IGNORED

Has anyone else experienced - People who Live on Courses Acting Like Golf Course Isn't There?

BallSeeker
Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My home course is smack dab in the middle of a nice neighborhood, and the holes that don't border houses border woods and a field. It seems as if some of the people who live in the houses have no respect toward the course and the people who pay to play there. Sometimes I see kids crossing the fairways to get to the woods trails or other houses, and most of the time they do NOT look at the tee boxes when they do. Other times, I've seen them skateboarding on the cart paths; I've even seen a few middle aged couples biking on the paths. Once I ran into a guy fishing in a hazard that's behind one of the greens in a spot that's invisible to the fairway. My foursome and I hit into the green, and only saw him when we got there. He could have easily been hit by an errant approach, but looked as if he was miffed by us disturbing him when we putted out. Another time I was teeing it up with a friend on the third hole when we spotted something in the left fairway bunker. #3 is a dogleg left where you stand a good chance of cutting across it and ending up with a short wedge in. A well curved shot will pass right over that bunker, which had kids making sand castles in it while the mom looked on. One of them threw the rakes into the fairway. They left about ten seconds before we were going to call the pro shop after we had waved and yelled for a bit. I'm sorry this turned into a rant, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences like these and if I am justifiably mad. Do I have a right to get upset about this? Edit: readability

I've never seen anything like that on the courses I've played that are bordered by houses.  I would mention it to the pro shop people, especially since it's not a one time thing.

Might be just some of the quirks of suburban golf. I can't say because at least 98 percent of the rounds I play are on rural courses.

I know if I lived there and knew there were fish in that pond, I'd be making casts to them. I'd just have to take my chances with errant golf shots.

John

Is there a trailer park near by? :-)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually, it's not that uncommon. Sometimes neighborhood residents, especially if they live right on the course treat the course as an extension of their own yard. The best thing to do is call the pro shop when you see something out of place, especially an unsafe condition or something that might damage the course.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Is there a trailer park near by?

This is a very common occurrence on suburban golf courses. The fishing isn't a problem in most cases, and honestly I think we should share the course with others as long as they are respectful of the golfers and keep themselves out of danger.

With respect to kids playing on the course it shouldn't happen but it does, I had to chase down 3 girls who didn't realize we were on the tee box and they stole my ball out of a fairway bunker...the dad was in the back yard and apologized but didn't really say anything to the kids.

If the adults don't play golf they are pretty ignorant to the etiquette as well as the danger...they just don't realize someone could really get hurt.

If I see kids making sand castles I'll politely ask them to leave and let them know they could get hurt, it is always a good idea to alert the pro shop. We live on the 9th hole on a suburban course and see dog walkers and cyclists fairly often in the evening when the course is empty. I play some late rounds and it doesn't really bother me.

Taylormade SLDR 10.5

Ping Anser 4-PW

Ping Anser 52,54,60

Ping G25 3 Wood 15

Ping I20 4 Hybrid

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7

Is there a trailer park near by?

Not at all.

I've never seen anything like that on the courses I've played that are bordered by houses.  I would mention it to the pro shop people, especially since it's not a one time thing.

I've considered it, but there's not really anything they can do.   The course is very spread out and it would be hard to watch it all.  These incidents are also rather isolated.  i.e. once every month.

My home course is smack dab in the middle of a nice neighborhood, and the holes that don't border houses border woods and a field. It seems as if some of the people who live in the houses have no respect toward the course and the people who pay to play there. Sometimes I see kids crossing the fairways to get to the woods trails or other houses, and most of the time they do NOT look at the tee boxes when they do. Other times, I've seen them skateboarding on the cart paths; I've even seen a few middle aged couples biking on the paths. Once I ran into a guy fishing in a hazard that's behind one of the greens in a spot that's invisible to the fairway. My foursome and I hit into the green, and only saw him when we got there. He could have easily been hit by an errant approach, but looked as if he was miffed by us disturbing him when we putted out. Another time I was teeing it up with a friend on the third hole when we spotted something in the left fairway bunker. #3 is a dogleg left where you stand a good chance of cutting across it and ending up with a short wedge in. A well curved shot will pass right over that bunker, which had kids making sand castles in it while the mom looked on. One of them threw the rakes into the fairway. They left about ten seconds before we were going to call the pro shop after we had waved and yelled for a bit. I'm sorry this turned into a rant, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences like these and if I am justifiably mad. Do I have a right to get upset about this? Edit: readability

If I figured the cost of your round not only how much you payed to play, but the dollar value of your bag and contents, lessons and range balls, the car that got you there, the money you could have made doing something else with your time, I frankly find it amusing all you could muster was some rather feeble shouting and waving. Kudos for your self control!

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

This is a very common occurrence on suburban golf courses. The fishing isn't a problem in most cases, and honestly I think we should share the course with others as long as they are respectful of the golfers and keep themselves out of danger.

With respect to kids playing on the course it shouldn't happen but it does, I had to chase down 3 girls who didn't realize we were on the tee box and they stole my ball out of a fairway bunker...the dad was in the back yard and apologized but didn't really say anything to the kids.

If the adults don't play golf they are pretty ignorant to the etiquette as well as the danger...they just don't realize someone could really get hurt.

If I see kids making sand castles I'll politely ask them to leave and let them know they could get hurt, it is always a good idea to alert the pro shop. We live on the 9th hole on a suburban course and see dog walkers and cyclists fairly often in the evening when the course is empty. I play some late rounds and it doesn't really bother me.

Yeah, this is more or less what happens around here. Although, the houses near the golf course are pretty expensive. I'm sure the parents of the kids put them in a Gymboree class to use sterilized magic foam beads to make their "sand castles".

I have recently seen a lot more cyclists, walkers and runners. They use the rest room facilities and sometimes purchase food along the road and cart path areas.

It's kind of a part of life. I've also hit my fair share of rooftops with errant shots in the past. My fear is hitting drives parallel to the road and possibly injuring a pedestrian, so I aim into the wooded areas along the fairway away from the road on those holes.

I suppose we need to share the land with other people, since they pay some of the taxes to help keep the lawns watered and the roads maintained.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've considered it, but there's not really anything they can do.   The course is very spread out and it would be hard to watch it all.  These incidents are also rather isolated.  i.e. once every month.

I disagree, it's a business and presumably someone's property.  The owners could contact the people living in the area and remind them to stay off the course, especially during business hours.

The courses where I've played where I've seen people running or biking have separate bike paths for those people to use and signs warning those people to stay off the course's cart paths.  I've also played at a course where I was warned that the people living next to it will call the police on you if you hit a ball into their yard and make an attempt to get it back, so as far as I am concerned turnabout is fair play.

I disagree, it's a business and presumably someone's property.  The owners could contact the people living in the area and remind them to stay off the course, especially during business hours. The courses where I've played where I've seen people running or biking have separate bike paths for those people to use and signs warning those people to stay off the course's cart paths.  I've also played at a course where I was warned that the people living next to it will call the police on you if you hit a ball into their yard and make an attempt to get it back, so as far as I am concerned turnabout is fair play.

This course is the polar opposite. I hooked a drive straight onto a roof, hit my provisional, and was walking up to that in the fairway when a guy walks out of one of the houses. He tossed me my Callaway and said, "Wow! I've never seem anyone hit the road before."

The only thing thatwould bother me would be the sand castles. If it were near dark, let them have fun.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The only thing thatwould bother me would be the sand castles. If it were near dark, let them have fun.

The sand castles made an impression on me too. I wonder if I hit into the keep, would that be considered a jailed ball?

More importantly, which club do I need to use?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My club is in a gated community and we deal with kids vandalizing greens and fairways at least a couple of times a year.

People play with their dogs on the green and walk them on the course as people are teeing off.

I've chased numerous kids off of the course when they are using the bunkers as a sand box (kids too old to be playing in a sandbox)

The club tried to leave the bathrooms unlocked so they wouldnt break the locks on them.

There are no trespassing signs everywhere but they are ignored - calling the pro shop will do little, with the staff cutbacks, it is unlikely anyone will get out there in time.

I can always tell who the non-golfers are driving through the neighborhood - the golfers will always let the carts cross in front of them. The non-golfers will run the stop signs at a 4 way stop even when the cart has the right of way.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Never had a bad experience with folks who live on a course. I've hit balls onto a couple yards, with out breaking anything I might add, and the people were kind enough to help me find my ball, one of them, I hit into some shrubs, and a lady in her late 50's or so came out and helped me look for my ball, never found it, but she was nice enough to help.

I've had people say hi, how's your round going, things like that...I guess I'm just likable...., :-$

my local track has some home owners act like they hate the course being there. act all pissy when the have to pick up golf balls from their yards that back up to a short streight par 4. the course was there before their houses were and if they just moved in they should be aware of what they are moving into. as for people walking dogs or riding bikes on the course I say they should stay off. golf course is not a park. plus I am sure that all the chems a course uses is not good for dogs or kids. funny thing about my local track. is the front 9 most of the home owners are a holes and the back 9 people seem to know where they live. on the back there are 2 houses that the kids set up on the edge of the woods and sell cool aid and golf balls. I always buy something, I even buaght a couple of my golf balls back. :). and yes I would rather se a kid selling me my golf balls back to me. he found it cleaned it and set up shop to make video game money. a dog walker or biker on the course well they just think they are entitled.

[QUOTE name="vangator" url="/t/75430/has-anyone-else-experienced-people-who-live-on-courses-acting-like-golf-course-isnt-there#post_1011116"] The only thing thatwould bother me would be the sand castles. If it were near dark, let them have fun.[/QUOTE] The sand castles made an impression on me too. I wonder if I hit into the keep, would that be considered a jailed ball? More importantly, which club do I need to use?

EW....(escape wedge)

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I find the claim "kids making sandcastles with mom" in a fairway bunker difficult to believe.  With that said, I've seen the occasional early morning walkers on cart paths.  I normally play at sunrise and they don't bother us.   We ignore them and swing away.....if they accidentally become in the line of fire, we yell FORE. No biggie...   I've seen resident ball hawkers on the rare occasion....we ignore them too.  They hunt for balls at their own risk....

The most interesting thing I've seen?..............a hunter walked across the fairway carrying a bow dressed in what looked more like sniper gear than that of a hunter.  The outfit looked something like this.........

He passed slowly across the fairway without a care in the world and we patiently waited to let him pass!!  LOL...... ya never know what will happen if we hit into him.  He might lob an arrow at us from long range!!  This isn't something you'd expect to see on a golf course.

has anyone seen the show "chasing tail"?   It's a show about deer hunters that hunt in urban areas to rid residents of trouble making deer.  There was an episode where they got permission to hunt a golf course during golf season! LOL.....of course, I watched this episode well after my personal experience!!

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!