boogielicious

My Swing (boogielicious)

171 posts in this topic Last Reply

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

August 25

Working on keeping arms straighter after impact from my latest lesson. It is really the right arm that does the work on this. I changed my mat down here to a Real Feel one so I would be less harsh. I think I was getting a little timid about impact on the harder mat.

I’m holding the finish a bit short to keep the right arm straight feel.

I also needed a thicker mat to stand on, so I improvised with a boogie board.😜

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I also needed a thicker mat to stand on, so I improvised with a boogie board.😜

Now you are definitely boogielicious 🤣

Latest work. Focusing on keeping arms straighter through impact per my Evolvr lesson. Clubface is open and stance is open. Worked pretty well my last round where I shot an 81.

I also worked on pitching. Here is am focusing on the pivot driving the pitch. I’m using my 58 degree lob wedge.

Working on lower hands at A6, which is also more lag. I re-watched How to Effectively Create Lag by Mike as a refresher as it was very similar to Stephan's lesson. Below, I am swinging about 75% and thinking about keeping my right elbow from straightening.

It was a frustrating session. I worked on slow swings for a while to get to this point. I've been having a lot of fat shots on partial wedges and short irons, so there is more work to do.

Then, I worked on a trouble shot. Fortunately, my driveway is not level, so I can set up a downhill lie. This one is above my feet too. I have trouble with these. Here I am doing what feels like a 3/4 swing. I have the ball forward and I am setting up on the hill slope. The ball comes out lower of course, but I made good contact.

Lastly, pitching in rough.

Pitching has been pretty good. Sand has been pretty bad. I took sand video, but the angle was way off. I will have to take more. I do practice a sand type shot in rough to get the feel, but it is not the same.

Working on lower hands at A6. Making some progress but still have a bit of casting at times.  I feel like my right hand pushes a bit from A4 and I’m trying to eliminate that.

Below is a drill followed by two swings. The drill swing feels like 60%.

@boogielicious, when you're working every day on a specific area like this, can you describe how easy or difficult it becomes to work it in to your swing on the course? Do you have to think about it for the first few rounds or does practicing it on a regular basis allow it to become somewhat "natural" (for lack of a better term)?

10 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

@boogielicious, when you're working every day on a specific area like this, can you describe how easy or difficult it becomes to work it in to your swing on the course? Do you have to think about it for the first few rounds or does practicing it on a regular basis allow it to become somewhat "natural" (for lack of a better term)?

I definitely use it as a swing thought on the course. Lately, it has been 'low hands' and my practice swing is a slow emphasis on the A6 position.

Some changes are quick, but others take a longer time. For 'weight forward, it took my 6 months to get it where I didn't think about it. After a while, my Evolvr instructor asked me not to emphasize it in my practice swing because it was too much and I didn't need it. But when I warm up, I still go through the feeling. 

This change is tougher because I developed some casting last year when my left knee was a mess. I have to unlearn a bad habit. In my videos above, it is good, but sometimes on the course I have real fat shots and I know what caused them.

The other hard thing is to really learn to practice SLOW! Learning how to practice can take longer than the swing changes it seems. But have faith in it. Some practices, I don't even do a full speed swing at all.

Regarding the slow practice, there is often immediate success when I’m applying a change at 30 to 75% effort. The difficulty lies in speeding it up. While that’s not as much of an issue when practicing, trying to apply the change to even a practice round on the course becomes nearly impossible. 

I can’t help but think I need to play a bunch of rounds at 50% (or whatever) so that the change I’m trying to make becomes the only thing I know.

Thanks for the explanation, @boogielicious.