IGNORED

Driver help

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let me go ahead and open a can of worms....I need help with choosing the right driver loft. I have been using a 9.5 loft TaylorMade R9 for 2 years. When I don't slice the ball, I average 330 yards of distance. I know that you can't expect to buy a new driver and your slice will vanish from your golf game. However, I have been working on my mechanics and my slice has improved quite a bit. I have gone from slicing the ball 60% of the time to 30%. I still have improvements to make on my mechanics, but I also want to use a driver that is more forgiving. I don't have a golf center near me to go and test various drivers, so I went out and bought an RBZ Stage 1 driver with a 10.5 loft, thinking that it could improve my lingering slice. I have played one round with it and only sliced the ball 2 times on 14 drives. I loved the feel of the driver and was happy with my consistency, but lost about 15 yards distance on my drives. The loss in distance is fine with me, I would rather be on the fairway than in the trees on my second shot. But, because the feel and size difference is so much better than my old R9, I am wondering how much that could play into a decrease in my slice? Does the loft really matter as muc as the feel and club head size? Essentially, I want to try out a 9.5 RBZ Stage 1 driver and see if I can still be consistent with the change in loft. Or should I just make adjustments to the 10.5 driver and see how it turns out? Since there is nowhere close for me to go test this, I am looking for some input. I am relatively new to the idea of adjustable drivers even though I have had one for several years. As I continue to improve my game I want to gain more knowledge about equipment, so any help is appreciated.

Posts questioning the legitimacy of your 330 yard drives in 3,2,1.....

Don't forget that this is an "average"...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Posts questioning the legitimacy of your 330 yard drives in 3,2,1.....

To be expected as I often get that response when talking with other people in person, until I get out and golf with them. However, I have no reason to create a lie behind a computer screen to impress people. I am just looking for help and would like to get the most accurate information possible. Just remember...it's all in the hips.

I think he meant 230, probably a typo.

EDIT: Okay, not a typo.

If you drive 330 yards when you don't slice, then use your 3W. That will give you something like 300 yards. Or even a 19 degree hybrid will give you something like 280 yards.

You wouldn't need a driver until you hit the pros. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think he meant 230, probably a typo.

Nah, there's lots of guys on this forum that hit like that. This would be the place to come get some help.

Nah, there's lots of guys on this forum that hit like that. This would be the place to come get some help.

Yeah, I forgot. :whistle:

BTW, 330 yards is not really unbelievable, but I think he might be seriously swinging out of his shoes.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You wouldn't need a driver until you hit the pros.

Which he could apparently do from 330 yards away.

Yeah, I forgot.

BTW, 330 yards is not really unbelievable, but I think he might be seriously swinging out of his shoes.

Yeah, I was just having some fun. I can't talk because I get a [expletive deleted] when I hit it 220.

I think if you have a driver in your bag that you hit 315 yards in the fairway, then work on fixing something else.

Let's try something new guys; so often these types of "I drive the ball 300+ yards but I slice it, what can I do..." threads get started, and all we do is question the legitimacy of the distance. Do I think he drives it 330 yards average , no... but  who cares. Instead of focusing on that part of the post, let's just pretend that he put some realistic distance in there instead and then try to answer his question.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Honestly just looking for help. I have a lot of power, but that doesn't make me a professional golfer.

I'd suggest posting a video of your swing.  That way the swing pros on here can see exactly what you're doing and provide appropriate guidance.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Honestly just looking for help. I have a lot of power, but that doesn't make me a professional golfer.

Seriously though, you should avoid using your driver until you get used to hitting your hybrid or 3W off the tee. That will help your game.

If you really swing the club 130 mph, you need to find a really good club fitter. Anyone else will be taking a stab in the dark, and cost you lots of $$$ trying to "fit" you.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Seriously though, you should avoid using your driver until you get used to hitting your hybrid or 3W off the tee. That will help your game.

If you really swing the club 130 mph, you need to find a really good club fitter. Anyone else will be taking a stab in the dark, and cost you lots of $$$ trying to "fit" you.

Thanks for the advice. I actually did play a few rounds using my 3 wood off the tee box and I believe it helped me a little bit. I will go to a fitter when I get the opportunity, but would love any advice until then. I just want to keep getting better and having to take a few drops every game really hurts my score.

Note: This thread is 3580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!