IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

That looks better. What's the start line like with the driver?

It’s still right, but not as much. Last round I had a few push draws. Later in the round some pulls. I hooked it a couple times too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted these two videos to Evolvr. I feel I’m making progress on my primary piece, my hip turn. My second piece, upper center moving toward target, is also better. But there are some things that need more work. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve started working on another issue, especially with the driver, squaring the face for impact. I’ve struggled with this for a long time. Below, I’m working on the knuckles down feel. These are slow swings, maybe 50%. I started doing this drill yesterday after uploading my driver swing to Evolvr. Yesterday’s drill didn’t look very good. These look a bit better although I kept hitting the irons fat. Impact looks better for both, but I have a ways to go to do these at full speed.

I’m a bit OTT with the driver here. I’m more focused on the flat left wrist though and the knuckles down feel at A6. The face angle is better at A6 too with both. Not sure why the swings below didn’t keep the slow motion.  I was too lazy to move my wife’s car to do landscape.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

You can be a little OTT with the driver. Just play a little pull or a little pull-fade.

It's not something you necessarily need to do much with the irons. You mostly seem to need to do it with the driver, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You can be a little OTT with the driver. Just play a little pull or a little pull-fade.

It's not something you necessarily need to do much with the irons. You mostly seem to need to do it with the driver, no?

We talked in the past about this feel with wedges and irons. It’s definitely harder to do with the driver. But I’ll just keep at it along with my other pieces.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Your irons weren't 10° open to the path.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your irons weren't 10° open to the path.

True. But in a earlier Evolvr lessons, you wanted less cupping at impact which was similar to what you showed me in this latest lesson with the driver. I just thought I could work on this with both.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Yesterday I worked for about 30 minutes with driver and 7 iron. I’ve changed my rehearsal feels because what I was doing was causing problems instead of helping.

With driver, the main focus is squaring the face at impact. Below, I’m working with two feels, swings wide from the top and then getting into impact position and squaring the face. I do a little forearm rotation in one rehearsal to show myself that I can square the face with that too.

On the course last Wednesday, I went with this feel and got driver to launch slight right with a tiny draw or a little pull draw. First couple were low launch, so I moved the ball forward on the rest. My DTL views are showing me to be a little OTT if I don’t get my weight forward enough. I didn’t get any DTL in this session.

With irons, the main priority is not thrusting toward the ball with my hip center. I also want my upper center to move forward in transition. That is working pretty well although my upper center should move a bit more forward in this swing. Here I’m doing a similar feel and rehearsal as with the driver. On the course, I’ve just used the feel of Leaning Tower with some success.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

my upper center should move a bit more forward in this swing

Not much. Two inches is a good bit, and it depends on when you measure. From setup? From max "back" position?

Be careful with your "lay the club down" move - it gets the hands moving in a direction that opens the face.

• Informative 1

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not much. Two inches is a good bit, and it depends on when you measure. From setup? From max "back" position?

Be careful with your "lay the club down" move - it gets the hands moving in a direction that opens the face.

Ok, thanks. I just look at my back just before transition. It should move slightly toward target.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Today I worked on a new feel that @iacas sent me. I’m trying to break an old habit of how I close the face. The feel is different than I’ve tried before. Swinging down from the top and getting the right hand on top to close the face instead of laying off and trying to close the face with palmar flexion. The later was causing me to open the face and then have to flip or swing in to align the face. That led to inconsistencies with the face angle.

Here I’m trying to replicate the drill Erik sent with a punch and 6 iron. It seems to work better if I feel I’m swinging down from the top. I’m letting the right hand control the closing.

Here is a 50% swing.

Same deal with the driver. Swing down and let the right hand get on top. 

Driver 50%. I’m a little more OTT with the driver. The first rehearsal was too laid off, old habit creeping in. The face is not quite as closed as in the punch drill, but better.

I feel some progress here and think I can keep working on it so it sticks.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

You can be a little OTT and just hit a fade, too. 🙂 Those look better.

Be careful about shoving the handle forward. You want it to line up just after or at impact.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Drills today at the range. The feel is closing the face early in the downswing. I did mostly punch shots or shots with pauses at the top. I think I am still laying off the club too much at the start though but it does ‘feel’ like I’m doing that.

Here is a 6 iron DTL with a punch and 50% swing. there is a pause at the top here.

Here is the same drill face on. The camera is not quite vertical as I had no reference to level it. I thought I had it set up right.

Same drill with the driver. I am still not replicating the rehearsal and I do the close too early and palmar flex before transition.

Here is the face on. Again a 50% feel swing. The rehearsal looks better but the swing still is not closing early.

Much more work to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

You can't keep shoving the hands forward.

handsforward.jpg

You did it a ton with the driver, which is why the face could never shut. How can you when you're bending the right wrist back and keeping the right palm facing out?

14 hours ago, iacas said:

You can't keep shoving the hands forward.

handsforward.jpg

You did it a ton with the driver, which is why the face could never shut. How can you when you're bending the right wrist back and keeping the right palm facing out?

Agree.

Scott

My Swing Thread

In yesterday’s work, I’m trying to get this right by eliminating bad rehearsal habits. I went back to basics with slow rehearsals while checking myself on my iPad with MirrorVision. I had to put the iPad in the shade. You can see me glancing at it occasionally. I was pushing the grip too far forward in my rehearsals.

I started with slow rehearsals to impact and short punches or chips. Here’s a 7 iron.

Here’s a driver chip.

I moved on to pauses at the top. Here is driver. The swing feels like 50%.

Here’s a 7 iron 50%. I moved the grip too far forward in one rehearsal but caught it. I’m looking down and checking the position.

On my driver 50%, I see my rehearsals are good, but in the swing, the face doesn’t stay closed. It starts to close at transition, but doesn’t continue from A5 to A6. My wrist is more cupped at impact. I’m not sure why it stops closing. It feels the same, but feel ain’t real. I wonder if I should force it more as the swing speed increases.

Scott

My Swing Thread

@boogielicious, right hand crashing into left hand it seems. Club shaft/grip too inline with arms. I would suggest a lower hand path (closer to knee level) in the impact area. Also the club shaft should travel more parallel to the ground. Split hands grip drill helpful to feel angle between shaft and arms and how right hand works through impact freely without crashing into left. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

@boogielicious, right hand crashing into left hand it seems. Club shaft/grip too inline with arms. I would suggest a lower hand path (closer to knee level) in the impact area. Also the club shaft should travel more parallel to the ground. Split hands grip drill helpful to feel angle between shaft and arms and how right hand works through impact freely without crashing into left. 

Vishal,

I’m a little fuzzy on what you are saying here. This change is certainly perplexing me.

Scott

My Swing Thread