IGNORED

My Swing (phillyk)

phillyk

On 10/26/2014 at 10:17 PM, phillyk said:

A little too much head movement on the down swing.  Otherwise this looked all right to me.
This was taken during my lesson on the 24th.  We are working on getting my weight more forward at impact.  I think it worked well here.

im not a fan of when the left leg bends like that 😛 if ur going to bend it i should go foward not to the right 🙂 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Vikthuuu said:

im not a fan of when the left leg bends like that 😛 if ur going to bend it i should go foward not to the right 🙂 

That video is also from 2014.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I got a putter last year as a back up because the my older one was, well, old and rusting too much.  Then this year I got the new Cleveland Elevado and played with that this year, but unfortunately the insert behind the face, I think, made my feel on distance off.  I left everything short, no matter what. Or when I tried to compensate, I blasted it by.  So I switched to the back up which is an O-works Odyssey.  It has the same look and feel as my old putter but the set up is slightly different.

Yesterday I played 9 holes at my course from the tips.  I kept up with the same tee to green play I've been having the last several weeks, but with the putter switch, I MADE PUTTS! Gosh it felt good. Seriously, its been a problem for far too long.  I hope it's not a one off, and I don't think it will be.  I finished with 4 birdies and 1 bogey, probably the best 9 holes I've had this year.  Took me long enough to have a decent set of holes this year.  I have a couple of events left this year, so hopefully I can build this momentum more and keep it going.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On 9/14/2019 at 9:55 PM, phillyk said:

I got a putter last year as a back up because the my older one was, well, old and rusting too much.  Then this year I got the new Cleveland Elevado and played with that this year, but unfortunately the insert behind the face, I think, made my feel on distance off.  I left everything short, no matter what. Or when I tried to compensate, I blasted it by.  So I switched to the back up which is an O-works Odyssey.  It has the same look and feel as my old putter but the set up is slightly different.

Yesterday I played 9 holes at my course from the tips.  I kept up with the same tee to green play I've been having the last several weeks, but with the putter switch, I MADE PUTTS! Gosh it felt good. Seriously, its been a problem for far too long.  I hope it's not a one off, and I don't think it will be.  I finished with 4 birdies and 1 bogey, probably the best 9 holes I've had this year.  Took me long enough to have a decent set of holes this year.  I have a couple of events left this year, so hopefully I can build this momentum more and keep it going.

Nice! That sounded like a fun 9 holes. I made a putter swap this year and it made a world of difference for me. Almost makes me think I should go get a putter fitting...

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I hit some range balls this afternoon and man I hit the ball great. Based on the pure shot count thread, I hit 70% pure of like 50 balls. The others were really close too. Really liking the swing right now. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Ok, played a round today. Absolutely on fire... I would honestly say that 50% of my full swing shots today were pure. I also continued my streak of making putts.  I ended with 7 birdies, 1 eagle and 1 bogey to tie my all time low round of 64.  Although this one really felt like my best round ever. My bogey was from a slip, got careless for a minute and lost a ball into a penalty area.  Approach shots were definitely the highlight, leaving shorter putts for birdies.  Such a fun day.  I need to do this in a tournament round though, to really make it mean something more.

Edited by phillyk
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 4 weeks later...

Played a round yesterday at the local CC.  Hit ball reasonably off the tee. Having started to use the Super Speed sticks, I've remembered how to create power again.  So, driver was definitely coming off hotter and going a little further. The course itself is rather short, so I had a lot of partial wedges into greens and that shot is sort of in limbo right now.  I'm trying to use more bounce and less leading edge, so the ball is coming out higher and softer but shorter.  I haven't quite adjusted on distance control yet, so I wasn't hitting those approach shots as close as I wanted to.  A few missed greens in there too which was frustrating.  Putting was decent.  Overall, game seemed mediocre, ended up at -1, 70.  Three birdies, two bogeys.

Regarding the super speed sticks, I had been so focused recently on my hip turn through impact that I was "holding off" with the hands around impact.  So, all I did was still focus on the turn but then feel the hands throwing the clubhead just a little bit.  Seemed to work reasonably.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 4 weeks later...

Haven’t really taken a video in a while. Decided to record one while work is slow. 

The swing has been feeling pretty good of late. Main swing thought is getting hands and hips through earlier before impact. It’s not quite there yet but it’s definitely better. Secondary thoughts are rotating earlier in the backswing and following through towards target and “up”. 

Short game had been getting much better. Recent scores have all hovered at or below par. Putting is biggest factor. Some days I sink a few while other days I miss everything. Proximity to the hole is a factor, sure but some days I feel like my read is always below the hole. 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator

You have to shallow (the arms) from 4 because you're so "up" at 3.5-4, which then stalls the pivot a bit. I'd love to see the arms a bit shallower/deeper at 4, so you could likely have the feeling of the arms coming down as you pivot as hard as you want from 4-7, 8. You'll note how almost "square" you are at impact here, with the shoulders almost still pointing to the right slightly.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

You have to shallow (the arms) from 4 because you're so "up" at 3.5-4, which then stalls the pivot a bit. I'd love to see the arms a bit shallower/deeper at 4, so you could likely have the feeling of the arms coming down as you pivot as hard as you want from 4-7, 8. You'll note how almost "square" you are at impact here, with the shoulders almost still pointing to the right slightly.

I’ll work on getting a good feel/thought to get better at 4 this winter. Been focusing on hips so much, forgot to check shoulders alignment. I watch for that. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Ok, not quite shallow enough yet I think.  I adjusted my stance a bit. I was more open, now I'm squaring it up.  I was open before because I felt that it helped with lower body movement but it probably also made it hard to get shallow at 4.  With the stance, I am also trying to throw my hands "flat" with the earlier start on the hips.  We'll see how it goes.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• 2 weeks later...

Hit a few balls this morning on our Mevo. Swing speed is up a little bit which is nice.  Trying to shallow has a feeling of wanting to bow the left wrist at A4.  From video, my hands are still above the balls of my feet from DTL, so still not quite where I want them; and my hips at impact aren't rotated enough. Although, around impact, when I have a feeling of really getting my hands ahead, the distance went up and the strikes felt really good. We'll keep working.

Philip Kohnken, PGA

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator

Why not work and practice at a slower pace? Because it's really not all that different:

01.jpg02.jpg

On 11/17/2019 at 5:09 PM, phillyk said:

Ok, not quite shallow enough yet I think.  I adjusted my stance a bit. I was more open, now I'm squaring it up.  I was open before because I felt that it helped with lower body movement but it probably also made it hard to get shallow at 4.  With the stance, I am also trying to throw my hands "flat" with the earlier start on the hips.  We'll see how it goes.

Funky right foot but looks like you get around the course just fine.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Why not work and practice at a slower pace? Because it's really not all that different:

It’s different than 2 weeks ago. Slow practice swings have actually looked good but when I try full speed with the same feel, it goes back up. Shortening my swing will help which is another move that will be tough. Hard for me to find more than 5min at a time to practice, I know it will be slow going. 

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

Funky right foot but looks like you get around the course just fine.

At the end of the swing? Yeah not sure how that started.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA

• Administrator
1 hour ago, phillyk said:

It’s different than 2 weeks ago.

Barely. I mean, I'm just comparing the two videos, and I can't know what you're seeing in slow motion stuff as you've not shown that.

Played a small event yesterday. I had no idea how the day would go because of trying to flatten my swing A3-A4. I have 3 feels/thoughts that I've been using: hands ahead at start and impact, bring hands across chest/below right ear, and think 3/4 backswing.  The 3/4 backswing is trying to shorten the swing. At least according to mevo, the overall distance has not been affected by this.  The hands across chest/below right ear is the flattening aspect, which I'm not sure how well I succeeded yesterday.  The hands ahead helps with consistent ball flight.  I had a few shots early on get away from me because of not doing this properly.

Ended up shooting even par, 72.  Driver was better on the 2nd 9, and irons were generally good. Wedges were probably the best part of my game, which is odd considering my year.  But that is the point of my practice. Making those partial shots, including wedges, better. I had 12 GIR; the 6 I missed I scrambled 50%, so I had 3 birdies too.  No 3 putts which is nice.  2 of the bogeys came from hitting the drive into the trees, and the other came on the short par 5 18th, when I dunked one in the water near the green.  I think I tried to baby it in there, aka I got cocky.  Putting was ok, I made everything inside 8ft, but outside of that, I was burning edges.  Couldn't read the greens well, tbh.  When I played more break, it didn't, and of course when I tried to then play less break, it broke more. Oh well.

Regarding the full swing, I am pleased. Distance was up across all clubs, ball flight pattern was mostly consistent, a 5yd draw, and while I don't know how flat I really was, it definitely feels that way.  I'll check today and keep working.  The round felt average, really, and to have a decent score makes me feel good about where this is going.

Philip Kohnken, PGA