Sign in to follow this  
slinkee

My Swing (slinkee)

Note: This thread is 2004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 posts / 757 viewsLast Reply

I've been playing golf for 7 years.

My current handicap is 10

My typical driver ball flight is a fade, but lately it's turned into a huge, ballooning slice. My irons are much more consistent, although my typical miss with those tends to be either a slight fade or slight draw.

The shot I hate the most and what I'm trying to get rid of is this enormous slice that I've suddenly acquired with my driver over the past few weeks. Looking at my own swing video I see several faults, but wanted to see if you pro's here could point them out and how to correct them. :)

Videos:

Face on (I apologize apparently I trimmed off the last half second or so of this video, but hopefully it's enough to work with):

Down the line:

Think you guys can fix me?? These two drives were the only ones I hit straight all day, haha ... figures. Still seems like there's some very apparent, horrendous problems, though!

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

A few things, it looks like you open the face way up on the backswing. I see some major issues with your follow through also. It seems very flat? Also neither arm is straight in your follow through, not sure I've ever seen that before. Also it looks like you are hitting down on the ball with your driver quite a bit. Hopefully @iacas , @mvmac , or someone else with a lot more knowledge than me can come give more constructive information and advice.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You are very correct on the follow through. No matter how hard I try I'm having to try and save the shot with my hands and arms. When I try and have more passive arms it seems to result in a massive slice most likely due to the open club face. I think my backswing is a huge part of this problem?

You are very correct on the follow through. No matter how hard I try I'm having to try and save the shot with my hands and arms. When I try and have more passive arms it seems to result in a massive slice most likely due to the open club face. I think my backswing is a huge part of this problem?

It's very possible because being out of position at the top of the backswing causes a lot of manipulation on the downswing. I really hesitate to give advice though, because I'm nowhere near a good player right now.

Your best bet in the meantime is using this link:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/74723/introduction-to-the-purestrike-5-simple-keys-5sk-learning-system

Need more "Rickie Fowler" on the takeaway. Hands move out and away from you, causing the forearms and the club rotate too much getting the shaft very shallow and causing you to steepen it coming down. Club head is outside the hands in the right pic

So do some mirror work making it look more like this, shaft pointing just inside the ball a few inches.

And watch this for more feels

Note: This thread is 2004 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2019 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    • Felt like I was hacking the ball around on Monday, but in the end, shot a 78. Yesterday's round was a ho-um 75. 2 birdies, 12 pars, 3 bogeys, and 1 double. On the tee in an hour.
    • The calendar says that today’s the 13th.  So, the specific Rules for Putting Greens are our focus for today. What’s new for 2019? The two biggest changes are: DAMAGE ON THE PUTTING GREEN A player may repair almost any damage on the putting green or to the hole. (Note: Natural surface blemishes or imperfections resulting from normal greenskeeping practices may not be repaired.) (R13.1c) FLAGSTICK MAY BE LEFT IN If, as a result of a stroke made from anywhere on or off the putting green, a player's ball strikes an unattended flagstick, they must play the ball as it lies. No penalty. (R13.2a & b) First, the Definition: Putting Green - The area on the hole the player is playing that: Is specially prepared for putting, or the Committee has defined as the putting green (such as when a temporary green is used). The putting green for a hole contains the hole into which the player tries to play a ball. The putting green is one of the five defined areas of the course. The putting greens for all other holes (which the player is not playing at the time) are wrong greens and part of the general area. The edge of a putting green is defined by where it can be seen that the specially prepared area starts (such as where the grass has been distinctly cut to show the edge), unless the Committee defines the edge in a different way (such as by using a line or dots). If a double green is used for two different holes: The entire prepared area containing both holes is treated as the putting green when playing each hole. But the Committee may define an edge that divides the double green into two different putting greens, so that when a player is playing one of the holes, the part of the double green on the side of the edge that is used for the other hole is a wrong green. ***************************** Rule 13 - Putting Greens Purpose of Rule: Rule 13 is a specific Rule for putting greens. Putting greens are specially prepared for playing the ball along the ground and there is a flagstick for the hole on each putting green, so certain different Rules apply than for other areas of the course. 13.1 Actions Allowed or Required on Putting Greens Purpose of Rule: This Rule allows the player to do things on the putting green that are normally not allowed off the putting green, such as being allowed to mark, lift, clean and replace a ball and to repair damage and remove sand and loose soil on the putting green. There is no penalty for accidentally causing a ball or ball-marker to move on the putting green. 13.2 The Flagstick Purpose of Rule: This Rule covers the player’s choices for dealing with the flagstick. The player may leave the flagstick in the hole or have it removed (which includes having someone attend the flagstick and remove it after the ball is played), but must decide before making a stroke. There is normally no penalty if a ball in motion hits the flagstick. What are the parts of Rule 13? 13.1 Actions Allowed or Required on Putting Greens 13.2 The Flagstick 13.3 Ball Overhanging Hole https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=13 Interpretations for Rule 13: https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=interp&section=rule&rulenum=13
    • Here is something that comes to mind with many swings methods I see when it comes to the coaches, teachers, and most simply those trying to help other golfers, etc. BTW, I appreciate teachers, coaches, etc., so don't take offense. There is something to be said about those that have hit thousands of golf balls with any swing method as well as what they learn through teaching and playing. At some point our bodies and minds will "get it." I don't teach golf, but when I teach and practice other things I learn more because I teach myself as well. I believe that is why different swing methods work because of what each person has learned to do. Ever notice how one says do this, do that, and yet that all disagree with each other? I know when I go to my personal practice area and hit balls with understanding in mind, I simply play better because I hit better, no matter what swing I use whether it is a planned stage swing, single plane, easy swing, whatever you want to call it. From what I can tell there is no special secret(s) about the golf swing, but learning and doing in a certain manner or method if you prefer will produce outcome. My point is, after watching tons of golf videos, the true constant that I have observed proven out over and over again is because it is still hitting tons of balls and constant practice that inevitably produces the results. Am I wrong or missing something here? To me, a swing that is easy on my body and minimal tension will make for an overall better golf game and would be the best one to pursue, no matter all the secrets, tips, etc. You golfers have any thoughts?
    • Every once in a while Mickelson’s true character peeks out. It is amusing to watch all those who have bought his career long b.s. become confused by it all. The signs are there. People just ignore them because ... smiley face.
    • I've always found it easier to play sports when the ball is moving as well. I used to play volleyball for school as well as squash and football (proper footie, not that American one where you carry the ball ). I dont know why but i always found it easier to hit or kick the ball well. With golf where the ball isn't moving and I'm pretty much static i always found it tough to make good contact. I'm hoping the JV swing not only protects my kidneys but helps me be consistent.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. GGRadio1213
      GGRadio1213
      (29 years old)
    2. Kloeshuman
      Kloeshuman
      (52 years old)
    3. MichaelViolence
      MichaelViolence
      (45 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...