IGNORED

Bubba Watson's Trainer Q&A, Submit Your Questions!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bubba Watson's conditioning trainer, Andrew Fischer, has offered to answer questions submitted by you guys, The Sand Trap community. Erik and I will pick 10-20 questions from this thread for "Fish" to answer.  His answers will be put together in a Q&A; Sand Trap article.  So if there was anything you wanted to know about.....

- Bubba Watson

- PGA Tour life

- Golf fitness

- Fitness in general

- Nutrition

- Traveling the world

THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IN THIS THREAD!

Fish been Bubba Watson's conditioning coach since '09. You can find out more about him HERE (scroll to the "Showing his Emotions" section)

or here

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let me get this started.. What are some simple training exercises that you would recommend for us non-pros that we can do on a daily or every other day basis to really address the major fitness priorities that we need to help us in the short and long term? Either golf or fitness related, but most importantly be simple, short and interesting?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

What would be a typical non-tournament week work-out routine?

What would would be a typical tournament week work-out routine (including time of day based on tournament tee time)?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

What's Bubbas secret to hitting it so dang far???

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

What is more important in a golf swing workout, strength training or flexibility training? Is there a certain split you would recommend between the two? I would especially like to know the answer in relation to the hips.

Does heavy lifting hurt the golf swing?

Any secret muscle workouts you use to increase swing speed?

If you had to pick three exercises that would immensely help a golf swing what would they be?

James

How much do you attribute that lead foot coming off the ground and buffering the knee from taking on too much torque protects his knee vs say Woods's old move where his knee snap absorbs some major torque? Why does Adam Scott who has Woods's old swing pretty much not have knee problems the way Woods did?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It appears that Bubba's lower body moves are the key that lead to his extreme distance. His leg drive and firing of the hips are like no other. What fitness measures does Bubba do to increase strength and flexibility in these areas? What swing keys does Bubba work on that empowers leg drive and firing of the hips?

What are the best exercizes and stretches to increase shoulder and hip flexibility, especially in older players?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

How fast have you been in the General Lee?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Not a golf question ... I volunteer and lead a program for high school students at my work ... runs 1 night a week from Jan - May and we teach business skills to 20 high schools students that would not get the chance otherwise ... we show inspirational videos and this will be shown next year for sure:

So here is the question:

What advice would you give to high school students (any young adult) on goal setting ... what traps to avoid ... how to keep going on the darkest days ...

• Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

How important is the driver in Bubba's game, from a power perspective?  How does he effectively translate that power in the driver to the rest of his bag or is it the opposite?

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

What is the best part of working with someone like Bubba Watson on what I assume would be a daily (or at least close to it) basis?

why does he need a trainer? It does not really look like Bubba has good muscle tone or spends much time at all 'working out'. His distance is clearly attributable to the long circumference of his swing and to describe him as abnormally flexible would be an exaggeration.  Its common for celebrities in many professions  to hire trainers but never really use them with any real discipline or intensity over an extended period of time. Why is this case any different?

why does he need a trainer?

To answer your own question, name one big-name player (John Daly does not count) who doesn't have a trainer that they work with? McIlroy has one, Tiger has one, Adam Scott has one. It's not necessarily about getting ripped for them, but about staying in shape and making sure you're at least not losing distance you could have just by being in-shape. You may get a couple extra yards if you were ripped, but I imagine it really hurts your distance when your arms have to bend around your belly to make what appears to be a full swing.

why does he need a trainer? It does not really look like Bubba has good muscle tone or spends much time at all 'working out'. His distance is clearly attributable to the long circumference of his swing and to describe him as abnormally flexible would be an exaggeration.  Its common for celebrities in many professions  to hire trainers but never really use them with any real discipline or intensity over an extended period of time. Why is this case any different?

[quote name="Pretzel" url="/t/75456/bubba-watsons-trainer-q-a-submit-your-questions#post_1012436"]To answer your own question, name one big-name player (John Daly does not count) who doesn't have a trainer that they work with? McIlroy has one, Tiger has one, Adam Scott has one. It's not necessarily about getting ripped for them, but about staying in shape and making sure you're at least not losing distance you could have just by being in-shape. You may get a couple extra yards if you were ripped, but I imagine it really hurts your distance when your arms have to bend around your belly to make what appears to be a full swing. [/quote] To add to this, I'm sure it also helps with longevity as well? Prevents injuries and prolongs their career.

- Jered

I'm sure Fish will be able to answer :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'm on a tight budget and want to gain a few extra yards off the tee (hey, 'Lowest Score Wins' proves longer drives will help you shoot lower scores!) What is the best fitness strategy to add some yards without spending a lot of money? Edit:Watched the video after posting, wow. Awesome story.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Note: This thread is 3496 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!