Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)


phillyk

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator

7A57DCC0-89AE-4475-A752-5188CFC1D107.jpeg

Got my mevo plus! I hook it up to a 55in TV to see the data and play golf. Really liking it’s data so far. Seems super accurate. 

Game-wise, my short game has finally come around.  Feel is to have left shoulder come up at impact, just needed a little rotation. Putting I was missing my line on many left to right putts. Found my eye line was too far over the ball so I’m sitting into my heels a bit and I’ve been making many more putts. Full swing, I had been in a really good place but now am starting to hook it. I know I’ve always had ball position well past center, so I moved it back a bit which made me feel like I have to stay back and turn more versus my forced lean turn. It feels better but will still need to hit a bunch of balls to dial it in. Got a good toy to help!

  • Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, phillyk said:

We did have a rules situation that I got correct, guys ball embedded into grass that was on bank of bunker. Question was whether it was apart of bunker or grass because there was sand an inch from where he embedded and it was below what looks like edge of bunker. We played two balls, one as embedded and one as an unplayable. The embedding was the official’s answer. 

Well done.  In the end, where did he take relief?  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Well done.  In the end, where did he take relief?  

So, the ball was well under the lip of the bunker area. He dropped within 1 clublength no closer to hole up on top of the bank in the grass.  Wasn’t a great stance but he had a swing.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Had a first today, 2 eagles in a row! Played 9 holes with a friend. Definitely an up and down, crazy round. Had fun. Putting got better recently once I took a video and realized I was going out to in. Changed my stance and felt myself go to the inside a bit, just got to keep my left hand stiff.

Stat to note, is average score per par. 🤣

844AA138-F296-4D95-8E29-3161929081A7.png7BFA4BDD-86F2-4178-8274-8605DDCD6BC8.png

  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator

B85B9775-A5D0-4E3D-81C8-46680E1CC347.jpeg
88115CBE-BB6E-40DC-81CE-A9910F714439.png

Got my 2nd Hole in one today! Played from forward tees as part of a playing lesson with a student of mine. Fun round, needless to say. But, I still had to pay for drinks after the lesson. 😁 

I switched to my old putter and I’m seeing and hitting my lines much better! Full swing feels good and putting is catching up. I feel some low scores coming!

  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Moderator

I haven’t posted a swing in a while, especially a FO one. Working on more chest turn in initial takeaway here. Swing is feeling a lul right now. Not horrible but not hitting my lines. Funny this swing felt like I swung hard, but doesn’t look like it. Hit a nice push draw that went a good ways and right at the target. Eventually I need to get less movement left and more rotation. 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

phillyk...I have read many of the posts in this thread and have really enjoyed following your journey. 

Are you still trying to improve your swing? 

If so, is it because you want to be on tour or have some specific achievement goal, or do you just want to get better? 

If you want to get better, do you believe that the mechanical flaws in your swing are preventing you from getting better? I'm sure that sounds stupid to ask, and maybe it's self-evident that if you fix a mechanical flaw, you will improve performance. But the fact that you are a high level golfer with a plus handicap suggests you have grooved these faults so to speak, and that the journey to a more mechanically sound swing would probably involve a long period where your performance gets worse, before it gets better. 

Is there any repeatable scenario where your flaws surface? In other words, are you a +3 (or whatever it is) on normal courses, but if you play tight courses or courses with alot of rough or something, does your performance get worse? Do you feel like you play worse when it's competition or a pressure situation, or are you better in those circumstances? 

One of the fascinating things in your thread is comparing the practice swings to the ones hitting the ball. Have you ever been able to hit a ball with the same, more "correct" motion you show in some of your practice swings? I do this as well, and I think many people do, and I am very interested in how a person overcomes this disconnect (although I expect it's no secret or mystery...just repetitions with proper feedback, trying and not giving up until you get it, etc.....)

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

... but if you play tight courses or courses with alot of rough or something, does your performance get worse?

No.  His home course is very tight and tree-lined.  Off the tee he finds secret spots that are treeless.  Places I've never seen before.  Wedge distance to most greens.  Phil is a swing tinkerer, as am I.  I don't see that changing for him.  Additionally, he's a great guy.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
6 hours ago, Big Lex said:

phillyk...I have read many of the posts in this thread and have really enjoyed following your journey. 

Are you still trying to improve your swing? 

If so, is it because you want to be on tour or have some specific achievement goal, or do you just want to get better? 

If you want to get better, do you believe that the mechanical flaws in your swing are preventing you from getting better? I'm sure that sounds stupid to ask, and maybe it's self-evident that if you fix a mechanical flaw, you will improve performance. But the fact that you are a high level golfer with a plus handicap suggests you have grooved these faults so to speak, and that the journey to a more mechanically sound swing would probably involve a long period where your performance gets worse, before it gets better. 

Is there any repeatable scenario where your flaws surface? In other words, are you a +3 (or whatever it is) on normal courses, but if you play tight courses or courses with alot of rough or something, does your performance get worse? Do you feel like you play worse when it's competition or a pressure situation, or are you better in those circumstances? 

One of the fascinating things in your thread is comparing the practice swings to the ones hitting the ball. Have you ever been able to hit a ball with the same, more "correct" motion you show in some of your practice swings? I do this as well, and I think many people do, and I am very interested in how a person overcomes this disconnect (although I expect it's no secret or mystery...just repetitions with proper feedback, trying and not giving up until you get it, etc.....)

I’m always looking to improve.  That journey won’t end.  A vision of mine is to play good enough through qualifiers to make it to a major, whether it is the PGA Championship or US Open.  Now a more direct goal would be to first make it through first stage qualifying.  I very well know the odds, but whatever.  At this point, the game is my life and career.  I may as well keep going and trying.  These days it’s hard because I teach a lot.  It’s hard to give proper attention to my own game while helping many others.

Regarding my swing and mechanics, I’m athletic, have good hand-eye coordination and understand how to keep a golf ball straight when needed.  So while my golf swing may not look mechanically great (yet), I can adapt well.  When I look at my performance on the course, no matter the venue, I play better when I have a specific and simple swing thought that I repeat EVERY swing.  Many times that I play, I don’t take proper time to warm up and find that thought.  I’m usually taking some old thought and trying to work it in that day.  Sometimes it works, others it doesn’t.  My recent pro-am, it didn’t work.  I didn’t warm up the full swing at all and it showed.  No consistent thoughts.  The US Open qualifier was different, plenty of preparation and warm-up, full swing was great, putter just didn’t want to drop anything for me.  I had good looks all day.

Pressure doesn’t bother me as much as it used to.  Probably because I’m used to performing in front of others.

Practice swings and real swings can be slightly different depending on what the practice is for.  Some people are trying to take real swings, others are trying to exaggerate a certain feel. My practice swings are usually done to exaggerate a feel.  

Regarding course set up (trees, bunkers, other hazards), none of it really bothers me because of how I approach my shot.  I have become better at canceling “noise.”  It’s me, the ball, and the target when I’m swinging.  When preparing, you can take in the surroundings and plan the shot around hazards.  But at the ball, all that has to go away.  Swing your swing.  I feel that I have become better at that more recently.  Like I said earlier, my biggest difference in performance comes from warm up and having a specific swing thought.

One last note.  Because of teaching having become a full time job, it has become harder to separate work from fun on the course.  Playing golf used to be my get away and relax. But now that I’m always around the game, it’s different.  My getaway is video games.  This isn’t saying I don’t have fun or love what I do.  I’m just saying that sometimes, I get tired and need a new escape.

As always, I will never stop trying to be a better golfer and coach.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing all that, phillyk. Good luck with your goals and your career both teaching and playing. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator

I think this is one of my better looking swings in a while despite intentionally going for a -10yd swing.  Hard to describe the feel, other than bringing the club flat, around, and 3/4 like.  Definitely getting full power and turn, despite the shorter-ish feel.  Irons/wedges have been solid, driver/3wood is a bit hooky but I’m getting there.  The problem is still wanting to shallow (via my habit) despite not needing to as much so I get really inside.  Haven’t managed to play more than 6 holes at a time since the end of June.  But today, I played 3 holes, had 2 birdies and a par.  Hope to play soon, and practice more.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • Moderator

From a couple days ago. Basically all I’m thinking about in my swing is stay square, in terms of my stance. Feeling good in my full swing. I bought the perfect putter training aid and it has made putting significantly better. I’m making a couple more putts and being much closer at the missed ones. 

I have my PGA section championship in 2 weeks. Just want to go out, have fun, and give it a go. Definitely happy that my putting has come around, next area of focus is pitching to tight pins. Just something I don’t feel I’m putting as tight as I should be.

Today, I shot my age! 31! Haha! Included this…

481375E8-8CDE-4D7B-A0A4-39200B846104.jpeg

#3 overall, my second this year and on the same hole! Only this time it was a 9 iron that I struck perfectly from 153yds playing up 10yds. Next hole is a par 5, that I hit 2 iron, 6iron to 3ft to tap in for eagle. I had 4 other birdie putts that I, literally, hit the edge of the cup. Shot -5, 31. So close to an absolutely killer 9. Really happy with the game today! Got to keep practicing and working. 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator

Well, that wasn’t nearly the start that I wanted.  Course is called Arrowhead Golf Club in Molalla, OR.  Not a long course (6700yds), but can be very tight off the tee.  Greens are running faster than anything I’ve played all year and I’m sure they could go 2ft faster if they wanted to.  I can’t say putting is only where I fell short, although I did have a 4 putt and a few 3 putts.  Full swing just wasn’t feeling good.  Missed right, which is odd as my miss has typically been left recently. Shot a +6, 77.

Drink of choice currently is a Manhattan ( sorry @Double Mocha Man no Mexican sports drink today, maybe that was my downfall).

I had a string of 3 birdies right around the turn which made my confidence feel better. The 2 iron is the best club in the bag right now.  I didn’t miss with it today.  It will likely be the off the tee choice tomorrow unless my warm-up goes well.  I just wanted my 3w and driver to work too.  3w was horrible, driver was 50/50.

Highlight of the day was the very last hole, of course. Hit 2iron off the tee.  My plan was 3w because the hole is 410yds, but it sucked today.  Tee shot is somewhat narrow with water about 75yds short of the green. I hit it perfect. Left me with 122yds to the pin, yeah big hit with a little roll (might’ve been some anger in the shot too).  Slightly skinnied my 52, but hit a couple feet short of the pin, hopped past, and backed into the hole 😁 Got me 1 of the 2 skins for the day. The other went to a pro that got a hole in one.  I almost feel bad for taking away from him.  He had a tab open at the bar for a while.  

Day 2/3 tomorrow.  Get then darned ball in play off the tee (so I can get a GIR), and make the stupid 3ft putts I missed today.  

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Well, that wasn’t nearly the start that I wanted.  Course is called Arrowhead Golf Club in Molalla, OR.  Not a long course (6700yds), but can be very tight off the tee.  Greens are running faster than anything I’ve played all year and I’m sure they could go 2ft faster if they wanted to.  I can’t say putting is only where I fell short, although I did have a 4 putt and a few 3 putts.  Full swing just wasn’t feeling good.  Missed right, which is odd as my miss has typically been left recently. Shot a +6, 77.

Drink of choice currently is a Manhattan ( sorry @Double Mocha Man no Mexican sports drink today, maybe that was my downfall).

I had a string of 3 birdies right around the turn which made my confidence feel better. The 2 iron is the best club in the bag right now.  I didn’t miss with it today.  It will likely be the off the tee choice tomorrow unless my warm-up goes well.  I just wanted my 3w and driver to work too.  3w was horrible, driver was 50/50.

Highlight of the day was the very last hole, of course. Hit 2iron off the tee.  My plan was 3w because the hole is 410yds, but it sucked today.  Tee shot is somewhat narrow with water about 75yds short of the green. I hit it perfect. Left me with 122yds to the pin, yeah big hit with a little roll (might’ve been some anger in the shot too).  Slightly skinnied my 52, but hit a couple feet short of the pin, hopped past, and backed into the hole 😁 Got me 1 of the 2 skins for the day. The other went to a pro that got a hole in one.  I almost feel bad for taking away from him.  He had a tab open at the bar for a while.  

Day 2/3 tomorrow.  Get then darned ball in play off the tee (so I can get a GIR), and make the stupid 3ft putts I missed today.  

Phil, you will nail it tomorrow!  As long as you are thinking of that margarita afterwards.  Go get 'em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Today went better.  Range session before the round went well.  Decided to go with a slightly stronger grip with the left hand.  Putting practice went well too. Just working to trust the speed, so I can work on the line more.  Can’t say that I fully trusted it today, but it still went better.

First hole is a par 5 that’s pretty wide open, the only hole really that you could go almost anywhere… and I tested that out well. Hit my driver about 60yds right of the fairway.  Managed to put 2iron just short of the green, in the bunker.  Hit to a couple feet for a birdie.  Managed to birdie the next 2 holes as well. After that drive and the previous days experiments, it was going to be 2iron the rest of the day.

The 4th hole is 450yds.  There is OB left and penalty area right.  Hit 2 iron down the middle, left me at 200yds in. The remaining par 5’s 10 and 18 (both around 500yds), I hit two 2 irons to be on or right next to the green.  Got birdies out of them.  Ended day with 6 birdies.  But, I missed a GIR on 4 holes, had one 3 putt, and thus 5 bogies.  Day was a -1, 70.  This leaves me right in the middle of the pack going into the final day tomorrow.

I want to try and get my driver working in the morning, but I may just end up doing 2iron again all day.  I know I can get birdies, I just have to try and reduce the mistakes.

  • Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; Certified in Athletic Development Model; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2
 
Team :srixon:!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • My wife is a non-golfer.  We are both pretty independent and have our own interests, and support both being able to do the things we enjoy as long as it doesn’t get out of whack.  When the kids were younger, it was definitely harder to get out more than once a week.  Now that they’re starting to do their own thing, I get out twice a week (sometimes three).  I have a feeling I’ll be able to get in a lot of golf and mountain biking once we’re empty nesters.  All I can really suggest is try to support what she likes (which it sounds like you do), while helping her understand the thing(s) that you get joy out of and ask to receive support from her on that.
    • Day 25: Today I played a simulated round. The warm up was focused on my transition move, trying to shallow the club and have it not get more deep and behind me. I decided to “play” the round and commit to swinging that way even if I missed the ball. The goal was to work on the move even during a round, even though I know it wasn’t a real round. The scoring was terrible as I had alot of difficulty hitting the ball solid. Path was too much in to out but face angle was less shut to path than usual. 
    • Yeah, that's not really how you're supposed to do it. Put a ball down, putt it to a hole, then put another ball down somewhere else, almost kinda random, putt to a different hole… etc. You don't get a bunch of 12-footers in a row on the course.
    • Day 166.  Another dozen, same as the past few days. This has been a long week at work, and I'm glad for this challenge because without it I might make an excuse to not hit any balls, and I'm still glad I did the normal practices.  I acknowledge I'm not varying it very much the past week.
    • Thank you @iacas really appreciate the response. 
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Baller
      Baller
      (60 years old)
    2. billchao
      billchao
      (37 years old)
    3. Ebelinga
      Ebelinga
      (49 years old)
    4. FEKIH Kamel
      FEKIH Kamel
      (56 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...