IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

I’ve worked the last few weeks on the same things. I’ve made some improvements in some areas but still need to keep working on others. Primary areas are:

1. A bit more bent over at setup with my arms hanging more vertical.
  2. Takeaway more inside, i.e., hands start to get deep right away not out.
  3. Deep hands at A3-4. Keep right leg facing forward and don’t roll right ankle out.
  4. left wrist cupped at A4.
  5. Palmar flexion during transition
  6. Feel like the hips are starting the downswing and the club head is falling behind me.
  7. Aggressively straightening the left leg at A6 through impact.
  8. Extending belt buckle toward target and chest to sky left of target. 

Below are two 6 Iron swings. DTL first

Setup looks pretty good here.

98785698-F58E-44C9-8C9F-F69C0D0D8065.jpeg

I am moving hands deeper at the start. Not sure why I’m out of focus though. The club head is less out too.

093B5BE2-C8B6-4244-B16A-54A6D7D6B9EA.jpeg

Deep at A3.

72F8CD25-ED5E-4D82-9C33-C27620F1B685.jpeg

Hands could be higher at A4. I work on this a lot, but my old body is resisting this. The wrist could be more cupped too.

7528046C-FEB2-4D31-BCB7-E47CE78264E2.jpeg

I’m flattening but it could be better. More flexion may help and relaxing the wrists more.

5779B225-2E52-4416-AB2C-D327ABFC5E96.jpeg

I’m slightly inside at A5.9, I couldn’t get A6 centered. My wrist should be flatter here too.

5BF95771-1BEF-48A8-9897-433AE41A279D.jpeg

Impact looks okay. I’ve extended a bit from A4 though and my left shoulder could be more rotated.

49081A5D-CB46-4851-B1A5-7A0F62B5CE47.jpeg

A8 I should be looking more towards the target and my hips should be thrusting more forward.

9FF80CA4-70D1-487E-8681-58B54CC47354.jpeg

Face on.

Face on. Setup looks okay but I could have a bit more secondary axis tilt. In other swings, it was more.

E0793F0C-4B10-4B6B-9982-BECFBC1A1A67.jpeg

I drift back a little bit to start. 
3DCD8401-D991-42B3-A7E4-931F4A042F3F.jpeg

You can’t tell from the photo below, but I start moving forward with my hips before I reach the top with my arms, meaning I’m  re-centering. My hands need to be higher here. My right legs looks better with knee and thigh staying facing forward. I setup with my weight o the inside of my right foot to keep it from rolling out.

CF2B6EEE-6A14-45F9-B5BD-6C8D1AC00797.jpeg

At A6, I’ve slid forward past setup. My hands are in my thigh, which is good. My left arm is bending, which may mean my chest rotation is slowing too fast.

7C5B3BA8-858A-4222-AB7F-B000241F2FD3.jpeg

Impact looks okay but my wrist is cupped and arm bent too much I think.

CDE2E191-FF79-4A0E-A6D6-7253C07DACFC.jpeg

I need more extension towards the target at A9.

7BA926FA-8A42-422B-A391-70501828D738.jpeg

It’s improving but I want to be more like my spirit animal Zack below.

D1105B6D-CC25-468D-938D-FE9E5A81B73B.jpeg

Lots of work to do this winter. I hope to get to Erie for my GEARS lessons.

C1261A24-D529-4AC6-8C01-998E2294043E.jpeg

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Scott, really liking the work and analysis you are doing. Reducing EE significantly alone is huge. 

I’ve learned a lot from @iacas in terms of what to look at in my swing. Getting my body to do it is the real challenge.

Scott

My Swing Thread

46 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I’ve learned a lot from @iacas in terms of what to look at in my swing. Getting my body to do it is the real challenge.

Seems like you are getting your body to morph to your brain signals. You have the patience of a saint. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...

Last practice session of 2021. Still working on the same pieces for irons and driver. Today I worked on reinforcing the feels and tying things together. I filmed a bunch of swings with rehearsals. This one is feeling the long, high backswing.

Driver was similar with the added let the club head fall behind feel.

In this drill with a PW, I’m trying to reinforce palmar flexion through impact.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

@boogieliciousit seems like adding a tiny bit of lead knee and ankle roll back and forth to your PP should help free up your lower body a bit more. In fact a small trail knee/ankle roll in unison can't be a bad thing either.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

55 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@boogieliciousit seems like adding a tiny bit of lead knee and ankle roll back and forth to your PP should help free up your lower body a bit more. In fact a small trail knee/ankle roll in unison can't be a bad thing either.

That’s one of my side pieces. My right ankle was rolling out. I’m trying to curb that by rolling it in a bit at setup and unweighting on the downswing.

Scott

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

My right ankle was rolling out. I’m trying to curb that by rolling it in a bit at setup and unweighting on the downswing.

Ok sorry, you seemed to be crunching down on the left foot instead off rolling to the inside edge in the back swing. I think ankle roll is a great way to keep lower body free and also weight and unweight both sides IMHO. I think the hip slide thread is a good read. 

Vishal S.

It’s been almost a month since I posted here. Between house renovations and freezing weather, I’ve been doing more indoor work. This session felt terrible as it was 28F out, but the video looks surprisingly okay. I haven’t really done full swings for a couple of weeks.

I did mostly mapping feels with 70% swings and only a full swing at the end. Did this with 6 iron and driver.

Here’s the 6 iron mapping video. I think I’m doing it a bit too fast, but it was cold. The feels I’m working on here are:

1. head not too out at A3
  2. re-centering as I reach A4
  3. landing on my left foot as I let the club drop behind me with the feel that my hands drop straight down.
  4. A6 left legs extends fast pushing my left hip back.

Full 6 Iron. What I do like here is I am re-centering by moving my hips forward before my arms get to the top. I didn’t do face on because it was cold. But I have seen that in my FO video. You can see my hips start to open before my hands get to the top.

The backswing positions look pretty good. A2 has the head less out.

0856EFAA-9608-4657-84D2-DF8E8054D828.jpeg

A3 is not as steep as I was before. Not sure if that’s good or not.

C541D32A-16C0-470D-BCE4-20C3934A208F.jpeg

Downswing A5 is less steep too and A6 shows an in to out position.

CD3886F9-4F36-4F25-9FD9-DF34179CC4D6.jpeg39CC3C1D-D558-487B-B605-282831EE5C03.jpeg

I’ve extended a bit early, but my hips are open at impact.

8774CFDF-5F6A-4B4C-AF31-CBBECD6A70EE.jpeg

Driver. I did the same work with the driver, but I was getting cold. Impact felt harsh because my hands were getting numb.

Mapping video with same feels.

Full Swing.

A2 the heads a bit more out than the 6 iron was.

997CC6D0-1176-4B96-B2BE-5CBC7B335801.jpeg

A3 is more steep than the 6 iron

1157AA51-C5A7-4841-AE7A-813DF17F65F1.jpeg

A5 is flatter than A3 and A6 is in to out again, which is an improvement.

16657F57-A3B3-4ED6-9311-B47D5837DBBB.jpeg0DF4C53D-2D67-4A80-8A74-27DDA3EE0671.jpeg

Impact I’m open but have extended a touch.

E779207C-F651-4519-8F58-BD4F169A0507.jpeg

Considering how cold it was, I had a decent practice. Other than swings to warm up, I really only took two full swings each with 6 iron and driver. Everything else was mapping. I guess the indoor setup and pump drills are helping.

We’re getting a lot of snow tomorrow. Not sure when I will get to film again.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

We’re getting a lot of snow tomorrow. 

Welp, we will be sharing the love with y'all a bit (6"-12"). And we are still recovering from the 5" last weekend. Uncanny how this is happening two weekends in a row with snow starting almost the same time (last Friday/tonight). 

Vishal S.

24 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Welp, we will be sharing the love with y'all a bit (6"-12"). And we are still recovering from the 5" last weekend. Uncanny how this is happening two weekends in a row with snow starting almost the same time (last Friday/tonight). 

We have bare ground, so there’s a place to put it when it’s done.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

You should be pleased, Scott.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

You should be pleased, Scott.

Thanks.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Below are some of my indoor drills. I can’t do full swings, but I can do mapping and punch drills along with chipping. I also don’t have room to do a face on because of the furnace.

In the map map drill, I work through the positions. I’m trying to be:

1. less out at A2
  2. deeper at A3 with the shaft generally pointed at the line the ball is on
  3. wrist slightly cupped at A4
  4. have the hands drop straight down from transition
  5. do a punch from A5-6 with the feel that my left foot pushes my left hip back and up lengthening my left side.

After I work through that, I move on to the transition feel. It ‘feels’ like my hips start the downswing when I start to land on my left foot as my left knee moves toward target and hips open. I am re-centering here as my hands finish going to the top. My weight is shifting toward the target here. The I go down and do the punch part.

Lastly, just the punch drill where I try not to hit the bikes.

This seems to be helping me when I can’t practice outside.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve made a couple of tweaks in the driver swing to tighten up the path in my last Evolvr lesson. My objective is to get a consistent flight. If it’s a push draw or slight cut fade, that’s fine. I just want it to be one way.

1. Setup with weight more toward toes to get the hip over the ankle more.
  2. A2 and A3 are looking pretty good.
  3. At transition, try a little palmar flexion along with rolling the left arm clockwise to flatten the shaft. I rehearse this with the practice swings. It feels like my left index finger is pressing down, which is flex and rotation.
  4. Feel like I am swinging down from the top as I extend my right arm.
  5. If 3 above doesn’t help, try getting knuckles down more from A6 to impact and maybe roll the left arm clockwise through impact.

In these swings below, I am just trying 1-4. My setup is better and I feel like my weight is on the balls of my feet. I think I was on my heels too much before. I see a slight improvement at A6, which is fine as I didn’t need a whole lot. Path is better and the feel is pretty simple. I don’t see a lot of flattening in transition though.

Face on, I’m swaying a bit more than I like but we’ll address that later. I’m staying with the feel of hips starting the downswing, which is really seen here as re-centering.

I applied these same feels to the irons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I don’t see a lot of flattening in transition though.

No, but it didn't steepen and the ball started a bit left.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, but it didn't steepen and the ball started a bit left.

I set up on that one with the face just slightly open. When I get to a range, I’ll play around the the setup face angle and see what flight looks like. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I set up on that one with the face just slightly open. When I get to a range, I’ll play around the the setup face angle and see what flight looks like. 

I'm saying the ball starting a bit left can be a good thing, especially if it's not because the head tips out.