IGNORED

Opinions? Should I play a round or not?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should I play a round with this fellow?

• Yes! And report back!
    • No! Don't waste your time
    • Leave him alone and stop being a d!#k...

I have this person I know that I had no idea played golf. Well he was wearing golf shoes out and about one day because they were easy to slip on. Well he said he plays infrequently (has not play much at all, not yet this year either but shoots in the 70's and some under par rounds in the recent past . He made reference to his drives were around 400 yards and that our pro had asked him to play with him at one point because he had "heard" about his game. Initially I asked him about his clubs and he couldn't remember the brand but he comes back another time and tells me the name of a obscure brand of irons.

He pretty said he has never had to work on the game much and was apparently "naturally good".

My question is, out of sheer curiosity, should I get him out on the course to see this majesty or leave well enough alone. I really would like to see a 400 yard drive in person...

I so far have not refuted anything he has said....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You have to play him, don't you? And there should money on it. If he really thinks he's as good as he has advertised that he is, he has to take the bet. And at an 11 handicap, you'll probably take him apart out there.

I have no desire to play with liars, even to watch them squirm. If he has that personality flaw there will be others. I wouldn't enjoy being with around someone like that.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

Depends on if you think you would enjoy spending more time with the guy (regardless of how good his golf may or may not be), how curious you are and what your schedule is like.

While there is a good chance he is full of BS and won't break 90, you never know.  I recently got paired up with an acquaintance who plays infrequently but has an athletic background (ski racing).  The guy absolutely ripped the ball- on 16 at Keystone River, a downhill 507 yard par 4 that was playing down wind, he put his ball about 30 yards from the front edge.  He lost a number of balls and didn't break 80, but I could see him posting some good numbers if he was on and/or played more often.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Absolutely.  Should be interesting either way.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

If he wants to play, then play.

I would go out on a limb and say you won't be seeing any 400 yard drives. Maybe he's talking about internet distances.

Absolutely! I want to know what a "400" yard drive looks like in person, too. It's just a round of golf, anyway. If you like him, then it's a good way to spend some time together. If not, well it's just one round of golf, anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

If he wants to play, then play.

I would go out on a limb and say you won't be seeing any 400 yard drives. Maybe he's talking about internet distances.

Not to big of a limb though..... :-P

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I'd make setting up a round with him an extremely high priority. Maybe it's a character flaw, but I absolutely love a put-up-or-shut-up situation.

I remember about 20 years back, a guy I worked with had a brother-in-law who'd feed you a line of BS about anything in order to make himself look better. One time he tried to tell us that this POS J.C. Higgins shotgun he had was extremely valuable and one of only like 12 in the world. He might've been right on the last claim, but only because all the others had been busted up and thrown in a Dumpster.

This guy said he shot in the 70s frequently, and when we finally played he ripped a tee shot about 250 yards dead down the middle of the first fairway. Then he proceeded to take 109 more shots before his final putt on 18 fell.

The excuses this cat came up with for his hideous play throughout the round were priceless!

John

I dunno, why are you so worked up about this guy? That he suggested he is a better golfer than you? Is your only point in playing him to humiliate him? So what if he reckons he can smash a 400 yard drive. I doubt any country is going to get invaded because of that. Mailman

Mailman

I have no desire to play with liars, even to watch them squirm. If he has that personality flaw there will be others. I wouldn't enjoy being with around someone like that.

I pretty much agree with this.  I would feel very uncomfortable watching him refute his own boasts, or even forcing him to find a way to back out of the deal.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I dunno, why are you so worked up about this guy? That he suggested he is a better golfer than you? Is your only point in playing him to humiliate him? So what if he reckons he can smash a 400 yard drive. I doubt any country is going to get invaded because of that. Mailman

I don't think he wants to humiliate him! I think it is more like curiosity getting the better of him:. When someone says thy are naturally good and they don't know what clubs they hit an can smash 400 yard drives.. Hey I want to see too.. That's all.. I'm sure no invasion will happen because of it! :)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I don't know if he is a liar or disillusioned... The outcome would clear up other issues that I was wondering about though. I think I should play a round with him probably...I mean we're talking 400 yard drives here! That really was my favorite part.

I am not trying to humiliate him. It is more curiosity than anything. @mailman I really find this had to believe and didn't argue that he couldn't do this, nor would I bring up the statements. Just observe.

It is more of a novelty rather than a anger or worked up. It is interesting.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Of course! You will either see some great golf, or ask him where his 70's and 400 yard drives went.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator

Play. And vlog it too. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!