IGNORED

My Swing (Brian W)

Brian W
Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years (I played very casually about 7 years ago)

My current handicap index or average score is: 88 (16 hc)

My typical ball flight is: Draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull and occasional slice

Videos:

These were taken with my phone but I think they get the idea across.  As I stated above I played about 7 years ago but didn't get serious until last season.  I have a lot to learn and am getting a lot from this site.  I am looking for general advice as I have more than my fair share of bad shots.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Overall the swing looks pretty good. You have a lot going for you. Need to clean up a few things. First you overswing too much. I stopped your backswing were you should stop your swing. I would think 3/4 or maybe 60% backswing length. Just get it shorter. You seem to have good clubhead speed, and a more compact swing will help your control.

*Good backswing length on the left, overswing length on the right. Try to see less club between your arms.

Ok here is the picture bellow you really need to change. See how your get a C shape at the top of your swing, your right knee has crashed in. Your back is falling towards the target. You need to stay much more centered.

*You on the left, Rory on the right. See how Rory is much more coiled around his center, while you are bending backwards. Don't bend backwards over your swing  (haha, pun intended!!!) More importantly try to keep your right knee more away from the ball. Your right knee collapses as you overswing and your weight moves towards the target. See how Rory's back and knee line up straight in a line. Get more like that.

Some videos to help out,

This one will help you feel the right position at the top of the swing, as well as a centered pivot position. Really concentrate on keeping your head steady, don't let your weight fall towards the target.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The setup has to change before he can change anything with his swing, guys.

He's leaning left with his trail shoulder too high at address, which is presetting his pivot.

Add feet flare out, strengthen grip a bit (both left and right hand), and add rightward tilt at address, widening the stance slightly as well.

Right shoulder has to be 5-10 degrees lower than it is now, and your right arm is too straight at address as a result because you wouldn't be able to reach the ball otherwise.

Constantine

Thanks for the feedback

Matt, I haven't stopped on those frames and what you are saying makes sense.  I didn't even realize that was happening at full speed.  I will hit the range tomorrow and work on a more compact swing and it seems like everything you said is kinda going together.  If I can get my swing more coiled and centered, I wont feel I need to go back as far to get the distance

With my head, I concentrate on not moving up and down but it looks like its moving left and right

Also, if I watch a few 5sk videos, it looks like everyones shoulders have a slight tilt where mine are parallel to the ground.  It is causing me to make my right wrist do something funny looking.  Is that something I should worry about?

Jetfan, I didn't see your post while I was writing mine and I am glad you see that too but I am confused what you are saying about the right arm being straight.  It also looks like the inside of my elbows are facing too forward (open arm leading to open wrist).  Will it help to close my arm at the elbow more?

Thanks for the feedback

Matt, I haven't stopped on those frames and what you are saying makes sense.  I didn't even realize that was happening at full speed.  I will hit the range tomorrow and work on a more compact swing and it seems like everything you said is kinda going together.  If I can get my swing more coiled and centered, I wont feel I need to go back as far to get the distance

With my head, I concentrate on not moving up and down but it looks like its moving left and right

Also, if I watch a few 5sk videos, it looks like everyones shoulders have a slight tilt where mine are parallel to the ground.  It is causing me to make my right wrist do something funny looking.  Is that something I should worry about?

You could get the shoulder turn a little steeper, this will help you stay centered as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

You could get the shoulder turn a little steeper, this will help you stay centered as well.

Meaning drop my right shoulder slightly?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

That video is very helpful

I got out for practice again today and I didn't film as I would like to get a few more sessions in again before I show you guys.  It felt a little better and I worked on keeping my head steady, closing my right elbow a little which it felt like was keeping my swing plane more in line, and my setup.  I spread my feet a little more and opened them a touch which seemed to help a bit.  Keeping my backswing shorter felt weird and I came down behind the ball but I suspect that could be part of key 1.

I also found that the majority of my weight felt like it was on the ball of my left foot.  Is that a correct feeling?

I could go in the yard and swing a few times if it would help

So I stumbled on this video in the how to fix your slice thread and it has given me the most amazing advice I have had on this forum to date.  I was struggling with inconstant shots and the above information and advice was helpful and got me to the point where when I hit the ball correct, I got an amazing shot but I was still getting bad shots a good amount of time.  I forgot my phone today but went to the range to practice (i wish i had gotten video) but I normally warm up with my 6 iron but wanted to work on my drives as that is what I needed to work on based of this weekends play.  I took the advice of moving my hands up and forward and hit the ball just how I wanted to.  It was a minor fade but had big distance.  I was so happy I tried it with the irons and got the exact same feel.  This made my club path feel smooth and I was dropping the ball exactly where I wanted to.  It allowed me to use the other advice in this thread with more consistently.  It pushes the trail shoulder down and puts the overswing into much better perspective.

I just wanted to say thanks.  This video was the linchpin in taking all this other advice.  I will get a camera out there this week or weekend depending on time and see what you guys think

That's a great vid and addresses issues with Keys 1 and 2 in particular. If you aren't familiar with the keys, you might want to check out this thread.

Looking forward to seeing your updated swing videos. I can't remember if it's been mentioned, buy make sure you record it horizontally, not vertically. ;-)

- Shane

I do know all about the 5SK (how could you not on this site lol)

I will give the vertical a shot on my next videos on my phone, thanks for the advice

• 5 weeks later...

Here is the latest video of 3 of each swing.

I noticed my swing doesn't look much different as my last one but it seems like I have been working on a lot of things.  How depressing!!

I did play today and I really need to take the advice, "get off the range and on the course".  I did some adjusting today and I found I am not hinging my wrists at all after I start my downswing causing shanks and a very bad slice.  Any thoughts?

Be patient @Brian W .  It takes a while.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I noticed my swing doesn't look much different as my last one but it seems like I have been working on a lot of things.  How depressing!!

I think this thread will help:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I think this thread will help:

I really like that thread but because I play a lot by myself, it can be difficult to see what I am doing incorrectly and what I need to practice on.  I really just need to find like 5 threads and work on one at a time.  The 5 keys are very important and I think I just need to get more specific with each one

Here is my swing for today.  I had some other swings but the person filming me didn't do a fantastic job so I just kept this one.  I was working on the central pivot and I got some very good results.  This video was taken after about 70 balls and it was hot so I think I was getting tired but I felt my swing was much better than the previous videos.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54540/a-centered-pivot

I am going to keep posting these swings with what I am working on to help myself and hopefully get some feedback from other members.  I hope its okay that I use this thread as a sort of swing log

I am told my LSW book has arrived so I will see if this swing change and the book help my game this weekend

Note: This thread is 2783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!