Sign in to follow this  
jetsknicks1

I'm going to Ireland!!

Note: This thread is 1577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

89 posts / 14424 viewsLast Reply

You'll have a brilliant time, I know I loved it when I was there.  One thing I remember, we had rainy and VERY windy weather, so I had a bowl of seafood chowder at every golf clubhouse after the round, along with the obligatory pint (or three) of the black stuff.  The absolute best chowder was served in the Ballybunion clubhouse.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

You'll have a brilliant time, I know I loved it when I was there.  One thing I remember, we had rainy and VERY windy weather, so I had a bowl of seafood chowder at every golf clubhouse after the round, along with the obligatory pint (or three) of the black stuff.  The absolute best chowder was served in the Ballybunion clubhouse.

Thanks for the heads up on the chowder :-).

Thanks buddy, I'm really looking forward to it. First time in Ireland First time playing an ocean course First time using a caddie I am a bit nervous about who I'll be paired with though, I'd hate to get paired up with 3 low HC's and end up holding them up lol

Thanks buddy, I'm really looking forward to it.

First time in Ireland

First time playing an ocean course

First time using a caddie

I am a bit nervous about who I'll be paired with though, I'd hate to get paired up with 3 low HC's and end up holding them up lol

Unlikely to happen.

I played with a guy from Nebraska(a neighboring state so we talked alot) who was about a 16 handicap and also with a husband/wife who were 20/30+ handicaps from Belgium.

Well the day is finally here, we leave today! I can't believe I started this thread almost a year ago and it's finally time to go. I'll be playing Ballybunion on Monday and it looks like I'll get a second round in with a friend in Glenealey. Plenty of pics to follow :-D

Well the day is finally here, we leave today! I can't believe I started this thread almost a year ago and it's finally time to go. I'll be playing Ballybunion on Monday and it looks like I'll get a second round in with a friend in Glenealey. Plenty of pics to follow

Can't wait to see the pics, hope you get great weather!

Played Ballybunion on Monday and all I can say is WOW, what an absolutely stunning golf course. We had beautiful weather too, blue skies, not too chilly and the wind laid down for most of the round but when it did kick up, it became a whole other course lol. I didn't shoot very well but that's okay because I didn't keep score but I did manage a few pars, including one on the par three 8th :-). My only complaint was my caddie. He was okay to start but as the round went on, you could tell that he was getting frustrated with two of my playing partners and probably myself as well. I played with a dad and his two grown sons, the dad was the only other one with a caddie. Dad and the younger sons were ok golfers and the other guy was a scratch player. What bothered me the most was that as the round went on my caddie seemed more interested in talking with and helping the scratch golfer than spending time with me (not the golfers fault he was a very nice guy). Oh well, I did not let it ruin my round. It was a gorgeous day, with some good company, on an excellent golf course. I hope all my photos came out well and I'll post pics when I get back.

Congratulations, I'm glad you enjoyed Ballybunion, I'll be interested to see your pictures.  I have just two questions.  Did you miss the graveyard?  And how was the chowder?

For the life of me I can't even remember hitting my first tee shot at Ballybunion, I don't even remember seeing the graveyard. It's strange......

For the life of me I can't even remember hitting my first tee shot at Ballybunion, I don't even remember seeing the graveyard. It's strange......

Obviously you missed it!  I'm pretty sure I'd remember hitting my second from between the headstones.

Well unfortunately there will be no pics :-(. My wife left the camera in the rental car and of course, Hertz claims they never found it. Oh well, it's still the best golfing experience of my life.......... So far. :-D

Well unfortunately there will be no pics . My wife left the camera in the rental car and of course, Hertz claims they never found it. Oh well, it's still the best golfing experience of my life.......... So far.

Which travel bag are you using for the clubs ?

Which travel bag are you using for the clubs ?

Since it wasn't a golf trip and I only got to play once, I just rented clubs at Ballybunion.

My wife and I both use ClubGlove travel bags.  I have the BurstProof, which is just fine for my Sun Mountain three5.  My wife has a little larger Ping bag, so she uses the Last Bag.  So far, so good, no problems at all with either of them

Note: This thread is 1577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!