IGNORED

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

mvmac

Had a guy say something to me after the round that I was twisting my right hand under the club anytime I used to poor judgement of hitting driver. 

The big damn slice is back with a vengeance. Guess paying more attention to the grip is as good idea as I have right now. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

After another discussion about practice, and home, and so on, I decided to do some more variety of at-home practice (and I'll also get to courses to practice outside sometimes, too).  My plan at the moment is to go through the April 2020 Covid at-home practices, but in reviewing the first few days, I remembered early on it was discovered that I had some big grip problems.  Thank you again to everyone who helped out on that (a page or two back from here);  I was wondering if it's okay to post a check-up here? 

Earlier today I reviewed the grip help I was given earlier, practiced some with those in mind, and then went to film where I stand at the moment.  Here I'm trying for camera angles that show what I'm doing with the grip (same reason I'm not using a glove in this practice).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator

Too high up in your hand.

Palmy. 🙂

Seriously, y'all, STRETCH the pinkie side of your hand up and get the heel pad sitting on the top of the club.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

40 minutes ago, iacas said:

Too high up in your hand.

Palmy. 🙂

Thank you.  I hope the follow-up is okay, let me see if I understand enough;  I want to make sure I'm fixing this correctly.

First image:  how I'm currently gripping, at least step one (here's what it looks like when I've just started placing the grip).  I place it in the third of the fingers that are closest to the palm.  

2021_07_13_grip_Palmy.thumb.jpg.1227060a497eae8bbde54580e8d7ee1b.jpg

Perhaps it should be, instead, this, starting in the middle third of each?  Here it is, where I started there and then started to close the hand (pausing to take the picture).

2021_07_13_grip_might_be_better.thumb.jpg.bb6c2d9c3560a9b50c42e003130be27d.jpg

Regardless, I'll review again, especially the helpful videos from @boogielicious and @mvmac from last year. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

2021_07_13_grip_might_be_better.thumb.jpg.bb6c2d9c3560a9b50c42e003130be27d.jpg

Regardless, I'll review again, especially the helpful videos from @boogielicious and @mvmac from last year. 

That looks like it has the correct intention there, like you're holding a suitcase or hammer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

9 hours ago, mvmac said:

That looks like it has the correct intention there, like you're holding a suitcase or hammer.

Thank you.  I'm going to practice this and I will check back in (much sooner than I did last time).  

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

I filmed this video for my online Evolvr students primarily, and I'll link to it (and this post) in the first topic.

I commonly see people gripping the golf club much too far up into the palm of their hands rather than down in the fingers where it belongs. This video, which in jest I was calling "The Ultimate Grip Video" for my online Evolvr students, covers the poor and better ways to grip the golf club.

If you'd like to play a drinking game, take a drink every time I say "Okay?". You won't last to the midpoint. 😉 I'll do a better job in the future.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks!    That video was.....      gripping.  

• Booooooooo 1
  • Funny 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I filmed this video for my online Evolvr students primarily, and I'll link to it (and this post) in the first topic.

I commonly see people gripping the golf club much too far up into the palm of their hands rather than down in the fingers where it belongs. This video, which in jest I was calling "The Ultimate Grip Video" for my online Evolvr students, covers the poor and better ways to grip the golf club.

If you'd like to play a drinking game, take a drink every time I say "Okay?". You won't last to the midpoint. 😉 I'll do a better job in the future.

Thanks Erik.     I'm sitting here at my computer working on just this.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

But seriously, pretty solid explanation with good visuals. I’m actually going to make sure I’m gripping as Erik shows here.image.gif.a162cc6e62a2759f1f0ca3344573e0cf.gif

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Deja vu

This was exactly what you told me last week, right down to the sword fight.  It will be a good refresher. Thx

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

How do you guys decide on grip strength, I often tinker with this aspect of the grip never sure if something stronger or weaker might be more optimal

2 hours ago, Nail said:

How do you guys decide on grip strength, I often tinker with this aspect of the grip never sure if something stronger or weaker might be more optimal

Squirming cat. Don’t kill it, but don’t let it go. 

The problem with many is that they squeeze hard enough that it tenses the forearms and up. Or it’s so light, they can’t create speed. Take a club and swing as fast as you can without thinking of mechanics but notice grip strength. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

23 minutes ago, phillyk said:

The problem with many is that they squeeze hard enough that it tenses the forearms and up. Or it’s so light, they can’t create speed. Take a club and swing as fast as you can without thinking of mechanics but notice grip strength. 

What if you’re allergic to cats.😜

Excellent tip.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I think he was talking about grip strength not how firmly you hold the club.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think he was talking about grip strength not how firmly you hold the club.

Ah, yes, that’s probably right. 

Well, that answer is somewhere between BD and DJ. Really depends on the other parts of the swing. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, hoonnirun said:

Is the grip look okay?

You don't really seat it deep into the pinkie finger:

01.jpg

Did you watch the video a few posts earlier? The one where I'm in the red shirt?