IGNORED

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

mvmac

You can always become a Supporter ;-)  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/54272/become-a-supporter layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]

He should probably just give you $1,000 ;-)

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
Quote:

Another common mistake in the left pic, right thumb is running down the middle of the grip. A more functional position on the right, just the upper right "tip" of the thumb is in contact with the grip. Left pic position can contribute more to "casting" or losing leverage at too fast a rate.

Hi Mike, I've been working on this in conjunction with my swing thread, and just wanted to clarify what you meant by the tip of your right thumb being in contact with the grip. From the photo, it looks more like the tip of the thumb is hanging out over the left side, while the ball of the thumb would be right on top of the grip. I've taken to using the photo as a blueprint for my grip.

Chris.:roll:

Hi Mike, I've been working on this in conjunction with my swing thread, and just wanted to clarify what you meant by the tip of your right thumb being in contact with the grip. From the photo, it looks more like the tip of the thumb is hanging out over the left side, while the ball of the thumb would be right on top of the grip. I've taken to using the photo as a blueprint for my grip.

In the OP I say, " A more functional position on the right, just the upper right 'tip' of the thumb is in contact with the grip." So here are a couple pics by what I mean by the right tip of the finger.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

In the OP I say, "A more functional position on the right, just the upper right 'tip' of the thumb is in contact with the grip." So here are a couple pics by what I mean by the right tip of the finger.

Thanks. Those red marks make it clearer.

Chris.:roll:

Ok, so I did two things different from my normal grip: extend the left thumb and not have the right thumb down the grip but rather, as explained above, just the contact described above. Hit some practice balls in the yards with my 7 iron. Immediate improvement!!!! My hat is off to you Mike :beer::beer:

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

Great thread. Amazing how correcting your grip can show instant results. Add in the other thread about shoulder turn and you are on your way to better contact. The key is getting comfortable with both especially for me with all clubs. Thanks for the great advice and pics and video to show us

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this thread! Turns out the grip I have been using is utter crap. Grip in the palm, hands turned all out of whack, etc etc.

I have a question though. I've been reading this thread and trying to line up the spots that are emphasized (grip in fingers of left hand not palm, drive a nail straight down into the grip, pad of pointer finger of right hand on aft side, curvature of rear hand fits into base of lead thumb) and my grip looks good from the top. Underneath seems off to me. I used to use an interlocking grip but switched to overlapping because my fingers would hurt after a while (could have also been from an improper grip to start with). So now when I grip the club properly my little finger on my right hand rests between my pointer finger and middle finger on my left hand and my ring finger on my right hand lays right over top of my pointer finger on my left hand. Like a 1 and a half finger overlapping grip. Is this ok or something I need to change?

Thanks for this thread! Turns out the grip I have been using is utter crap. Grip in the palm, hands turned all out of whack, etc etc.  I have a question though. I've been reading this thread and trying to line up the spots that are emphasized (grip in fingers of left hand not palm, drive a nail straight down into the grip, pad of pointer finger of right hand on aft side, curvature of rear hand fits into base of lead thumb) and my grip looks good from the top. Underneath seems off to me. I used to use an interlocking grip but switched to overlapping because my fingers would hurt after a while (could have also been from an improper grip to start with). So now when I grip the club properly my little finger on my right hand rests between my pointer finger and middle finger on my left hand and my ring finger on my right hand lays right over top of my pointer finger on my left hand. Like a 1 and a half finger overlapping grip. Is this ok or something I need to change?

If you can post a pic please do. I would typically recommend the ring finger of the right hand be in contact with the grip and not on top of the left index finger.

Mike McLoughlin

Ok, so I've managed to get just the one finger overlapping. Would still like some feedback/criticisms on my grip. It is definitely better than it was, but I would rather get it right now, then try to fix it again down the road.

• Upvote 1

Ok, so I've managed to get just the one finger overlapping. Would still like some feedback/criticisms on my grip. It is definitely better than it was, but I would rather get it right now, then try to fix it again down the road.

Still looks to be too much in the palm of your left hand.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Still looks to be too much in the palm of your left hand.

Yes @WatchOutLeft just make sure the "nail" coming out of your left hand would be hitting the middle of the grip and not on the left side.

The part with the fingers looks good.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Fantastic thread! Amazing amount of work has gone into the OP so firstly thanks for that! Lots resonating with me here but I still have some questions. My grip looks pretty textbook as far as the OP is concerned but for some reason I constantly battle the closing of my clubface at address, despite making sure everything is square when I take my grip, once I set it down behind the ball its worked its way shut! Even when I try to adjust to get back to square the clubface is doing its best to work its way closed again... Even as I'm typing this it seems crazy but I don't know any other way to describe it! This means for me lots and lots of pulls and hooks :no: When I just accept the closed clubface and swing away the ball goes remarkably straight, when I try to manipulate it back to square at impact, anything can happen.. Only other thing worth mentioning is that I have excessive wear on my lead (left) thumb, the wear is so severe that not only do I wear out my glove I have also worn an indentation into the grip on my Club where my left thumb rests! Not sure if anyone can make sense of all this but would appreciate it if you could have a go!! :-P

Even when I try to adjust to get back to square the clubface is doing its best to work its way closed again... Even as I'm typing this it seems crazy but I don't know any other way to describe it!

This means for me lots and lots of pulls and hooks

When I just accept the closed clubface and swing away the ball goes remarkably straight, when I try to manipulate it back to square at impact, anything can happen..

You can either set the face a little open before you grip it or learn not to worry about it and keep hitting it reasonably straight.

Only other thing worth mentioning is that I have excessive wear on my lead (left) thumb, the wear is so severe that not only do I wear out my glove I have also worn an indentation into the grip on my Club where my left thumb rests!

What kind of grips do you use?

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for the quick reply.. Just standard stock grips, think they are tour velvet or something similar.

Ok I would check to make sure the left thumb is long or stretched out a bit.

Mike McLoughlin

Ok I would check to make sure the left thumb is long or stretched out a bit.

Interesting you make this point, my left thumb is tucked up as small as it can possibly be, when I try to stretch it out it feels very unnatural... Maybe need to give this another go. I also had a lesson with my club pro today and after a few balls she immediately said that my closed clubface was down to my right hand, even though it looked like it was in the correct place the actual shaft was in the bottom of my palm very close to the base of my fingers but not quite in my fingers, this allowed the club to move around in my grip and work its way shut. Once this was fixed the club immediately felt more stable and my grip didn't move around at all. To put this to the test we lined up a row of balls and I was able to make my way along the row hitting balls without readjusting my grip.. As someone who has taken very very few lessons in my life it just shows the value of being checked out by someone who knows what they are looking for ! :-)