 keys.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Some PGA Tour pros benefit from slowing their rotation down during their downswings (their left foot), but then you'll notice many will unweight it and spin it out after impact to relieve the stress on the knee/ankle.

Thanks for the tip on rotation. I will try to remember to slow down a bit. Having a little pain return again. After the replacement, the surgeon also recommended the foot flares.

Well I'm really excited about the read so far. A slow reader then off to daily practice. Like the AMM data that shows minimal head movement. I was trying for zero head movement and dropping horizontally some to load quads. The ridgity was restrictive and costing me I think. Working Key #2 and #3 also. I must say my distance has notedly increased with info the daily practice. Hitting the same course since I received it and two successive holes I generally play for bogey I hit par yesterday, son of a gun!!! 423 pin high 446 and actually hit just over back, couldn't believe it. Usually comes up short and have to pitch in. P.S. Back on the Quad device and took the heal lift out. Pain almost gone. Can't wait for mor tips.

Is this (or will this) book available in .pdf or other digital format so I can read it on my iPad or iPhone? I wouldn't mid reading this but don't really bother with "physical" books now.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Well I'm really excited about the read so far. A slow reader then off to daily practice. Like the AMM data that shows minimal head movement. I was trying for zero head movement and dropping horizontally some to load quads. The ridgity was restrictive and costing me I think. Working Key #2 and #3 also. I must say my distance has notedly increased with info the daily practice. Hitting the same course since I received it and two successive holes I generally play for bogey I hit par yesterday, son of a gun!!! 423 pin high 446 and actually hit just over back, couldn't believe it. Usually comes up short and have to pitch in.

P.S. Back on the Quad device and took the heal lift out. Pain almost gone. Can't wait for mor tips.

Good thing that the LSW is working out for you.

I started flaring my left foot out and it helps me complete my back swing.   That may have added to my ball striking accuracy.   I have been working on other drills, too, so it's hard to tell the amount of impact that the flaring had.  But I will take it.

Read up to short game practice section.   I have been doing enough things in the section already to I won't have to tweak my short game practice routine much.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Back from the course and played 9 holes incorporating or at least thinking of two concepts mentioned early: Full Swing Motion and Key 3, Inline Impact specifically shaft lean. I have been aware I decelerate into the ball at times and have too much shaft lean (always have). I generally hit a low trajectory ball but today I took full swings with even one approach shot after a long wayward right tee shot able to lift over a very tall tree to the green apron from 152 when usually I would have hit into the tree going for it. A very good sign. Plus I shot a +2 for the nine.

Is this (or will this) book available in .pdf or other digital format so I can read it on my iPad or iPhone? I wouldn't mid reading this but don't really bother with "physical" books now.

As far as I know there aren't plans anytime soon for a digital version.

I'd still highly recommend getting the book, it's the best golf instruction/strategy/improvement book that's ever been written. I'm saying this because I think Erik and Dave did a great job and it's helped my game, I don't make a dime off the book

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'd still highly recommend getting the book, it's the best golf instruction/strategy/improvement book that's ever been written.

I agree.

I've been meaning to re-read the book again.

No other book has tackled how to systematically show a golfer how to do course management. Besides all the other stuff in the book, the sections dedicated to course management is well worth the price alone.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's on my reading list(along with a lot of things), but the only chance I ever get to read is pretty much on the spur of the moment when I'm out and about on my day job and get delayed for one reason or another. It's not really practical for me to be carrying a book around with me everywhere I go and I'll never get chance to read at home. I tried to get Broadie's "every shot counts" too, but that was only available with a us apple i.d and us payment card which is a bit stupid.

E-books should certainly be the preferred option nowadays.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

I'd still highly recommend getting the book, it's the best golf instruction/strategy/improvement book that's ever been written. I'm saying this because I think Erik and Dave did a great job and it's helped my game, I don't make a dime off the book

If your golf game improved and you took some money on skins game, yes, you already made more than a dime off the book. :-P

@ChrisWev - the book is sitting on my coffee table and I read it like 10 - 20 pages per day.   I am allergic to reading but that seems to do the trick.   Someday, Erik/Dave will have audio book version of it for people who are too lazy to read. :-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator
E-books should certainly be the preferred option nowadays.

I disagree. :-) Let me know how you solve piracy, the tactile feel of a book, someone getting 30+% of the sale, NO knowledge of your customers, etc. Also as you know the books all get different ISBNs, too. I've done plenty of digital things. This is the lone physical thing I've created. Let's keep this discussion about the book itself please. Not the format in which it's available. @ChrisWev , if you have the time to post here you have the time to read the book. It's just a matter of choosing to.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I brush up on a few chapters here and there when I travel for work. Constantly have to remind myself about not banging balls at the range and practicing with a purpose.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Read up to page 122 past the tournament chapter.   Will be sure to practice 10 & 30 feet putts before the 1st tee.   My stroke tournament scores are exceptionally poor although match scores are very good.  Hoping that the tournament chapter of the book will help me with my strokes tournament result.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I received my copy of LSW on Friday, and gleefully plowed through my first read in a few hours.  I've already started reading through specific chapters again.

If anyone has been seeing the stellar reviews on this site, but hesitated thinking this is an "advanced" book that can only help better golfers, this couldn't be further from the truth.  As a high handicapper (for now!), I thought the chapters on Practice Planning were the most powerful and will have the most immediate effect.  Definitely looking forward to putting this stuff into action immediately.

One (slight) aside: personally, as a self-professed "stats geek", I thought that Every Shot Counts was a perfect companion text...after reading LSW, I went back and read it again (I had read it when it first came out), and the two complement each other very well.

- John