IGNORED

6/7 8/9 irons??? Never heard of these before.

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm new around here. I recently started going to the driving range and really enjoyed it. I went for my 30th birthday for the first time and I've been hooked since. I haven't played an actual round, just been going to the range trying to get my swing mechanics down and using the clubs they have at the clubhouse. I'm researching to invest in my own set of clubs. I'm on a budget and I fell upon an Acuity set at Dick's Sporting Goods, reviews seem decent but I noticed that the irons are different than any other I've encountered. They are listed as 6/7 and 8/9 irons. What does this mean? I even tried googling some info on these but I can't find anything. I've included how they are listed in the specifics below. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

6/7 Iron SPECS:

• Loft: 34°
  • Lie: 62°

8/9 Iron SPECS:

• Loft: 42°
  • Lie: 64°

I've seen this in single irons sold for children. But, none for adults. Don't know why makers don' just have a 7 and 9 iron.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's what I was thinking..."why are they combined, why not just make regular ones". It's what is keeping me from going through with the purchase. Great price but I don't want to be using something that's VERY uncommon, or something I have no information about except what you just told me.

I have clubs with those loft specs.

To me, they're not combined at all.  I also have a 38 degree iron.  If you had to assign numbers to them, they would be my 6 and 8 iron, respectively.  I guess you'd call the 38 degree iron, my 7 iron.

Irons are about precision, distance control, accuracy...not the number on the bottom.

So basically what you're saying is that I shouldn't even pay attention to the number at the bottom and just worry about the loft degree to distinguish my irons?

Thank you so much for the info, minitour.

So basically what you're saying is that I shouldn't even pay attention to the number at the bottom and just worry about the loft degree to distinguish my irons?

Yup. I would love it if my next set of irons just had the lofts listed instead of giving names to the clubs.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

How many clubs are included in the set?  It sounds like a half set to me, so they put 2 numbers on each club to make it look like you have a 6, 7, 8 & 9 iron when you really only have two clubs.

For a beginner, I see nothing wrong with getting a half set (as long as you are not paying a full set price).  I would worry more about the fit (correct lie angles & shaft stiffness) and quality of the clubs/shafts rather than exactly how many degrees of loft each has.

If you can figure out whether you should have standard, upright or flat lies and the correct shaft based on your swing speed, then you might be best off trying to pick up some used clubs- preferably something that is forgiving.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

How many clubs are included in the set?  It sounds like a half set to me, so they put 2 numbers on each club to make it look like you have a 6, 7, 8 & 9 iron when you really only have two clubs.

For a beginner, I see nothing wrong with getting a half set (as long as you are not paying a full set price).  I would worry more about the fit (correct lie angles & shaft stiffness) and quality of the clubs/shafts rather than exactly how many degrees of loft each has.

If you can figure out whether you should have standard, upright or flat lies and the correct shaft based on your swing speed, then you might be best off trying to pick up some used clubs- preferably something that is forgiving.

I started playing golf over 50 years ago and recall my first set was a 1,3,5 wood and 3,5,7,9 irons and a putter. Made by Northwestern and cost $25. Back then you would often see starter sets like this versus the traditional full set. I actually used that set for about 5-6 years before graduating to a full set. I'll say this - that first set was super easy to carry.

7 clubs: Driver, 3FW, 23* Hybrid (which by the loft I'm guessing it's a 4H), 6/7 Iron, 8/9 Iron, PW and Putter.

Yup. I would love it if my next set of irons just had the lofts listed instead of giving names to the clubs.

I think this would be cool too.  But I've been considering getting my lofts bent a bit to close some gaps in my bag, and it would be a bit weird if I bent my PW to 48˚ but I chose it from the bag by finding the club that said "46" on it!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

It's a totally reasonable play to get a beginner set that's D, 3w, 4h, 7i, 9i, PW, putter.  Force yourself to learn some control over the clubs, hit each one a bit longer or well shorter than it goes with a stock shot.

But I'd ask what your budget is?  I see that 7-piece set is $95 at Dick's.  You'd have a hard time putting together a decent complete set of used clubs, driver through putter, for quite that.  But you can surely do it for $200 total and get much better clubs.  My Roger Dunn has a great used club selection, and I've seen plenty of older drivers and 3ws that were solid or better when new that aren't super pretty but still totally hit the ball pure for <$50.  And you can definitely find used full (4-PW) iron/hybrid sets significantly better than Acuity for $100 too.  I'd say putter matters less and you can just start off with the cheapest one you can find on CL, which might be near free.  I totally agree no need to spend a ton as a beginner on a budget, but you might consider spending just a bit more and spend the time to find excellent deals on used clubs.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Kind of like these:

http://edelgolf.com/edel-cavity-back-irons

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

It would be the quality I'd be concerned about rather than the lack of clubs, probably has junk shafts, nasty grips etc. A decent set of yesteryears good stuff will be cheap on eBay. I saw some new Tour Edge Exotics irons with KBS shafts in the $200 range on eBay. It won't take long to outgrow the Acuity set.

Dave :-)

I think this would be cool too.  But I've been considering getting my lofts bent a bit to close some gaps in my bag, and it would be a bit weird if I bent my PW to 48˚ but I chose it from the bag by finding the club that said "46" on it!

A bit weird, yes. Would be amusing though to ask someone else to fetch for you. "Hey Mike, can you get me my 48 degree?" and I come back with the one marked "46" and am right on it. [quote name="tristanhilton85" url="/t/75531/6-7-8-9-irons-never-heard-of-these-before#post_1013953"]Kind of like these: [URL=http://edelgolf.com/edel-cavity-back-irons]http://edelgolf.com/edel-cavity-back-irons[/URL] [/quote] Er... yes, exactly. A bit odd in loft spacing (only 3 degrees 7-6 and smaller?), but nice and more or less what I was hoping to see someone do. Well, now there's almost a dozen Edel clubs on my wish list.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

It's a totally reasonable play to get a beginner set that's D, 3w, 4h, 7i, 9i, PW, putter.  Force yourself to learn some control over the clubs, hit each one a bit longer or well shorter than it goes with a stock shot.

But I'd ask what your budget is?  I see that 7-piece set is $95 at Dick's.  You'd have a hard time putting together a decent complete set of used clubs, driver through putter, for quite that.  But you can surely do it for $200 total and get much better clubs.  My Roger Dunn has a great used club selection, and I've seen plenty of older drivers and 3ws that were solid or better when new that aren't super pretty but still totally hit the ball pure for <$50.  And you can definitely find used full (4-PW) iron/hybrid sets significantly better than Acuity for $100 too.  I'd say putter matters less and you can just start off with the cheapest one you can find on CL, which might be near free.  I totally agree no need to spend a ton as a beginner on a budget, but you might consider spending just a bit more and spend the time to find excellent deals on used clubs.

My budget's pretty tight. $150 is already stretching so I know I can't do $200. When I found the Acuity set, they peaked my interest obviously due to the $95 price tag because they actually come out to $64-and-change with extra discounts added (25% Clearance and 10% Coupon). I'm certain that quality isn't the best but as a beginner (literally a beginner) I figured why not give them a shot but at the same time remembering and understanding the saying "you get what you pay for".

Even though I want to try them, again due to the low price tag, I am going to research used clubs and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the info!

Kind of like these:

http://edelgolf.com/edel-cavity-back-irons

Or these...

;-)

I'm a big fan of the 4-degree gapping in the irons and 5 in the wedges.  Has really stabilized my yardage gaps.

Call the 46 a PW, a 9-iron, a Niblic, I don't care.  It goes xyz yards with a certain trajectory and spin.  That's what matters in golf.  Not how far you hit it, but KNOWING how far you hit it.

Or these...

I'm a big fan of the 4-degree gapping in the irons and 5 in the wedges.  Has really stabilized my yardage gaps.

Call the 46 a PW, a 9-iron, a Niblic, I don't care.  It goes xyz yards with a certain trajectory and spin.  That's what matters in golf.  Not how far you hit it, but KNOWING how far you hit it.

What are those?  Beautiful looking clubs.  Really interesting loft idea too!  4˚ gaps from 18˚ to 46˚, leaves room for a 50˚, 55˚, and 60˚ wedge, 3w, and driver.  This might be my new dream setup!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Scratch.

They can do just about anything you want.  They feel great, perform amazingly, and now that they've started to rust (raw finish), they look even better.

Super thrilled with how they turned out.

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!