IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)

phillyk

1 hour ago, Mr22putt said:

Nice shooting.

How are the greens now?....what's the stimp?

Why would the pros have a net event?....pros have a cap?

$100 is really cheap to play in an event like this.

Hope you didn't play behind the woman that shot 140...WTF.

What happened on 18 at Lake Padden for you when you played in a similar event at the end of August?...it's fairly benign hole...penalty strokes adding up that you were unaware at the time?

Lake Padden pro am was in the middle of my funk and I gave up on 18. It was a rough day. 

Chambers Bay greens, now that they’re poa, acted like poa. We played in afternoon/evening so footprints were everywhere and it was a little bumpy. Mornings, I’d bet they’d be pure. Stimp around 10. 

Yes, pros can have a handicap. I’m not sure how many of them keep it legitimately. As in only tournament scores get posted, auto from golf genius. The net is nice to have but most try for gross. Just a way to pay out more people. 

The events range from $60-$100, depending on the type of course. So high end public and private are $100 and on down to muni’s for $60. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, phillyk said:

Chambers Bay greens, now that they’re poa, acted like poa. We played in afternoon/evening so footprints were everywhere and it was a little bumpy. Mornings, I’d bet they’d be pure. Stimp around 10. 

The events range from $60-$100, depending on the type of course. So high end public and private are $100 and on down to muni’s for $60. 

So will the fescue start to invade the poa greens which CB will have to guard against?

I went to the Tues practice rd at CB for the 2015 USO....it's a somewhat difficult walk...but no harder a walk than Lake Padden....I always want to walk....CB is a YUGE piece of property.

$60-$100 is so CHEAP to play in these events.....assuming I could cross the border ....which I can't...could I play in this event and pay only $100?.....as a non-resident....if I showed up to CB it would cost me $190 in Oct.

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

So will the fescue start to invade the poa greens which CB will have to guard against?

I went to the Tues practice rd at CB for the 2015 USO....it's a somewhat difficult walk...but no harder a walk than Lake Padden....I always want to walk....CB is a YUGE piece of property.

$60-$100 is so CHEAP to play in these events.....assuming I could cross the border ....which I can't...could I play in this event and pay only $100?.....as a non-resident....if I showed up to CB it would cost me $190 in Oct.

The amateurs I bring could be from anywhere and it's the same price.  Chambers Bay pro am and the high end clubs fill up very fast when we are filling out our sign up allocations.  It's definitely a great price!

My legs were sore yesterday. I don't walk when I play as much as I should.

The reason for the switch to poa was because the poa will invade and take over any grass here in Western WA unless you have the money and time to spray particularly against it or pick the grass out.  This was the cause for concern at the US Open.  The greens were mostly fescue with many patches of poa growing, which causes the ball to bump around.  Eventually, except for the dune grass, the fairways will be taken over by poa as well.  They planted the poa greens a year ago to just get those over with. EDIT: to add, fescue grass is one of a few grass types that can be taken over very easily because of it's low density growth

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

48 minutes ago, phillyk said:

The amateurs I bring could be from anywhere and it's the same price.  Chambers Bay pro am and the high end clubs fill up very fast when we are filling out our sign up allocations.  It's definitely a great price!

The reason for the switch to poa was because the poa will invade and take over any grass here in Western WA unless you have the money and time to spray particularly against it or pick the grass out.  This was the cause for concern at the US Open.  The greens were mostly fescue with many patches of poa growing, which causes the ball to bump around.  Eventually, except for the dune grass, the fairways will be taken over by poa as well.  They planted the poa greens a year ago to just get those over with. EDIT: to add, fescue grass is one of a few grass types that can be taken over very easily because of it's low density growth

Ya...that's a crazy great price to play at CB and other privates. I think I read teams were built up by the pros....so why would a pro invite an Am(s) who have high caps that could likely slow down play?....makes no sense to me....as I said....could you imagine playing behind the gal that shot 140.....tournament play is slow enough...never mind Am's who shoot in the 100's.

Ya....poa is basically a weed that invades everywhere.....so I was wondering how they were coming along in the poa green replacement at CB.

54 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Ya...that's a crazy great price to play at CB and other privates. I think I read teams were built up by the pros....so why would a pro invite an Am(s) who have high caps that could likely slow down play?....makes no sense to me....as I said....could you imagine playing behind the gal that shot 140.....tournament play is slow enough...never mind Am's who shoot in the 100's.

Ya....poa is basically a weed that invades everywhere.....so I was wondering how they were coming along in the poa green replacement at CB.

All greens were replaced just over a year ago. 

The invitation of am's can be different based on where a pro works.  Some pros have contracts with their course that commits them to playing with members that sign up.  Another reason for higher handicaps is the team game, which is either 1G/1N or 2N, so having a high handicap do well on one or two holes can make a big difference in the team game.  I don't have a commitment with my course and the max handicap I have brought is 20.  It can be tough, but I keep them moving as I can.  Last year, there were rules in place to keep pace, but because of COVID, those rules are mostly ignored this season. The pace for CB was 5.25hrs. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

8 hours ago, phillyk said:

The pace for CB was 5.25hrs. 

Ouch....I've played in double shotgun charity/corporate scrambles in 5.5 hours with really lousy golfers....and it's not as if players at CB are spending a lot of time in the trees/woods looking for lost balls.

I guess for $100 I'd put up with slow play.

I had a crazy round today. Both great and terrible. 7 birdies, 5 pars, 4 bogies, a double and a triple... yeah... 7 birdies and I couldn’t break par... short game wasn’t good. The double and triple came from toe hooks with the driver. Honestly got scared at the tee and tried and failed to swing easy. 

I play another round tomorrow at a track I like and typically do well at. Just want to play smart and make more putts. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

My round yesterday should've been good, but the greens crapped out on me at the end. I was at -3 going into 17 and 18.  17 par 3, I put my 8 iron to 3ft, missed as it took a left hand turn off of an aeration hole that hadn't recovered. Greens were aerified 3 weeks ago at this course, and the greens had been ok most of the day. But poa being poa, things get bumpy at the end of the day as footprints show and stay and growth occurs in different areas.  18, par 5, I was just off the edge of the green in 2. Chip was not the greatest, but had 10ft.  Ball bounced right and missed, then my 2ft par putt hit another bump and missed.  So, a disappointing finish of -2, but I feel good about the way that I hit the ball and putted. Just going to keep working.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 1 month later...

Been working on impact to follow through feel. I know I “turn over” too much, so as per the video I’m not necessarily trying to hold off, more of get hands left of clubhead or something. It gets my chest left of target at impact and increases hip turn. Ball flight is very straight even though it feels like it should be a fade. I’m also standing slightly further from the ball, seems like impact becomes shallower which I like. 

Played a few holes (to practice) before it started raining harder than I’m comfortable with without appropriate clothing. Driver, surprisingly, went very straight.

Putting again though has been an issue lately. But I noticed my clubface, for some reason, has become closed compared to the grip. I tend to pull everything so it makes sense. But it annoys me that I didn’t notice earlier. I will switch to my old putter until I regrip it. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve still been working on that follow through, and now it had evolved a bit into what feels like a swing with more width. Short game is really coming around and putting is a bit better. I need to keep in mind my left hand grip. 

Last two days, I got eagles on par 5s. It’s been a long time since doing it two days in a row. One was a chip in and the other a long 50-60ft putt. One round finished at 71, and the other 68. Had spells of bogies both times.

I should be getting my new putter grip today so I can put that on. 

• Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I last posted an update. Full swing is feeling good. Right now, I am working on keeping my right hand stronger as it tends to get weaker if I stop paying attention.  Then two main thoughts are hands low (which also applies to impact) and soft, straight trail arm.  For me, that challenge helped quiet my lower body on the back swing, and I feel that I load better.  If it gets away from me, I miss right.  When I’m feeling good, I hit a very straight ball.  One additional thought with long irons is to feel like I’m swinging up, as it helps shallow the club (took really big divots before).

Onto the short game, chipping/pitching, I really need to remember the feeling of extending or pressing with my left hand. It keeps me standing a bit taller which helps control my low point.  Putting, not sure I’ve ever posted a video of my putt. So here is one.

The putter is my new Frontline Iso from Cleveland.  Wasn’t sure I would like it when I put in the order, but I love it! Ever since my old, old putter was put to rest, I have not found something with a similar feel.  I feel more confident in my alignment and set up.  The grip has a great feel and weight to it. And from the video, I’m launching the ball really well.  The only thing is I need to get the club a bit lower.  The low point is a bit high off the ground.  I’m definitely going to put some practice in with this and make sure my putting gets better, as it has been the weakest point in my game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 1 month later...

Today is my 10yr anniversary on TST! Geez I’ve gotten old.

Got my new ZX7 driver with a Ventus Black 6X shaft on last Friday. Hitting it really well so far, definitely better flight. So I now have the full new set of Srixon/Cleveland gear. Zx7 driver, 3wood, and irons. Zipcore wedges and a cleveland putter.

Putting has gotten better. I had to change my right hand grip as I kept using the wrist too much. Stroke feels smoother and I’m hitting my lines. Still need a bit more work on distance control. 

Full swing still feels solid. Main swing thought is to feel extension on the backswing. Otherwise I have a tendency to close the clubface a bit quick.

First pro am of the season is March 15, so looking forward to that. But I’m really excited to be traveling to Bandon to play Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Sheep Ranch on March 23/24.  Definitely want to play well there!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 5 weeks later...

Realized I didn't post anything about my trip to Bandon Dunes. 

Day 1 - (more like evening since the day was mostly driving), my dad and I went to the punch bowl.  One of the 18's was reserved for a party.  We played the other and it was fun.  Nice to have the drink shack right there, start off the trip right!  Beat my dad, but it was close.  Greens there were ok, bit bumpy, but not unexpected considering the traffic that must go through there.  That evening we went to a crab shack and met with a former co-worker who lives down there and helped build Bandon Dunes.  

Day 2 - we played Bandon Dunes with a caddie in the early am.  Weather was sunny and high 30's at tee off, and low 50's at the end.  Wind started a little calm then picked up to 20-30mph by the end.  The wind definitely screwed with me at the end, as I finished 4 over on the last 4 holes to shoot a 77.  Played the back tees at 6700yds (they didn't have the championship tees set up). My first impression was that I didn't like the course too much. I'm not sure that having a caddie helped that feeling.  He gave me some iffy advice on where to hit and where a better miss would be.  Because of the rolling hills, it's hard to know if being short or long of a pin/green is better, without knowing the course.  He told me some bad info, but maybe we didn't quite understand one another.  There were also holes, I could've cut off some distance.  Looking back, I would enjoy playing another round there, knowing now where the hills are and how to manage the course.  

In the afternoon, we played Sheep Ranch, no caddie.  This is the windiest course on their property, and it did not disappoint.  Winds were likely 30+mph.  Couldn't swing my driver without it feeling like it was blowing around. Balls were oscillating on the tees and greens.  Greens were slower because of the wind expectation.  The course itself, is very unique, and I think that's why I enjoyed it so much.  Every hole was designed with the summer wind in mind. 450yd par 4's down wind and 320yd par 4's into the wind.  I had to go driver, wedge downwind, but driver, 7 iron into the wind on those respective distances.  Certain holes had cool design features, like the volcano par 5, and gorse bushes that come into play.  There are no bunkers on the course as far as having sand, but there are definitely places they could go if needed.  My score is not worth mentioning, as I did not feel that I was playing golf anymore with the wind as high as it was.  I was playing, "what punch shot should I try next?"  I played driver off deck, normal drives, 2iron stingers.  It was all in my head obviously, but I couldn't get myself to relax out there.  Interestingly, their signature par 3, 16th, is starting to sink/slide.  Half of the tee box has dropped about a foot recently, you can see the turf tearing.  Not sure what will happen there.

Day 3 - we played Pacific Dunes in the early am (we drove home after this round), no caddie although the guy we played with had one.  This is my favorite course of the 3 we played.  I think it is because it was shaped out almost like a traditional course (because of the trees and gorse), but obviously still links.  Weather was overcast with drizzle at times, but wind stayed calm 5-10mph.  It started raining harder on 18, so we finished just about in time.  No real surprises to this course, although I would've liked to go for it on 1 (about 330yds or something), but I had no idea what it looked like around the green.  There was another par 4 I did go for it on, but ended up just short.  The green was quite raised up from the fairway.  Ended up shooting a 73 here.  The greens were the faster of the 3 we played and also rolled very smoothly.

Overall on the trip, my tee to green was great! Short game was horrific.  3 putts were annoying but not unexpected with the green sizes.  Chipping/pitching was unbelievably bad (sand shots were still good).  I couldn't hit a clean shot to save my life.  Everything was a chunk or skull.  The firm, sandy, grass got into my head.  If I tried to hit down, fat.  I tried to use more bounce, skull.  Seriously, I was a head case.  Bandon, I lost maybe 4-5 strokes from bad shots. Pacific, I lost 3 strokes.  It costed me a lot.  I'm still recovering.  Only found a little confidence yesterday in the stroke.  It's a good thing that I've been hitting almost every green in regulation on my last few rounds. 

If/when I go back, I would like to do Bandon Dunes again, so I can play it my way, Pacific Dunes as it was my favorite, and I want to try Bandon Trails since it looked like a fun track.

My latest tournament, Pro-am, was at Meridian Valley last Monday.  I ended up shooting a 70 (-2) with 16GIR. One of my misses was in a bunker, which I put to a foot for a tap in save. The other miss was after getting the LD for pros and chunking my 65yd pitch shot (mental struggle from bandon).  Putted from well off the green because I was scared to do it again, and made bogey. The greens had been aerated a couple weeks before, and still showed. The morning wave, likely, had smoother greens, but we were in the afternoon.  I had so many birdie opportunities from inside 20ft, but couldn't get anything to drop. I had two 3 putt bogies which didn't help. My last hole, though, I made a 15ft eagle putt.

I've since worked hard on short game and finally settled on a shot.  I knew what I was doing but couldn't stop.  Hopefully, my tee to green continues to stay strong, I have a couple simple swing thoughts that have been working.  Short game will come back, I know it, but got to keep practicing to get my confidence up.  Putting, my 3 putts have all come from hitting the initial downhill putt wayyy too hard, so I'll need to focus on those a bit.  I'm excited for the summer, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA

2 hours ago, phillyk said:

I'm not sure that having a caddie helped that feeling.  He gave me some iffy advice on where to hit and where a better miss would be.  Because of the rolling hills, it's hard to know if being short or long of a pin/green is better, without knowing the course.  He told me some bad info, but maybe we didn't quite understand one another.  There were also holes, I could've cut off some distance.

Your caddie probably didn't realize how long you can be off the tee... he's caddied for too many guys who hit it 220, not 320.

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Your caddie probably didn't realize how long you can be off the tee... he's caddied for too many guys who hit it 220, not 320.

Yeah, the tough part is saying what my distances are. I try to be realistic, but they still look at me like I’m crazy.  The starter at Sheep Ranch shook his head when I said I was playing back.  I think he was serious, and it actually annoyed me quite a bit.  I get that most people shouldn’t play back, but it was more of how he said it.  This is a golf resort, maybe act like it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

1 minute ago, phillyk said:

Yeah, the tough part is saying what my distances are. I try to be realistic, but they still look at me like I’m crazy.  The starter at Sheep Ranch shook his head when I said I was playing back.  I think he was serious, and it actually annoyed me quite a bit.  I get that most people shouldn’t play back, but it was more of how he said it.  This is a golf resort, maybe act like it.

When he saw your practice swing he knew you couldn't dribble it over 200 yards.  😁

Just ordered myself a flightscope mevo+ with the e6 basic subscription package. Should be good for the students and me! 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA