IGNORED

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

iacas

58 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

What do you guys think would be the right play on this hole at my home course off the tee?  Short par 4.  From tee to green, carry is probably 270ish to clear the water to the edge of the green poking out. I usually hit a hybrid and aim for the x and play a little draw away from the water, it leaves me about 130 to the hole, but if I crush it or pull it a bit, I go through the fairway and behind those 2 trees. Or if I push it, which I typically don't do, it brings water in to play.  I've driven the green in a scramble, but that's not really feasible for me playing my own ball because a little right or a little left is probably not going to carry far enough to be dry.  sucks to lay up much shorter.  guess this is probably one hole where I should actually chart out a decision map with multiple clubs.

That hole is a nasty little bugger. Would a 3W carry far enough where a miss left would clear the trees and still leave you a shorter approach? I'm thinking of hitting a big D to the left of the green between the bunkers and the trees. It appears there is not much danger over there on the other side of the cart path.

p.s. - GO CHIEFS!

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

What do you guys think would be the right play on this hole at my home course off the tee?  Short par 4.

Short Par 4 holes are always interesting and typically a risk/reward designed hole.
Since you indicate this is a home course hole, the hole may developed a few demons with potential of being disastrous on any given day.
The hole offers several options off the tee which may change under conditions throughout the season.
A key would be to have as many options in the bag for any given day.
The tee ball has to find turf which leaves a scoring club for the approach on short holes.

Other considerations would be how well your playing and how your swing feels on a given day? Confidence is a must when considering options.
Consider having multiple shot zones as opposed to limiting yourself to devoting to one zone.
Often aggressive play leads to higher scores.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

29 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Short Par 4 holes are always interesting and typically a risk/reward designed hole.
Since you indicate this is a home course hole, the hole may developed a few demons with potential of being disastrous on any given day.
The hole offers several options off the tee which may change under conditions throughout the season.
A key would be to have as many options in the bag for any given day.
The tee ball has to find turf which leaves a scoring club for the approach on short holes.

Other considerations would be how well your playing and how your swing feels on a given day? Confidence is a must when considering options.
Consider having multiple shot zones as opposed to limiting yourself to devoting to one zone.
Often aggressive play leads to higher scores.

That's weird. You quoted @Wanzo but it shows that you quoted me. ???

Anyway. I continued to look at the hole and wonder if the light green area that I thought was a bunker is actually a tee box for another hole. Perhaps the forward tees. 

- Shane

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

but it shows that you quoted me. ???

I selected his comments from your quote rather than his OP is my guess.

Your always worth "quoting"   :-D

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

That hole is a nasty little bugger. Would a 3W carry far enough where a miss left would clear the trees and still leave you a shorter approach? I'm thinking of hitting a big D to the left of the green between the bunkers and the trees. It appears there is not much danger over there on the other side of the cart path.

p.s. - GO CHIEFS!

Yeah now that you say that a 3w or driver is safe as long as it doesn't leak right and would be past the trees. And you are right, no bunker, that is another tee box.  Tough to have it end up in the fairway though with a driver. Probably depends how I'm hitting the clubs that given day. 

Im nervous for the chiefs but hope they can pull it off!!

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

29 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Yeah now that you say that a 3w or driver is safe as long as it doesn't leak right and would be past the trees. And you are right, no bunker, that is another tee box.  Tough to have it end up in the fairway though with a driver. Probably depends how I'm hitting the clubs that given day. 

Im nervous for the chiefs but hope they can pull it off!!

The main thing to do is avoid the water. On that hole, it looks like it would cost S&D unless you really slice one in there. It is death. Driver seems to the best choice to take water out of play assuming you can regularly clear the hazard. Even if you are not in the fairway, you have a shorter shot into the green and it appears you don't need to clear any water from over there.

- Shane

• Administrator
On 1/12/2017 at 1:10 PM, Wanzo said:

Capture.JPG

I think it was answered already, but hit driver or 3W long and left. So what if you're in the rough?

That's what I'd probably try to do.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re-reading the book after a year with it, and I'm happy to report that one of the feels described in chapter 5 really helped me find my stroke today. It's the best I've ever swung the club in the offseason. Who knows if it sticks, but the point is that the book is littered with little nuggets here and there that can really help if you come across them at the right time, and greatly boost the long term value of the book upon repeat readings. I've definitely benefitted from some of the high-level principles in the book over the past year, but because I had a very tumultuous year, I didn't have the time to really put into effect a lot of the great ideas the book presents. I'm hoping to be more meticulous and thoughtful about that this coming year. Thanks again for the great opus!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

6 hours ago, dkolo said:

I'm re-reading the book after a year with it, and I'm happy to report that one of the feels described in chapter 5 really helped me find my stroke today. It's the best I've ever swung the club in the offseason. Who knows if it sticks, but the point is that the book is littered with little nuggets here and there that can really help if you come across them at the right time, and greatly boost the long term value of the book upon repeat readings. I've definitely benefitted from some of the high-level principles in the book over the past year, but because I had a very tumultuous year, I didn't have the time to really put into effect a lot of the great ideas the book presents. I'm hoping to be more meticulous and thoughtful about that this coming year. Thanks again for the great opus!

And you're not going to tell us what that feel is? I'm waiting on the edge of my seat! :-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my 2nd copy the other day, and am about to crack it open to brush up on the fundamentals.  I "lent" my original to my brother.  When I said lend, he took it as give! 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 8:22 AM, djfajt71 said:

I just received my 2nd copy the other day, and am about to crack it open to brush up on the fundamentals.  I "lent" my original to my brother.  When I said lend, he took it as give! 

At least it went to someone in your family. I loaned mine to the pro at our local course but one of his a-hole employees took it home. Neither of them works at the course any longer.

Jon

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

At least it went to someone in your family. I loaned mine to the pro at our local course but one of his a-hole employees took it home. Neither of them works at the course any longer.

Do you need another? Or did you get another already?

You should…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you need another? Or did you get another already?

I will buy another copy. It's a great book.

That year it came out was probably my most enjoyable season. I read it while vacationing in the Upper Peninsula. The vacation was a total bust so my wife and I decided to head back a few days earlier than planned. We couldn't get home fast enough. For her, it was just be home, but I wanted to try and apply some of what I'd been reading. As soon as the car was unpacked I headed for the golf course.

Jon

13 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

The dirty rat-bastard!!

• Upvote 1

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

1 hour ago, djfajt71 said:

The dirty rat-bastard!!

Exactly! I've seen him since and called him out in it. I'm not much of a tough guy but there were a few expletives. He promised to bring it by my house but I knew that was bs as soon as he spoke it. 

Oh well. I'm ordering another copy this week. It's one of those books that can be read and re-read many times.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered my copy today.  Really looking forward to reading this.

Gene, Retired Army, photography, aviation and golf enthusiast

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

Gordon Lakes GC home course

• 1 month later...

This book has been in my garden shed for the last 9 months... time to crack this gem open again for read number 3!

• 1 month later...

Mine just arrived.  You could even say it glows.

LSW.jpg

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite