IGNORED

Update on my golfers elbow

yellowboy
Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last PT today - given a lot of weird strengthening exercises.  Improved a lot more than I thought I had.  Good thing we took a baseline the first day.  I'll start lifting again and keep working this thing.  Hopefully gone in a couple months or I'll be getting x-rays and seeing if I'm going to follow Yellow under the knife.

Keep up with the exercises and icing, etc.  I am three years removed from shoulder surgery and 6 from knee surgery and I still do the exercises three days a week.  I don't want to go back under the knife.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Well the EMG did not show a pinched nerve. So the MD said wait and see if it goes away. Not real happy about it, but it's the lesser of 2 evils. ( numbness vs. pain. )

Keep up with the exercises and icing, etc.  I am three years removed from shoulder surgery and 6 from knee surgery and I still do the exercises three days a week.  I don't want to go back under the knife.

Tried one of my normal weight routines -  very conscious of the elbow strain and keeping the joint tight during all the reps - (pushups, pullups, shoulders, bi's, tri's)  different exercise each round.  Stopping in between each to message the forearm of the bad arm to 'teach' it to stay relaxed and stretched.  Only one really good ZING on the second set of curls.....reset and do it.  Only medium weights this time.

Finished with the elbow therapy - (consists of deep message, eccentric forearm lifting, and some rotator cuff basics)

Good sign - after, I did quite a bit of stretching and the 'bad' arm is now more flexible and loose than the 'good' arm....or is that a bad sign........

Didn't have to reset the elbow joint even once.

Will see how much it hurts tomorrow or not.  I'm wondering if lifting without the brace, but then sleeping with the brace might facilitate the healing best, no strain on the connection when I'm unable to self monitor......

Definitely getting better......

Bill - 

I have posted this on other threads. I have both tennis elbow and golfers elbow in both arms. It was so bad that I was taking 800 IU of Ibuprofen with minimal effect. The pain is vey distracting to the golf swing to say the least.

While searching the web to find some type of typical pain killer, I happened across CTCream. It relieves the pain and reduces the inflamation that causes the pain. After a few weeks of use, the pain is essentially gone. I still use the cream periodically since the repeated motion will caue the pain to flare up again if not kept in check. A jar of CTCream Plus costs just $11.99. It will last for weeks (even months). I keep a jar on my work computer and home computer. I've been essentially pain free for years.

Try it. Rub just a dab where you feel the pain. It takes a little while but it works. I've recommended this to dozens of people. Let me know if it helps.

The CT in CTCream stands for Carpal Tunnel which is the inflamation of the wrist tendon. Works wonders there too.

I avoid surgery at all costs. I've heard horror stories from botched operations.

Just ordered some CTCream.  Also bought a wrap device that goes into the freezer before putting around the elbow (my doctor did recommend ice).  Will post again in the future to let others know how it all works.  I'm with you about "the knife".  Would have to be life threatening before I'd let some body mechanic cut into me.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

Just ordered some CTCream.  Also bought a wrap device that goes into the freezer before putting around the elbow (my doctor did recommend ice).  Will post again in the future to let others know how it all works.  I'm with you about "the knife".  Would have to be life threatening before I'd let some body mechanic cut into me.

I think you'll like the results.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried these for golfers/tennis elbow? Research shows they work and they are only $15 on amazon. I have been using one for a year or so due to elbow problems from lifting weights and sleeping with my arms bent. Its awesome and has really helped me quite a bit. Anyway, if you havent tried it, its worth the money to give it a go. Also, pay attention to things you are doing with your arms bent for a long time - that contributes a lot (just like me sleeping with them bent).

Driver - Ping G15 12 Degree Loft
3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
4-PW - Taylormade Burner 2.0
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

I've had golfers elbow for the last 9 months.  It started to feel better once I put the golf clubs away but flared up from shoveling and trying to scrap the ice off the ground.  I've never worn a band or sleeve but I plan to give them a try as the pain seems to have gotten worse since the summer.

I think hitting off of mats is definitely worse for it than hitting off of grass.

Joe Paradiso

• 4 months later...
I've had golfers elbow for the last 9 months.  It started to feel better once I put the golf clubs away but flared up from shoveling and trying to scrap the ice off the ground.  I've never worn a band or sleeve but I plan to give them a try as the pain seems to have gotten worse since the summer.

I think hitting off of mats is definitely worse for it than hitting off of grass.

I agree about the mats. I was getting pre-symptoms last year near my L (lead side) arm 'funny bone' after doing a lot of mat work in the winter and taking fairly deep divots on grass early in season.

I found these types of stretches (plus some icing) helpful in overcoming symptoms:

To keep symptoms at bay I worked to strengthen the opposing forearm muscles. I hold one or both arms out like the girl facing the wall, but without external pressure from a wall, I use the muscles on the outer elbow side to pull the fingers down to the ground and isometrically tense those muscles holding the fingers down until I feel a little burn. I do this throughout the day and despite similar range work, the elbow is much better this year.

Also toward the end of last year I shallowed out my club path through the ball a bit by getting a bit more hip thrust toward target while keeping the head back (more secondary axis tilt) so the contact with mats or the ground wasn't as steep, sharp, and jarring - which also helpfully allowed me to ease up on the grip pressure.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

I agree about the mats. I was getting pre-symptoms last year near my L (lead side) arm 'funny bone' after doing a lot of mat work in the winter and taking fairly deep divots on grass early in season.

I found these types of stretches (plus some icing) helpful in overcoming symptoms:

To keep symptoms at bay I worked to strengthen the opposing forearm muscles. I hold one or both arms out like the girl facing the wall, but without external pressure from a wall, I use the muscles on the outer elbow side to pull the fingers down to the ground and isometrically tense those muscles holding the fingers down until I feel a little burn. I do this throughout the day and despite similar range work, the elbow is much better this year.

Also toward the end of last year I shallowed out my club path through the ball a bit by getting a bit more hip thrust toward target while keeping the head back (more secondary axis tilt) so the contact with mats or the ground wasn't as steep, sharp, and jarring - which also helpfully allowed me to ease up on the grip pressure.

I like those stretches! I completely forgot about those until you posted them. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

I like those stretches! I completely forgot about those until you posted them. Thanks for the reminder!!!!

Sure. I found frequency of stretching with several periods per day of a few sets of 3-5 second duration stretches to be most helpful vs. one big daily session.

Kevin

Sure. I found frequency of stretching with several periods per day of a few sets of 3-5 second duration stretches to be most helpful vs. one big daily session.

Thanks @natureboy I'll definitely give them a try.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks @natureboy I'll definitely give them a try.

Also forgot - frequent self-massage of the area in pain to help release any muscle spasms that may be affecting the nerves.

Kevin

Also forgot - frequent self-massage of the area in pain to help release any muscle spasms that may be affecting the nerves.

I have been doing self massage just to help relieve some of the pain.  What's crazy is my right arm is feeling better but my left arm (right by the funny bone) has really flared up and hurting much worse than my right arm ever did.  Sucks getting old.

Joe Paradiso

I have been doing self massage just to help relieve some of the pain.  What's crazy is my right arm is feeling better but my left arm (right by the funny bone) has really flared up and hurting much worse than my right arm ever did.  Sucks getting old.

Two other things that I think helped me:

I tried to limit resting my L (lead) arm on the car window when I drive. I found that to be a nerve-irritating position. I now try to leave it in my lap to help relax that forearm without pressure around the elbow.

Also, I include some isometric stretches where I spread fingers on both hands as wide as I can and hold for a few seconds into the massage / forearm stretching routine.

Kevin

• 5 weeks later...
I have been golfing for years shoulder and wrist pain have always been two of my biggest obstacles to having a good time when I'm out on the course. I have been using a product called triheat both before and after I play which has helped tremendously. I also warm up longer to further help my injuries from acting up.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that working on wrist and shoulder mobility have really helped eliminate elbow tendonitis flare ups.  I still do eccentric stretches like MouseyMouse showed pics of above, along with Elbow Revive to stave off any inflammation.  Those two things together have worked wonders for me this summer.  At this point, I know prevention is the best medicine.

I'm glad you are feeling better, I've gotten use to the pain and figure it's not going to get better until the winter gets here and I cut back on how frequently I play golf and practice.  The pain is tolerable without advil so I only take advil before a round.  I've done the exercises and massage which may have prevented them from getting worse but I don't think they are getting better.

Joe Paradiso

have you tried transverse friction massage, trigger point therapy, myofascial release and chiropractic elbow manipulations?  these treatments have helped many people I know with similar  problems.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Note: This thread is 3144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!