IGNORED

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

mvmac

For a right hand golfer:    Is the right index finger used as a trigger, slightly separated from the the middle finger or just placed on the grip next to the middle finger?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
12 hours ago, dennyjones said:

For a right hand golfer:    Is the right index finger used as a trigger, slightly separated from the the middle finger or just placed on the grip next to the middle finger?

Different for different people.

I prefer it to be closer, because splitting it out encourages people to "throw" the trail wrist a bit more. Not always, but that's the tendency.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 12/7/2018 at 7:31 PM, Puttin4Dough said:

I'd say it's the opposite...beginners have strong left-hand grips.

No they don’t.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Puttin4Dough said:

Yes they do.

Well, gee, that settles it.

I'm going with what I said already:

On 12/7/2018 at 10:51 PM, iacas said:

Most beginners have weak palmy grips in my experience.

I think you're absolutely incorrect here, @Puttin4Dough, and I'd wager you a substantial sum of money.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well, gee, that settles it.

I'm going with what I said already:

I think you're absolutely incorrect here, @Puttin4Dough, and I'd wager you a substantial sum of money.

Let's put it this way, what grip - strong vs. weak - is easier for a beginner to use? 

Plus, what grip - stronger vs. weaker do the pro's use?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Puttin4Dough said:

Let's put it this way, what grip - strong vs. weak - is easier for a beginner to use? 

Plus, what grip - stronger vs. weaker do the pro's use?

That's not what was being discussed, so that's not something where you just say "let's put it this way."

I'm not sure you even understand what "stronger" and "weaker" grips mean at this point.

I strengthen a LOT of grips from the amateur golfers I teach. It's pretty rare that I ever have to weaken one… and that's usually when a student of mine seems to think that if a teaspoon is good, a few tablespoons are bound to be better.

• Administrator
Just now, Puttin4Dough said:

What do you take into account when changing someone's grip?

I'm not getting into this with someone who I'm not even sure understands what "stronger" or "weaker" means. I don't know that I could find an instructor of any repute who would agree that most amateurs have too strong a grip, as you asserted.

Just now, iacas said:

I'm not getting into this with someone who I'm not even sure understands what "stronger" or "weaker" means. I don't know that I could find an instructor of any repute who would agree that most amateurs have too strong a grip, as you asserted.

You're not getting into the most fundamental thing in golf?  The grip?  Ok.  You like to argue things that make no sense.  Of course a stronger left hand grip is easier to move the club.  Maybe try it.  Put your left hand under the club and take it back, then put it on top of the club   Come on man...I really don't get your posts.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Puttin4Dough said:

You're not getting into the most fundamental thing in golf?  The grip?  Ok.  You like to argue things that make no sense.  Of course a stronger left hand grip is easier to move the club.  Maybe try it.  Put your left hand under the club and take it back, then put it on top of the club   Come on man...I really don't get your posts.

The OP covers "the most fundamental thing in golf" and I agree with virtually every letter in it. So it's already been covered.

You asserted that most amateurs had a grip that's too strong. I disagree.

That's all there is to "get" at this point.

P.S. I can hit a ball straight with my left hand completely on top of the club… and with my right hand completely on top of the club. As in a ridiculously strong grip and a ridiculously weak grip.

Just now, iacas said:

The OP covers "the most fundamental thing in golf" and I agree with virtually every letter in it. So it's already been covered.

You asserted that most amateurs had a grip that's too strong. I disagree.

That's all there is to "get" at this point.

Let me answer the question.  The grip is where the arms / wrists naturally dangle when in an address position.  That would be considered a "neutral" grip.  From there it can be tweaked over time.  There's no "one grip fits all" that many instructors teach which makes a mess out of someone's swing from the get-go. 

Not saying you teach "one grip fits all", but many do.  It's so annoying.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Puttin4Dough said:

Let me answer the question.  The grip is where the arms / wrists naturally dangle when in an address position.  That would be considered a "neutral" grip.  From there it can be tweaked over time.  There's no "one grip fits all" that many instructors teach which makes a mess out of someone's swing from the get-go. 

Not saying you teach "one grip fits all", but many do.  It's so annoying.

I didn't ask a question, and I don't teach one grip to everyone.

But you're still way off base in saying that most golfers have a grip that's too strong.

This isn't going anywhere, so… let's just end this now. Thanks.

And, not for nothing, but if you're a 3.8 index or something, how about contributing meaningfully to the conversations here? Help some golfers. Share some of what you know, or engage in conversations and learn and help others learn. Please, rather than just saying "No they don't" and stuff like that, talk. Post. Engage. Learn. Discuss.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Kind of hard to believe that this thread has been in existence since 2014 and it's still HOT! I've been playing for over 50 years and I still wonder about the grip. Fiddle with it all the time! 

I don't teach adults, but have been teaching true beginners (young kids) alongside our head pro for years. When we work on their grips it's almost never that we have to weaken it. 99.9% of the time they pick up the club in the palm of their hands with a weak left hand grip. We have a heck of a time getting them to grip the club correctly.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

39 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

I don't teach adults, but have been teaching true beginners (young kids) alongside our head pro for years. When we work on their grips it's almost never that we have to weaken it. 99.9% of the time they pick up the club in the palm of their hands with a weak left hand grip. We have a heck of a time getting them to grip the club correctly.

I asked my friend here who is a pro who mostly teaches kids. He teaches the kids golf camps and the junior golf program as well. He agrees with you and @iacas and said he never sees a kid and seldom gets a beginner adult with too strong a grip.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

From my experience and the many pros I know, it's not really up for debate, most beginners have the grip too much in the palm of their lead hand. They'll grip it almost like a putting grip with both thumbs down the shaft.

4 hours ago, Puttin4Dough said:

It's not what is easier, they don't know how to grip it, they're just guessing. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 weeks later...

What are the pitfalls if any of an extremely strong grip? I see someone like Morten Madsen on the European Tour with what looks like a crazy strong grip.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

6 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

What are the pitfalls if any of an extremely strong grip? I see someone like Morten Madsen on the European Tour with what looks like a crazy strong grip.

I don’t think there really are any if it works for you. There are other factors in a golf swing that will be considered and maybe and extremely strong grip would cause issues. Or perhaps an extemely strong grip might help a player achieve something. It’s really a personalized feel with the only real flaw being palmy grips as it hinders the ability for a proper wrist hinge.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge