IGNORED

Outer Banks NC, Corolla

Note: This thread is 2591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to Corolla for vacation.  Can anyone recommend a couple of good courses?  Quality is more important than price it is vacation after all.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Corolla is a bit out of the way. BUT- If you try the Pointe club, and the Kilmarlic Club, you wont be disappointed. They are on the other side of the Wright bridge on the mainland. There is Duck Woods in Duck as well, but I don't *think* they are public anymore. The courses on the beach seem to be overpriced and not highly recommended on the forum from what I remember.

They're all over priced in OBX, but I agree on Kilmarlic and The Pointe. Both are $70 (or have been the last few summers). The Pointe is definitely an easier course. In Corolla, there's only one course and it's pricey (~$125 I believe), I haven't made that plundge.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

If you are going to be in Corolla, I would save the travel time of the other courses and go to the Currituck Club. http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/The-Currituck-Club/Golf It is located right in Corolla next to the Harris Teeter grocery store.  Rounds are pretty pricy, but the course is usually in great shape.  The course has a good design and pretty cool views of both the ocean and the sound.  It is usually regarded as one of the premier spots to play in the OBX.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got back from our week in the OBX. Here's what we did ...

Monday 9/26, Seascape Golf Links, Kitty Hawk, NC - 96

As the name suggests, its a links-styled course running north and south, but you only get a couple of glimpses of the near-by water. Maybe it should be called Housescape. The fairways are reasonably wide, but the grass, bushes and trees that border every hole means a badly mishit shot is a goner. There were definitely a few penalty strokes in that 96 I shot. There was no warning about the greens being recently punched and it looked like a poor job at that. Putting was rather futile. None-the-less good triumphed and I had my friend by two strokes when he threw out his back on the 17th tee. Fortunately he recovered quickly enough to play our other two rounds.

Wednesday 9/28, Nagshead Golf Club, Nagshead, NC - X

Another links-type of course only a lot more narrow than Seascape was. This was probably the best-conditioned and prettiest course I've ever played. Several holes run along the sound side of the Banks. We lost a ton of balls on the front nine and mutually decided to bag the business of scoring. Lack of course knowledge took a toll as well. There were a few holes I belted a fine drive only to find that I hit it through the dogleg and into the high grass. Dispensing with the scoring helped me relax a bit and I had some really good holes on the back. The highlight was a birdie putt on No. 11 that my buddy estimated at 60-feet. A record for yours truly.

Friday 9/30, The Pointe Golf Club, Powell's Point, NC - 88

A much more hacker-frendly, parkland-type course, we took two less-frequent golfers along for this one and had fun. After playing the other two, I was much more confident off the tee. Had my putting not sucked so much, I could have really put up a result. It was cool to see my brother (who only plays a few times a year) crush a few of his drives. My buddy had just enough wayward tee shots to concede the result to me on this day.

Great week all around. My credit card bill from this is looming a bit large, but it was worth it. Playing so many rounds on the same Dayton-area courses makes seeing some different courses a real treat.

• 5 months later...
On 10/4/2016 at 7:19 AM, mcanadiens said:

Just got back from our week in the OBX. Here's what we did ...

Monday 9/26, Seascape Golf Links, Kitty Hawk, NC - 96

As the name suggests, its a links-styled course running north and south, but you only get a couple of glimpses of the near-by water. Maybe it should be called Housescape. The fairways are reasonably wide, but the grass, bushes and trees that border every hole means a badly mishit shot is a goner. There were definitely a few penalty strokes in that 96 I shot. There was no warning about the greens being recently punched and it looked like a poor job at that. Putting was rather futile. None-the-less good triumphed and I had my friend by two strokes when he threw out his back on the 17th tee. Fortunately he recovered quickly enough to play our other two rounds.

Wednesday 9/28, Nagshead Golf Club, Nagshead, NC - X

Another links-type of course only a lot more narrow than Seascape was. This was probably the best-conditioned and prettiest course I've ever played. Several holes run along the sound side of the Banks. We lost a ton of balls on the front nine and mutually decided to bag the business of scoring. Lack of course knowledge took a toll as well. There were a few holes I belted a fine drive only to find that I hit it through the dogleg and into the high grass. Dispensing with the scoring helped me relax a bit and I had some really good holes on the back. The highlight was a birdie putt on No. 11 that my buddy estimated at 60-feet. A record for yours truly.

Friday 9/30, The Pointe Golf Club, Powell's Point, NC - 88

A much more hacker-frendly, parkland-type course, we took two less-frequent golfers along for this one and had fun. After playing the other two, I was much more confident off the tee. Had my putting not sucked so much, I could have really put up a result. It was cool to see my brother (who only plays a few times a year) crush a few of his drives. My buddy had just enough wayward tee shots to concede the result to me on this day.

Great week all around. My credit card bill from this is looming a bit large, but it was worth it. Playing so many rounds on the same Dayton-area courses makes seeing some different courses a real treat.

I'm so happy I found this!

I'm about to move back up to the Duck area until July.

So far the only places I can get golf course info is from https://www.twiddy.com/outer-banks/#todo and this course http://kilmarlicgolfclub.com/.

I'm going to check out the Nags Head course and then the one in Powell's Point that you mentioned. Do you remember the cost for that one?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, TimmyR said:

I'm so happy I found this!

I'm about to move back up to the Duck area until July.

So far the only places I can get golf course info is from https://www.twiddy.com/outer-banks/#todo and this course http://kilmarlicgolfclub.com/.

I'm going to check out the Nags Head course and then the one in Powell's Point that you mentioned. Do you remember the cost for that one?

Thanks!

When our group is down there, we generally go through GolfNow. Obviously the prices can vary quite a bit depending on the season and how much time remains for a particular tee time. We were between $35 and $50 for those three rounds as I recall. The rack rate on just about any of these is going to be a lot more. In addition to the ones in my previous post, I've played Carolina Club, Currituck Club and Holly Ridge. All these courses have proper web sites.

Carolina Club - I remember this one fondly because it is where I broke 100 for the first time about four years ago or so. Owned by the same outfit as The Pointe, it's a parkland-style course in Granby. Played from one of the forward tees it was very playable for our group. The course conditions are very solid. One year we played on an aerification discount and it still putted very nicely. 

Currituck Club - We played here twice on the same week a couple of years ago and I really sucked. I probably don't remember it as well as the course deserves. On the sound side in Corolla, it seemed to have a lot of hazards for a lousy golfer to lose a ball. By the rack rate, it's probably one of the most expensive courses in the OBX. 

Holly Ridge - Back across the bridge is this short little goat track. The greens were horrible and ant hills got in the way of most of my approach shots. Low strung power lines split this course in half and my buddy's drive did hit one. It's among the worst courses I've ever played but might be worth a $10 GN Hot deal, if you have a good humor about yourself.

Note: This thread is 2591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!