IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

Why do you guys want the club head not to pass hands? I usually practice letting the club head pass hands with my pitch shots..

I was making a joke, maybe @GolfLug didn't catch it. Although, there is such a thing as exposing too much bounce in the pitch swing. Ask me how I know ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Thanks.  I needed a little more "dealing cards" in the backswing.  I kept going after filming this and tried different clubs.  It goes really far with little effort.

Greenish grass in Boston already!!! Good for y'all..

BTW firmer wrist to hold off club head from passing your hands BUT softer arm elbow and above especially. I get into pinching my arms against the upper rib cage too much sometime to stay firm. Great hinge and rotation through impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GolfLug

Greenish grass in Boston already!!! Good for y'all..

BTW firmer wrist to hold off club head from passing your hands BUT softer arm elbow and above especially. I get into pinching my arms against the upper rib cage too much sometime to stay firm. Great hinge and rotation through impact.

Why do you guys want the club head not to pass hands? I usually practice letting the club head pass hands with my pitch shots..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

I was making a joke, maybe @GolfLug didn't catch it.

Although, there is such a thing as exposing too much bounce in the pitch swing. Ask me how I know

Thanks for the comments @GolfLug .  This is the technique from the book I cited.  It is similar to Stan Utley with a little change in the setup. Flare the front foot and emphasize having the chest pointing in front of the ball.  If anything, I should have the right hand facing more skyward at the finish.  I'll keep working on it.

I do recommend the book and will post a review.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Below are four videos of drill that I am doing.  I have been working on stopping at A6 then going to A8 hitting balls.  This drill does that but then smooths the whole sequence out (thanks @JetFan1983 ).  The drill focuses on rotating my hips more through the impact zone and up to A8.  I am making progress on that one.  I should have my hips facing target at A8 and I am getting closer.  I also have been working on flattening the shaft from A4 to 5, but that one is still illusive.

I hit balls at increasing speed 50, 60, 80%.  Below are driver and 7 iron DTL and FO.  I did shank one with the 7 iron that almost hit that red house! :doh: The stick in the net is set at dead center and I am trying to always go to the right of it.  This session, I only did this drill and noting else.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Looking good!  The weather looks nice as well!

Seems like it will be nice when I get there the last week of May (lets hope things don't change)

Back on topic:  That is some great looking practice, the shallow A4 - A5 is just a pain, but I think you will see it sooner than later...

Hey, if @JetFan1983 can do it, what's stopping us right? :-P

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Seems like it will be nice when I get there the last week of May (lets hope things don't change)

Back on topic:  That is some great looking practice, the shallow A4 - A5 is just a pain, but I think you will see it sooner than later...

Hey, if @JetFan1983 can do it, what's stopping us right?

Thanks!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Keep at it, Scott. One day at a time. Keep on keepin' on. :-D

Hey, if @JetFan1983 can do it, what's stopping us right?

Haha, perhaps it's a bit too strong to say that I can "do it," but thanks. It's a game for a lifetime! Let's keep working hard, guys!

• Upvote 1

Constantine

Very simply not break wrists and flip/scoop. Nothing more. But way @boogielicious is doing it (he mentions Stan Utley's method) is not flipping and is VERY proper. I think best to read about his technique from more credible sources but it is more of a sliding club underneath and through the ball. Club head rotates naturally with torso rotation.

Vishal S.

Thanks for the comments @GolfLug.  This is the technique from the book I cited.  It is similar to Stan Utley with a little change in the setup. Flare the front foot and emphasize having the chest pointing in front of the ball.  If anything, I should have the right hand facing more skyward at the finish.  I'll keep working on it.

I do recommend the book and will post a review.

+1. I have ready his chipping and putting chapters.

Vishal S.

Below are four videos of drill that I am doing.  I have been working on stopping at A6 then going to A8 hitting balls.  This drill does that but then smooths the whole sequence out (thanks @JetFan1983).  The drill focuses on rotating my hips more through the impact zone and up to A8.  I am making progress on that one.  I should have my hips facing target at A8 and I am getting closer.  I also have been working on flattening the shaft from A4 to 5, but that one is still illusive.

I hit balls at increasing speed 50, 60, 80%.  Below are driver and 7 iron DTL and FO.  I did shank one with the 7 iron that almost hit that red house!    The stick in the net is set at dead center and I am trying to always go to the right of it.  This session, I only did this drill and noting else.

Very nice!! This is a great drill. Not sure if you have played any rounds yet but are you getting a push draw ball flight on the course?

Vishal S.

Quote:

Below are four videos of drill that I am doing.  I have been working on stopping at A6 then going to A8 hitting balls.  This drill does that but then smooths the whole sequence out (thanks @JetFan1983).  The drill focuses on rotating my hips more through the impact zone and up to A8.  I am making progress on that one.  I should have my hips facing target at A8 and I am getting closer.  I also have been working on flattening the shaft from A4 to 5, but that one is still illusive.

I hit balls at increasing speed 50, 60, 80%.  Below are driver and 7 iron DTL and FO.  I did shank one with the 7 iron that almost hit that red house!    The stick in the net is set at dead center and I am trying to always go to the right of it.  This session, I only did this drill and noting else.

Very nice!! This is a great drill. Not sure if you have played any rounds yet but are you getting a push draw ball flight on the course?

Push fade right now, which is playable.  It is better than the hook I was fighting last year.  I am still working with my instructor to determine what is my best pattern.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I went to the range last night and worked on this drill with a few different clubs.  It was so windy, I couldn't film.  My tripod was shaking in the wind.

I got good feedback from my Evolvr instructor on the latest upload (the videos above) and will keep working on the drill.  Stephan, @sk golf , added for me to straighten my left arm up a bit more at address and tilt my head a bit so my chin is more forward.  I worked on these changes with the drill above for most of the session.

Ball flight was predominantly push fade with a square or slightly open stance.  I made some adjustments to my stance, closing it slightly by moving my right foot back a couple of inches at most, and the ball flight straightened out.  It was really windy, so I'm not sure how much change the flight had.

I hope to take it to the course today and see what happens.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Played 9 today. Shot a 43 with two pars and the rest bogeys.  It was cold, 48F and really windy.  Had some good swings and shots and a few bad ones including two tee shot hooks, which I thought I was over.  I then went back to basics and did a few warm up swings doing the drill, which helped. I short game was average with some good pitches, but my 'chipping with a putting method' needs some practice!

I also need to practice severe up and down hill lies for full and short game shots.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Shot a 42 in the league tonight.  For the most part, I am seeing improvement.  I had 3 GIR and 3 nGIR with 2/5 up and downs and 3/7 fairways.  My driving was better with my fairway misses being just off with no unplayable hooks.  My short game pitch shots need more work. It is tough to practice those in the winter.

On one driveable par 4 I was 30 yards out on the fairway and short pitched my approach and did not make the green.  I was trying to pitch over a ridge to a tough pin location with my lob wedge.  Brain fart.  The smarter play would have been to pitch to the center of the green.

I also am still struggling to get down hill lie shots up in the air.  I think I will set up my net at home with a downhill lie and post here.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Shot a 42 in the league tonight.  For the most part, I am seeing improvement.  I had 3 GIR and 3 nGIR with 2/5 up and downs and 3/7 fairways.  My driving was better with my fairway misses being just off with no unplayable hooks.  My short game pitch shots need more work. It is tough to practice those in the winter.

Glad to see improvements are having an effect on your scoring. I'm sure once you find your groove with the short game, the scores will be even better. [quote name="boogielicious" url="/t/75473/my-swing-boogielicious/60#post_1136133"]I also am still struggling to get down hill lie shots up in the air.  I think I will set up my net at home with a downhill lie and post here. [/quote] @iacas once told me to put the ball farther forward on downhill lies. Helps to counter the loft issue some, but you're not going to get full height from it, really.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Glad to see improvements are having an effect on your scoring. I'm sure once you find your groove with the short game, the scores will be even better.

Quote:

I also am still struggling to get down hill lie shots up in the air.  I think I will set up my net at home with a downhill lie and post here.

@iacas once told me to put the ball farther forward on downhill lies. Helps to counter the loft issue some, but you're not going to get full height from it, really.

I got that same piece of advice from Erik.  It is just not some you get to practice a lot.  I will need to set something up to do it.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

More drill work.  The only change was my head tilt at set up.  Stephan wanted me to tilt it forward a bit.

This is still not fully transferring to the course.  I still revert at times then get flustered and have trouble getting back to basics.  Friday, I lost my swing for about 4 to 5 holes and was topping shots, even with the driver.  I worked my way out of it, but confidence was definitely lost.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Latest work.  I have been having the hooks the last few rounds and I think I have been over doing the motorcycling from A4 to 5.  Motorcycling was supposed to help me flatten the shaft at A5.  But I notices in practice videos that I was not getting my right elbow down and coming over the top.  In the videos below, I am instead flattening my wrist at A4 and focusing on the right elbow getting in front. I am still steep at A5 which is frustrating to say the least but A6 looks better.

I am also working on finishing my shoulder turn to get in better position at A7 - 9.  That is a limiter for me as my flexibility is not great.  I work on it all the time though.  It is tough getting old. :-(

Scott

My Swing Thread