IGNORED

Had a big WTF moment on the course today

whatwoodtigerdo
Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Couple hours later and I am still thinking about this and just dumbfounded about it. Today I am 3 over going into 16. 4 hole carry over on skins game. Have a 2 stroke lead on the back. Just a big hole. Par 5 straight right dogleg with water in front of the green. We tee off. My whole group hit well but I slammed it and got it to roll around the cut off and 181 to the flag. Couldn't have placed it better. Anyway the group in front of us are up by the green and just stop, turn around and watch. They were a little slow but decent golfers and I thought they wanted us to play through. I waved at them and yelled no thanks go ahead. They just stood there. The other 3 in my group laid up. The guys walk onto the green so I am like ok a little weird but maybe the lay ups made them change their mind on letting us through. So I have my club and just taking practice swings waiting. The guys then stop again and wave to me to go. Now there is 1 guy on the left side of green, 1 guy on the front left of it, 1 guy behind the flag and 1 guy on the right. I am confused but I am like I can't believe they are letting us play through but whatever. I then blade my hybrid and hit a line drive into the hazard. As we drive up they start playing the hole out. We get close at the hazard and they look back and say "we thought we had ringers behind us and just wanted to see what you did with that shot". Seriously that is what they said. Can anybody explain to me why someone would think this is appropriate. I still can't shake it off lol.

James

• Administrator
They wanted to let you play to the green. In some clubs that's standard practice on par threes. I don't know what the big deal is. Just hit your shot next time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They wanted to let you play to the green. In some clubs that's standard practice on par threes. I don't know what the big deal is. Just hit your shot next time.

What do you mean by "letting me play to the green"? I've never seen that unless letting someone play through. I only partially blame them for the shot. I should hit the shot. 9 out of 10 times, probably more, I am hitting it well enough to play. It is a little nerve-racking having people on the green surrounding a flag you are trying to hit into though.

James

What "partial blame"? They offered to let you play up and you chose to. You blew the shot. It happens, but it isn't anyone's fault but the guy swinging the club. So you make what, 6 there? Unless you blew the last 2 holes too, it still had to be a great round for you! That's your takeaway.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've never seen that but I'm thinking it's a good idea and would help keep everybody moving along. I never did like having a group on the green, all of my playing partners laid up, and everybody (including the group behind) waiting for me to hit a long shot that I may or may not be able to pull off. If I could hit the shot then we could all move on up, the people behind could hit thier tee shots, the rest of my group get to their layups, and I'm on or somewhere around the green. I like it. ;-)

What "partial blame"? They offered to let you play up and you chose to. You blew the shot. It happens, but it isn't anyone's fault but the guy swinging the club. So you make what, 6 there? Unless you blew the last 2 holes too, it still had to be a great round for you! That's your takeaway.....

I waved them off they wouldn't play. I was content with waiting but eventually someone had to do something right. So if I chose to do this to the group behind me for 18 holes it's okay? I play a lot of golf and have never seen this without letting someone play through. Why would I want to hit into a green with people on it? And yes I take responsibility for the shot and the partial blame is for them not going when I waved them off. They were 180 yards away so it's not like I could have a conversation with them explaining I didn't want to go. They watched 3 lay up shots and could've been off the green.

James

I waved them off they wouldn't play. I was content with waiting but eventually someone had to do something right. So if I chose to do this to the group behind me for 18 holes it's okay? I play a lot of golf and have never seen this without letting someone play through. Why would I want to hit into a green with people on it? And yes I take responsibility for the shot and the partial blame is for them not going when I waved them off. They watched 3 lay up shots and could've been off the green.

So what'd you shoot, 76, 77? That's a great (career?) round for an 11 hcp! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
I waved them off they wouldn't play. I was content with waiting but eventually someone had to do something right. So if I chose to do this to the group behind me for 18 holes it's okay?

No, as I said, it's sometimes standard practice to do it on par threes and when a player is capable of hitting a par five in two.

It lets the people on the tee play their shot, it lets your playing partners advance so they're ready to play when the group leaves the green, etc. It speeds things up.

If you waved them off, two thoughts spring to mind:

1) They didn't see you.

2) They saw you… but they saw you taking practice swings like you were wanting to hit up.

If I want someone to play on, I sit in the cart or stand by my bag and don't even look toward the green. I often do this when I'm out just goofing around as a single playing behind some foursomes. I'll hit extra shots and take the time necessary to not push people too bad, but if they have a slow hole and I catch up, I make it obvious that I am not in a hurry. I don't stand near my ball taking practice swings.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They wanted to let you play to the green. In some clubs that's standard practice on par threes.

I don't know what the big deal is. Just hit your shot next time.

Sounds like they wanted to WATCH him play to the green. If so I think they should move off the green.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

What do you mean by "letting me play to the green"? I've never seen that unless letting someone play through. I only partially blame them for the shot. I should hit the shot. 9 out of 10 times, probably more, I am hitting it well enough to play. It is a little nerve-racking having people on the green surrounding a flag you are trying to hit into though.

Only partially this time? The course had to take the full brunt for holding you up at the turn by not having a place in the front of the line waiting for you, do you see the pattern yet?

Hey you hit it bud!!!

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

No, as I said, it's sometimes standard practice to do it on par threes and when a player is capable of hitting a par five in two. It lets the people on the tee play their shot, it lets your playing partners advance so they're ready to play when the group leaves the green, etc. It speeds things up. If you waved them off, two thoughts spring to mind: 1) They didn't see you. 2) They saw you… but they saw you taking practice swings like you were wanting to hit up. If I want someone to play on, I sit in the cart or stand by my bag and don't even look toward the green. I often do this when I'm out just goofing around as a single playing behind some foursomes. I'll hit extra shots and take the time necessary to not push people too bad, but if they have a slow hole and I catch up, I make it obvious that I am not in a hurry. I don't stand near my ball taking practice swings.

I was practicing off to the side. Not my first round of golf. I find it funny that you are saying if you are being held up you sit in the cart tightening up or play slow to be sure not to push the group. I play a lot of golf. I would have to guess about 120+ a year and have never seen it. [quote name="flopster" url="/t/75488/had-a-big-wtf-moment-on-the-course-today#post_1012621"] Only partially this time? The course had to take the full brunt for holding you up at the turn by not having a place in the front of the line waiting for you, do you see the pattern yet? [/quote] Yeah because the scenarios are so closely related. What a feeble attempt by you to keep whining about that.

James

• Administrator
I find it funny that you are saying if you are being held up you sit in the cart tightening up or play slow to be sure not to push the group.

I didn't say that at all. Please re-read, and if that's still your conclusion, I don't know what to tell you.

I play a lot of golf. I would have to guess about 120+ a year and have never seen it.

I've never seen a guy take 15+ minutes at the turn and expect to slot himself back in to the tenth tee as he pleases, but you never know…

They were waving you up, just as some places wave up players on par threes. Waving you up would let the guys behind you tee off, would let your playing partners move to their shots so they're capable of playing as soon as the group is off the green, and so on.

I didn't say that at all. Please re-read, and if that's still your conclusion, I don't know what to tell you. I've never seen a guy take 15+ minutes at the turn and expect to slot himself back in to the tenth tee as he pleases, but you never know…

Pretty sure that's what you said. And maybe you should read that entire thread again and then post again and not go off topic to try to draw a weak comparison.

James

Pretty sure that's what you said. And maybe you should read that entire thread again and then post again and not go off topic to try to draw a weak comparison.

Speaking of reading comprehension, go check again who it was that brought up your amusing debacle between the 9th and 10th on this thread. It wasn't Erik (nor was it me).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Sounds like they wanted to WATCH him play to the green. If so I think they should move off the green.

Ummmm, think I got in the middle of some personal stuff. Sorry I'm new and I don't know nuttin !

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

Speaking of reading comprehension, go check again who it was that brought up your amusing debacle between the 9th and 10th on this thread. It wasn't Erik (nor was it me).

I answered the original person up top but he decided to put it in his post as well which is why I addressed it. The irony of reading compute soon being mentioned in you post is amusing. [quote name="jusanothajoe" url="/t/75488/had-a-big-wtf-moment-on-the-course-today#post_1012636"]Ummmm, think I got in the middle of some personal stuff. Sorry I'm new and I don't know nuttin ! [/quote] Off topic but welcomr to the site. Just make sure you agree with them on everything or else you have a bunch of folks ganging up on you. Decent site for learning stuff on the game but I am starting to think only a handful of people here actually play golf on a course more than a handful of times a year.

James

I answered the original person up top but he decided to put it in his post as well which is why I addressed it. The irony of reading compute soon being mentioned in you post is amusing.

Off topic but welcomr to the site. Just make sure you agree with them on everything or else you have a bunch of folks ganging up on you. Decent site for learning stuff on the game but I am starting to think only a handful of people here actually play golf on a course more than a handful of times a year.

And you would be Wrong. Also, I'd like to point out that you might want to brush up on your spelling, i.e. Welcome has an E at the end, not an R... ;-)

• Administrator

Pretty sure that's what you said.

It isn't, no.

Just make sure you agree with them on everything or else you have a bunch of folks ganging up on you.

You apparently perceive being in a small minority as people "ganging up on you."

Nothing's happened to you. You've not been punished, reprimanded, or otherwise "ganged up on" at all - people have simply disagreed with you (en masse).

Note: This thread is 3582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!