IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)

phillyk

21 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

One of the other courses you're referring to must be Shuksan....I like the course and have always walked much to the disdain of my wife who whines that we should cart it.

No, I was thinking Sudden Valley and Eaglemont.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, phillyk said:

No, I was thinking Sudden Valley and Eaglemont.

I could sneak on and walk the front nine at Eaglemont... but getting up that hill to #9 tee could be a killer.

P.S.  It is (was) a ride only course with the cart fee factored into the greens fee.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

• 2 weeks later...

Two swing thoughts have been working really well for me. 1) on initial takeaway, to create more flow, keep hands and clubhead still as I slide body right a little. 2) get (the feeling of) my left butt cheek back to the ball. The first one helps tempo and swing plane. The second helps with proper rotation. When I get tired, I can feel my hips not want to rotate to left side and I hit a snap. So that 2nd feel is important for the whole round. 

Short game, I need to let the clubhead fly a bit. I try to press to much. Putting, move weight over left foot a touch. 

Hoping to get out for 9 holes this afternoon with my kid. When he’s with me, It’s hard to focus on the greens, so it’s mostly a tee to green game with him. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

• 4 weeks later...

Played in my first tournament of the summer.  Felt a little nervous on the first few holes.  Full swing and short game went well. Course management went poorly in a few spots.  Was -4 going into the hardest hole on the course (#17) and I got too aggressive and hit my drive through the fairway, ended up getting a double and finished the round at -2, 70.  Highlights were wedge shots.  They were sticky all day.

Swing is feeling good. Main thought recently has been to feel like the path is coming straight and then left after impact.  For some reason, in my stance, distance from the ball has been getting too close.  So I paid attention to that today.  Putting, which had been not great lately, I focused on my stroke more than the aim.  It seemed to settle me and I was able to make a few more than usual.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I looked at myself in the mirror the other day when taking backswings and saw that my clubface was a bit open at A4. So I flattened that out and bowed the wrist a bit to square it and I started hitting some excellent shots, long irons especially. Before they seemed weak, now they are flying the way they should be. Tendency, though, is to get a little too loose and I flip through and hook it. When I’m focused on my target and shot shape, I can hit some darts.

I’ve also been able to shot shape better. I can hit the fade or straight ball instead of draw when I want. I simply adjust where my chest is pointing and swing along it. (At least thats the feel I have). 

This is my 9 iron from the school’s hitting bay. Focus was on a simpler backswing. I started overswinging again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator
5 hours ago, phillyk said:

Finally got around to updating my birdies on my new home course.

Where did you end up?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Where did you end up?

A Bellingham, WA muni, Lake Padden GC. Mostly going to be teaching, but I’m working shop too at the moment until I build more of a clientele. Once junior programs can start again, I’ll be doing a lot of work on camps and pga junior league. Course also hosts a drive, chip and putt qualifier. Doing well so far, despite everything going on.

I think I’ll be able to grow nicely here. Will have to come up with a good plan for next year. 

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been teaching a lot since starting my new job. Generally, they’ve gone well. Tough ones have generally been with those who roll the arms/hands through too much. It’s tough to create a feel for them to improve the swing. But, when I have time between lessons, I can hit.

The full swing, of late, has been ok. But I also haven’t really tried to work on anything special. So today I started working on a bit more rotation and getting to a flatter position at the top. I’m definitely still steep at the top but I got more rotation and a better impact position. I also worked a bit on short game. The ball flight before had been too sweepy. After working on the swing, it got a lot straighter and a bit higher flight which I’m ok with. Short game definitely needs the most work, so that will be my focus when I have time. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

I forgot to add that I found a set of old persimmon woods and ancient irons in my lesson area. They are actually fun to mess around with. I can hit the driver decently 2/3 of the time I think and they go about 250-260. But the 1 miss is like a 50yd hook. The sound is pretty cool too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

😆😆😆 Okay, Mr. Mickelson.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 2 weeks later...

So, my last round of golf was absolutely crap.  Both good and bad shots found every tree branch, tree trunk, or OB line.  Only thing that worked ok, was my short game because I'd been working a lot more on it recently.  Regarding the swing, I think the biggest part was I wasn't focused.  I was in between two swings and couldn't decide on one or the other or something.  Either I hit a perfectly straight ball or it hooked about 15-20yds.  But, move on, cool.

I've been to the range a couple times since that, and I think I've sorted out it out a bit.  The ultimate goal is inline impact and overall reduced wrist action.  Before, I tried to feel like I was swinging a cut swing with a press of my hands/hold off.  It wasn't consistent because of, ultimately, my weight control (it was a little flippy but I think the weight/rotation is the underline cause).  If it didn't get forward enough, I hooked every time. When I got into it, it went straight.  So, how to get my weight more "into it." 

My last range session was pretty successful I think and I hope to play a few holes this afternoon to see if I'm getting there.  At set up, I'm squaring up my stance again, if not slightly closed with  the driver.  I have to exaggerate a "low and inside" takeaway (I've always been very vertical).  From there, I want to feel the inside to out path and push left with my body (more than I'd think), which will rotate me around at impact.  I was hitting some straight to push draw ball flights. My swing thought phrase right now is, "inside and push."  Honestly, I'd rather block one slightly right versus see the hook if I miss.  Definitely before I play, I'll get a video it make sure it's not way in to out. I hate sweepers. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Ok................ so to hell with all the above. I felt completely lost today. So, I went back to my “roots” of thinking only about the leading edge of club face being parallel with my lead arm at A4 and swinging through with a feeling of throwing everything at my target. Played 9 holes with that and actually felt good again and shot a decent score. 

I think I try to play too much into instructor Phil’s game that I forget how to play golfer Phil’s game. In short, I get in my own damn head way too much. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 4 weeks later...

I got elected today! Started the program in May 2015. Glad to see it finally here. I love what I do and I hope to continue! 
0DDCF3A7-5396-492A-9918-D9CE9EB5310F.jpeg.164011db46d6c3d6ae0f0a759867bf4d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

5 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Congratulations Phil!!!  That gets you a 2nd margarita...

Ill have to collect soon!

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Played last week in a men’s league at a local course, shot -3 on 9 holes.  Full swing was really dialed in.  Missed a couple putts, but was overall pleased.

Move to the last two days in a tournament, full swing was not dialed in, at all.  It was consistently inconsistent.  I don’t know what it is about tournaments this year, but I can’t seem to get my game going in them.  The greens at this course were nuts.  Super firm and super fast.  Realized that the lack on bottom grooves on my wedges would significantly hurt me, and it did. Many short game shots could not stop at the hole.  I don’t have that problem at the usual tracks because their greens are soft.  Because I was pissed off, I went to the range this morning to see if I could figure it out. I didn’t.  No matter how I tried to change path or club face, I kept fading/pushing it.  Went home, then thought about my grip. I grabbed a club, looked at my right handed, and stared. Super, super weak position. So no wonder everything I tried couldn’t get the ball to go left.  Hopefully I can get it going tomorrow.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Played a tournament yesterday and swing was definitely better but right hand feels a little funky. Need to get used to it again. Funny and weird how the right hand got as weak as it did.

The feel is to get my right index finger parallel with leading edge, which will keep the right hand in a good position. This feel works with irons and 3wood but driver will need a little more work. It hooks hard with that finger there. 

Had one terrible shot go OB early on which led to a double. But I also had 5 birdies and another bogey, so finished -2, 69. Still left a lot of short game shots out there, but putting was better. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Playing in a two day tournament again, NW Open at Wine Valley GC.  (No more walking off green early that I can see).  Day 1 - focus was solely on the grip pre swing, just getting my right hand in the correct spot.  The in swing thought/feel was get my hands back to where they started.  By focusing on it, I was able to swing smooth.  Even the swings where I tried to give an iron a little something extra, I hit really well.  Except for one wedge shot, I was sticking my irons and wedges close all day.  Driver was ok, a couple misses but they stayed in play.  Putting was interesting because while I was lagging them really well (no 3 putts all day) I wasn’t making reasonable birdie putts either. The greens at the course are massive and very fast, so lagging/dying the ball at the hole is very important. Overall, had 5 birdies and 1 double bogey (That one bad wedge shot went into a water hazard).  Birdies came on par 5’s and a couple from sticking wedge shots very tight. So 69 to start and 3 from the leaders.  Not trying to psych myself out going into today.  Just want to go out, swing smooth and ideally make a few more putts.

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA