IGNORED

My Swing (boogielicious)

boogielicious

Practice notes:

After two range session with one net session in between, which I filmed, things are looking pretty good.

Range work focusedΒ on set up and aim. For my wedges and short irons I can set up square to target and get little push draws back to my toe line.Β Β For longer irons, a little open stance gets a slight push draw. With woods, I seem to do better with a bigger push, so I open the face for a 20Β yard push with a slight draw for driver. If I close it down, then the hooks happen. Launch is nice a high this way.

So my set up is as follows:

1. Take the grip with the left hand.
  2. Address ball aiming the face to the start line.
  3. Take stance with weight evenly distributed but weight more toward heels while gripping with right hand.
  4. Do secondary axis tilt for all full swings, but more upright for partial wedges and partial iron swings.
  5. For woods and driver set up with face open to toe lineΒ by a few degrees and aim face at target.
  6. For long irons, similar but slightly less open.
  7. For short irons and wedges, square to target.
  8. focus on the ball.

Swing thoughts/feels are basic. Feel the head drop behind me with a little palmar flexion. Keep my axis tilt through impact. Sometimes the thought is to keep the belly button pointing down. Other times its just the thought, stay down through impact you dummy.Β This helps my rotate more and has less EE. Also, swing out a bit from A4 to A6.

Lastly, don’t let the club head turn over after impact. It will eventually, but the feel keeps it square to my start line longer. I do a drill with a strong grip and closed face and then try to fade it. It works pretty well. I can then use that feel to intentionally fade it, which I’ve struggled with in the past.

I should get to play next week as course are open in RI, so I’m heading to my cottage this weekend.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Today’s work. BB2000 drills to reduce EE. Β TheΒ feel at the top in transition is my left hand flattening with my right elbow starting out and around, kind of leading. Then I try to stay down and rotate.

I feel that my right hand fights this move and pushes back against my left hand at the base of the right index finger. I am working on having my right hand relax more in transition.

BelowΒ is the full 7 iron swing DTL and FO. I use the alignment sticks to set my face angle (red)Β versus my toe line (green). The face is aimed at the target so I’m playing for aΒ significant push draw or even fade. At the range, this seems to reduceΒ the hooks and pulls. The ball appearsΒ to draw slightly or fade slightly.Β I have to work at alignmentΒ because I struggle at times with alignment at theΒ course.

I also have been working on center face contact drills with a dry erase marker. This is a 7 iron from yesterday. I’m missing towards to toe a bit.

EC73A672-410B-4772-A1E1-3B687E4B0AF2.jpeg

Β 

• Like 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

Working on an added piece, having my right knee/leg move toward the target more instead of toward the ball. Below is a drill with this feel with a 7 iron. I want the butt of the club at my shoulder as well and I swing out after transition.

And one with driver. Rotation is still good but I’m just a tad steep at A5.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Working on ball position in addition to my priority piece. More knee bend at set up. Playing the ball closer to my left heel.

D33F06BC-29A1-41A9-8C22-75BCF6059EE9.jpeg
Β 

With driver, I’m having the most success with the ball at my big toe for good launch.

50861969-475E-404A-9846-B334843DF709.jpeg

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

More center-face contact work. Now I’m toward the heel a bit. It’s a little frustrating because the hits are grouped together.Β 
E793FACB-1C2F-45A5-877E-A7A29A2C744B.jpeg0DD06C5B-054A-4B3A-A6FE-4FC006F1C06B.jpegΒ 

Scott

My Swing Thread

I don't want to complicate your process, but I have one question. Everything looks good overall, but your lead wrist's flexion thru the strike stands out to me. Thoughts on that? Seems simple to feel more motorcycle revving (palmar flexion), no? Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Again, I don't want to step on your toes here, but did want to ask you about that.

boog1.PNGboog2.PNG

Constantine

22 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

I don't want to complicate your process, but I have one question. Everything looks good overall, but your lead wrist's flexion thru the strike stands out to me. Thoughts on that? Seems simple to feel more motorcycle revving (palmar flexion), no? Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Again, I don't want to step on your toes here, but did want to ask you about that.

boog1.PNGboog2.PNG

I do palmar flexion at the top, butΒ it is worth a look, thanks. I’ll ask my instructor.

Scott

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I do palmar flexion at the top, butΒ it is worth a look, thanks. I’ll ask my instructor.

Ahh okay. Interesting you're feeling that already. I definitely don't want to cause a wrist injury here by suggesting you feel it more lol. It's not like egregiously bad at all obviously. It's not quite Lee Westwood, but you're not like super super far off from that.Β 

Anyway, obviously disregard whatever I say if the instructor disagrees.Β 

Edited by JetFan1983

Constantine

29 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Ahh okay. Interesting you're feeling that already. I definitely don't want to cause a wrist injury here by suggesting you feel it more lol. It's not like egregiously bad at all obviously. It's not quite Lee Westwood, but you're not like super super far off from that.Β 

Anyway, obviously disregard whatever I say if the instructor disagrees.Β 

I know my left arm bends at impact, but I’ve asked and my instructor said not to worry about it.

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I know my left arm bends at impact, but I’ve asked and my instructor said not to worry about it.

Yea that makes sense.

Constantine

Worked a lot on setup again today in addition to my priority piece feels. Below are a 6 iron and driver set of swings. Also did center-face contact work. Hitting a bit toward the heel now.

Β 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Today’s swings. Focused on set up again. The backswing looks a bit flat to me, but it may just be shorter. I strengthened my grip a bit too, which seems to have helped Key 3 a bit.

Yesterday’s weather and this swing below areΒ a direct result of what happens when a certain Doctor from the Orlando area ventures out off his state and goes to the northern part of our country. I thinks we need to keep tabs on @VinskΒ to keep this from happening again.

Β 

• Funny 4

Scott

My Swing Thread

30 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Today’s swings. Focused on set up again. The backswing looks a bit flat to me, but it may just be shorter. I strengthened my grip a bit too, which seems to have helped Key 3 a bit.

Yesterday’s weather and this swing below areΒ a direct result of what happens when a certain Doctor from the Orlando area ventures out off his state and goes to the northern part of our country. I thinks we need to keep tabs on @VinskΒ to keep this from happening again.

Β 

Ahhhhh. Isn’t it just such a beautifully startling strike?!Β Why? Oh why? And I even wore a mask when I was up there...

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

You did appear to take that one away when the ball was near the hosel.

πŸ˜„

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Some swings from today below. I warmed up with short swings working on transition with each club, PW, 6 iron, 3W and driver.Β The feel isΒ like a little pause allowing the head to keep moving back as I turn (a littleΒ float loading feel). Clouds came in for the face on so they’re a bit less resolution. I sent the driver video into Evolvr.

Β 

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at my last few rounds, I’ve had issues with the driver and alignment on the tee (again). My misses and even fairways were right, apart from a hook. The flight was pretty straight or even a slight draw, but a push. I need to work on setting up left and allow the push draw to happen. Even the approach shots worked best as a slight push.

Below is the last round.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ScottCurry/round/3053447

Β 

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Been a couple of weeks since I filmed my swing, so today I did a bit of a check up. I worked on high hands at A4 and transition feel. Swing seems to be about the same. Flight has been pretty good, but I still need to work alignment and play a push.

Β 

Β 

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Had a few sessions at Golf Evolution and came away with a couple of full swing pieces and short game work. For full swing, I need to slow down my backswing to help make it longer and higher. I rush my backswing and it becomes flat and short. So we made some changes.

First, a bit stronger grip at setup. This helps me have less hand action through impact. That was easy to change. Second, I need to slow down my backswing and get my hands higher and the backswing longer. Below is a drill I am doing for this withΒ 6 iron. I addΒ a little punch at the end, which is part of the second piece.

For the second piece, from A6 on, I need to snap the left knee straight to get the hips and shoulders to rotate through impact. The screen shot below shows before and after. The left knee in the left photo has not fully extended soΒ rotation is stalled and the club head overtakes the hands. My wrists also roll over, which causes hooks. On the right, I’m extending the left knee to snap straight and rotate my hips and shoulders faster. This can add power too.

89B6FDA7-2B77-452B-B4B8-72B96EC7BD9F.jpeg
The drill below works on this. I land on the soft left knee as it moves toward the target. Then I snap it straight and push my left hip back.Β I combine the long, high backswing with the punch drill. My chest and shoulders also continue to rotate.Β It looks better in this drill video. I want my arms extended and chest and hips pointing toward the target at A9. My hips should be more forward than they are below at A9 below.

Zack Johnson is showing where I want to be on the right.

58B81054-B5B1-4F20-BCA5-6403F800928E.jpeg

Below is the same drill with the driver. At the end I’m trying to reinforce the feel of the left knee straitening.Β 

I will continue with these drills for a while. I think itΒ will take a while to change the picture here.

• Like 1

Scott

My Swing Thread