IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)

phillyk

• Administrator

Definitely better and different than at the 2017 Newport Cup. Good work. This amount of change is hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With how things have changed, it definitely takes a bit of time/warm up to get through the list. Did a combo of speed stuff and swing stuff today. 

I was thinking about the backswing and trying to turn up more with a straighter right leg as well as an earlier hinge. In speed stuff, I swung out of my mind with the green weight speed stick. Got a couple swings in the 140s with a high of 144mph. First time I really felt more speed without trying so hard in the arms but still got off balance. It felt really good. Transfer to driver went well, got a 136mph swing and almost all in 130s.

Regular swing stuff, I just thought earlier hinge and release. I think I get lost in the arms when I hinge “late.” 

C52F81C2-A2C8-48F2-94F1-86286E0BCF57.jpeg

Small upgrade to the school today. There’s snow on the ground so had to bring in the heat. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• 1 month later...

Working more on that right elbow in the BS to further deepen my hands. In this video you see me look up a lot when I pause. There is a big mirror that I’m looking at to make sure my right elbow is peaking below my left arm at A3. No actual swings here. Just wanted to show what I’m working on. 

In addition to right arm, I’m making sure my wrists don’t get too active around impact, I’m standing slightly further away from the ball, and I’m still checking my spine angle in set up. I still tend to lean towards target in set up which is annoying. 

I’m hitting the ball very solid. A few get away from me when I lose focus. But I like what I see.

Putting has also gotten much better. I got a putting arc mat and laser over the holidays. I also realized my lower body wasn’t neutral at set up. I leaned away. So I neutralized my set up and worked on my arc. I can definitely see an improvement on starting the ball on the exact line I intend to. Just need to work now on speed control for the longer ones.

Hopefully this year goes takes off!

• Thumbs Up 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

I forgot to add to my last post, I let @Double Mocha Manbeat me on one hole today.  Don’t want to beat up on him too much. 

• Funny 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Yes, but Phil shot 3 under.  I shot 3 over.  Though I outdrove the poor guy most of the day.  😉

You would have had you used your driver on those par 3s 😉

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 4 weeks later...

807A43B2-B3CF-419F-9E08-50704A3F610B.jpeg

DBB93CA6-D761-4853-88F0-953F1A8E65E6.jpegDB803CB0-99F0-4743-AE92-771084E87DDD.jpeg605A114A-69AD-492A-8095-C86D5C2085F6.jpeg

Kapalua has some insane views. Golf course was fun. Used rental clubs, so scoring was a bit off. If there was ever a course where everything breaks towards the ocean, this is it. Full swing is solid, short game better, putting is getting there. A ton of fun today. Good group. Wishing I had the money to get a home out here though haha!

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

One question I have from my round and comparing to the Tournament of Champions, is how do those guys have more than an iron into #18? I played tipped out (many tee boxes as far back as possible, some 1 up from the PGA Tours tees, 18 was 30yds up) and I had a 5iron to the middle of the green. I had rental clubs too. My own driver would’ve likely gotten further down. Wind could certainly make a difference but still, it seems odd. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, phillyk said:

One question I have from my round and comparing to the Tournament of Champions, is how do those guys have more than an iron into #18? I played tipped out (many tee boxes as far back as possible, some 1 up from the PGA Tours tees, 18 was 30yds up) and I had a 5iron to the middle of the green. I had rental clubs too. My own driver would’ve likely gotten further down. Wind could certainly make a difference but still, it seems odd. 

In Hawaii?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

In Hawaii?

Yes. Kapalua Plantation Course. The wind would mostly blow right to left so even with a stronger blow, it seems odd. Idk. I missed left in 2 there today, side hill of bunker, no idea how it didn’t fall in bunker. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Yes. Kapalua Plantation Course. The wind would mostly blow right to left so even with a stronger blow, it seems odd. Idk. I missed left in 2 there today, side hill of bunker, no idea how it didn’t fall in bunker. 

I mean, Bubba hit driver, driver there, so… yeah, suffice to say, when you played it, something was different if you hit a 5I.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I like this. 2 swing thoughts/feels: retain triangle in backswing to keep it wide and turn my right foot “in” as in towards target. It restricts my hip turn a bit but I feel that it keeps it more in check. More importantly, it gets my right knee to move towards the target instead of bending towards the ball into a squat. I stay in balance and I feel everything just fly dead straight.

Short game is getting better, just need to feel comfortable over ball. Putting needs to stay “aggressive” inside 20ft. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Man I really think that is the best looking swing I’ve ever made. I’ve been doing so many slow motion and drill like swings today. It’s feeling solid. Even miss-hits are going better. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 4 weeks later...

Initially turning that foot in helped. But now my body is used to it and I’m back to squatting, EE’ing, leaning, etc. So, I’m working to get rid of the squat by throwing my hips “left” in transition (instead left and down) and have my left foot less outward pointing. The foot position is helping to prevent the late lean and extend my left leg sooner. The initial lean helps get my knees moving left instead of squatting out. 

13B8F77A-31DA-4606-9AD1-82E9E713E1CF.png

E705B251-760F-47A1-AAC4-3D1058A59D3E.png

It’s small but you can see the bottom picture has less squat and more body turn. It’s not quite where I’d like to see it, but it’s a start.  I really need to grind into my swing’s bad habits. I’m really annoyed at my inconsistency. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Getting there, irons and wedges are starting to feel solid. 3w and driver need work. Going to really grind on them and exaggerate this lower body feel. 

Western WA has been so miserable this spring. Really nice to get some sunshine and practice!

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator

Ball position is pretty far back there, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I think this was a 9iron. Focusing still on getting right knee to move toward target from a4 vs out then towards. I realized that I need “shorter” swings to feel it better, which is good. It feels quicker tempo and shorter but better turn. Distance is same, just looking for that consistency. Driver with this tempo will be tough. Feeling confident though. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 4 weeks later...

I like that I’m not as far past my left foot in the swing. 

It’s close. My grip had been getting weak so I adjusted that but I started hooking. I had always played with a slightly open stance. Once closing it so that I parallel to my target, I started getting push draws that seemed much more in control. I also have to focus on maintaining my position at A2

1969B71F-CFE8-40AB-8257-D15A72047FE1.png

Couldn’t get the video on here for whatever reason. Here’s a screenshot of impact with my driver. The feeling to get here is like my left leg is not going up but like backwards extending, IDK. I like this screenshot though. Game is getting there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA