IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

Working some more on the backswing, specifically relaxing just a bit at the top before starting the downswing. The feel is still long, slow, high backswing. I think the relax part is letting me sequence a bit better. I feel at times like I have too much tension especially when I’m anxious or irritated. I get short, flat and tense.

Below is a DTL from a session three days ago. The relax feel really can’t be seen much but there’s a bit more lag in transition. I like the A4 position here and A2 looks better.

A2

60722B79-1CB3-4916-9B5A-D3F8C034A925.jpeg

A4

FB288E86-2F86-4F91-BB21-180054C79492.jpeg
The full swing.

The next day I added a bit of palmar flexion to the feel but think I over did it. I’m a bit too flat at the top I think. Same height and depth but the shaft is less steep. I will work on the palmar feel to happen after A4

A2

9905991D-ADA2-4910-8C80-F75F83786AB8.jpeg
A4

21EE73AB-3BA2-4675-A39E-524E1DD5E297.jpeg
Full swing 

Face on looks a bit better. At A9, my hips and chest are pointing more toward the target and my eyes are following the ball better helping my shoulders continue to rotate.

33AEAAC1-0799-419B-B018-C826AF769E8E.jpeg

• Like 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

September 23

Some swings from today’s range session. The first is normal speed. I’m trying to get my backswing to be slower. It’s a bit fast here.

In slow motion, it looks pretty good but I am pulling a bit from the start line I wanted, which is the pole just in front of my head. My miss lately has been the over draw again.

The face on is from the end of the session. It was really humid, hence the gloves. This one looks off to me. Not enough secondary axis tilt, I don’t extend enough at A8 to A9 and my head doesn’t follow the ball enough.

I’m going to keep plugging away at this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks to me like you're not getting your hips nearly open enough, which requires the retraction and pulling through with you arms.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.53.38 PM.png

3 minutes ago, mdl said:

Looks to me like you're not getting your hips nearly open enough, which requires the retraction and pulling through with you arms.

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 1.53.38 PM.png

Really? ‘Not nearly enough’? Gosh I don’t see that. 

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Really? ‘Not nearly enough’? Gosh I don’t see that. 

Concentrating on hips at impact, one of these doesn't look like the others to me. Note the camera in the Rory video is lined up way right of where it should be (which makes the hips look way more closed) and his hips still look more open than @boogielicious's!

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.45.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.44.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.44.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 4.42.34 PM.png

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Well I don’t expect Scott to be able to open those hips like young whipper snappers…..

61 year old hips don’t move that well anymore!😜 But they are more open then they were in the spring. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, GolfLug said:

How's the ball flight for driver and irons? And what's the miss if you don't mind sharing.. 

Over draw is my miss with irons and woods.

September 30:

Going back a bit and working on the long arc drill below for two pieces, weight forward feel and palmar flexion through and after impact. I’m trying to keep my wrist from cupping after impact and continue my rotation for shoulders, hips and hands.

This is the drill

Below I started with 9 iron.

The SW

7 iron

And driver

The drill shows some improvement, but when I go to the full swing I seem to revert. My weight goes forward but the club head overtakes the hands. My rotation is slowing down. Need to keep working on this.

More range work today focusing on the same two pieces, weight forward and palmar flexion with continued rotation through impact. DTL looks ok, but I seem to be flattening a little early. Miss is still and overdraw. Target is second pole in.

Face on, I need to continue the weight transfer and knee going down the line more before A6. I also need to keep rotating after impact. The club head is overtaking the hands because my shoulders, chest and hips slow down.

Sand wedge is similar. Head stays down too long still and club head over takes hands. This causes a higher launch.

I will keep at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

More range work today focusing on the same two pieces, weight forward and palmar flexion with continued rotation through impact. DTL looks ok, but I seem to be flattening a little early. Miss is still and overdraw. Target is second pole in.

Face on, I need to continue the weight transfer and knee going down the line more before A6. I also need to keep rotating after impact. The club head is overtaking the hands because my shoulders, chest and hips slow down.

Sand wedge is similar. Head stays down too long still and club head over takes hands. This causes a higher launch.

I will keep at it.

Did your pro have any suggestions on more post impact rotation?

Sorry to digress. Is that an album cover shielding the iPad? Dying to know who it is if it is. 😁

50 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Did your pro have any suggestions on more post impact rotation?

Sorry to digress. Is that an album cover shielding the iPad? Dying to know who it is if it is. 😁

Yes. My Evolvr instructor added that. The palmar flexion should continue after impact for a bit. If I slow down, my left wrist cups. This one is tough for me.  I’m not as flexible on the follow through. I’m working on improving flexibility on that side.

As for the shield, I think it’s a side of a wine case that I cut up to keep the sun off the iPad. I’m still using MirrorVision. Oh, and I like wine!

• Thumbs Up 2

Driver has been very squirrelly lately. Yesterday I filmed it and saw a couple of issues. My backswing was short and fast again, weight transfer was bad and turn rate through impact was slow. Here’s the FO swing. 

Impact- My arm is bending because I’m slowing down too much.

8261E278-8B4A-40C6-AD96-FAC9DC41C99B.jpeg

A9

6136CF55-A779-4D54-8D55-7BD94639A922.jpeg

Slow turning rate and weight shift causing sketchy contact and launch. 

So today I worked on the feel my Evolvr instructor gave me of my left knee pushing forward like driving a spike and continuing the rotation with chest pointing high and left shoulder pulling back more after impact. I also tried to get more flow feel. The swing is below.

Impact

9FAF251D-7C88-43AA-8E27-CDD147A72B5A.jpeg

A9

22A516D3-8EDD-44B2-ABB4-B85DCAA4AB5B.jpeg

I see some progress. The backswing could be longer, impact and follow through look better. These feels apply to the other clubs as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I worked on just drills with 7 iron and GW. With the 7 iron, I did both long arc drill and punch drill. Both really have the same focus with weight forward at impact by having my left knee move forward to about A6, palmar flexion through impact, hips and chest open with chest towards the sky at A9. Basically, I’m trying to keep my shoulder rotation going after impact, which has been a limiter for me. I am also doing stretching and strength/speed work in this area.

With the long arc drill, I’m trying to get the left knee to move forward to around A9. Here its a little short of where I want it to be and extends too early. This will help my complete the rotation better. I need to exaggerate it more in rehearsal. I’m getting it forward, but extending early.

The punch drill helps with this. It also reinforces the long, high backswing feel. I was to land softly on the left knee as it moves forward, then pump back, relax and fire the left leg.

For the distance wedges, I’m trying to do the same thing but also reinforce the palmar flexion through impact. My left wrist cups a bit after impact which is causing higher ball flight launching at 35-40 degrees instead of around 30. Its a work in progress, but I am seeing some changes on the course. At the range, I use the MEVO and try to also visualize the launch angle. Below are a repeat chipping drill and a long arc with a gap wedge.

This swing my wrist is still cupping too much. I also am not getting forward enough and straightening my left leg too early. This allows the club head to over take the hands too soon.

These will be my primary focus drills through the off season. I need to continue to change the picture.