My Swing (phillyk)

280 posts / 46634 viewsLast Reply

21 hours ago, phillyk said:

3 putted my last hole too

You are in good company 😛. Take it as a good omen

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Mr22putt said:

Nice shooting.

How are the greens now?....what's the stimp?

Why would the pros have a net event?....pros have a cap?

$100 is really cheap to play in an event like this.

Hope you didn't play behind the woman that shot 140...WTF.

What happened on 18 at Lake Padden for you when you played in a similar event at the end of August?...it's fairly benign hole...penalty strokes adding up that you were unaware at the time?

Lake Padden pro am was in the middle of my funk and I gave up on 18. It was a rough day. 

Chambers Bay greens, now that they’re poa, acted like poa. We played in afternoon/evening so footprints were everywhere and it was a little bumpy. Mornings, I’d bet they’d be pure. Stimp around 10. 

Yes, pros can have a handicap. I’m not sure how many of them keep it legitimately. As in only tournament scores get posted, auto from golf genius. The net is nice to have but most try for gross. Just a way to pay out more people. 

The events range from $60-$100, depending on the type of course. So high end public and private are $100 and on down to muni’s for $60. 

13 hours ago, phillyk said:

Chambers Bay greens, now that they’re poa, acted like poa. We played in afternoon/evening so footprints were everywhere and it was a little bumpy. Mornings, I’d bet they’d be pure. Stimp around 10. 

The events range from $60-$100, depending on the type of course. So high end public and private are $100 and on down to muni’s for $60. 

So will the fescue start to invade the poa greens which CB will have to guard against?

I went to the Tues practice rd at CB for the 2015 USO....it's a somewhat difficult walk...but no harder a walk than Lake Padden....I always want to walk....CB is a YUGE piece of property.

$60-$100 is so CHEAP to play in these events.....assuming I could cross the border ....which I can't...could I play in this event and pay only $100?.....as a non-resident....if I showed up to CB it would cost me $190 in Oct.

30 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

So will the fescue start to invade the poa greens which CB will have to guard against?

I went to the Tues practice rd at CB for the 2015 USO....it's a somewhat difficult walk...but no harder a walk than Lake Padden....I always want to walk....CB is a YUGE piece of property.

$60-$100 is so CHEAP to play in these events.....assuming I could cross the border ....which I can't...could I play in this event and pay only $100?.....as a non-resident....if I showed up to CB it would cost me $190 in Oct.

The amateurs I bring could be from anywhere and it's the same price.  Chambers Bay pro am and the high end clubs fill up very fast when we are filling out our sign up allocations.  It's definitely a great price!

My legs were sore yesterday. I don't walk when I play as much as I should.

The reason for the switch to poa was because the poa will invade and take over any grass here in Western WA unless you have the money and time to spray particularly against it or pick the grass out.  This was the cause for concern at the US Open.  The greens were mostly fescue with many patches of poa growing, which causes the ball to bump around.  Eventually, except for the dune grass, the fairways will be taken over by poa as well.  They planted the poa greens a year ago to just get those over with. EDIT: to add, fescue grass is one of a few grass types that can be taken over very easily because of it's low density growth

Edited by phillyk

48 minutes ago, phillyk said:

The amateurs I bring could be from anywhere and it's the same price.  Chambers Bay pro am and the high end clubs fill up very fast when we are filling out our sign up allocations.  It's definitely a great price!

The reason for the switch to poa was because the poa will invade and take over any grass here in Western WA unless you have the money and time to spray particularly against it or pick the grass out.  This was the cause for concern at the US Open.  The greens were mostly fescue with many patches of poa growing, which causes the ball to bump around.  Eventually, except for the dune grass, the fairways will be taken over by poa as well.  They planted the poa greens a year ago to just get those over with. EDIT: to add, fescue grass is one of a few grass types that can be taken over very easily because of it's low density growth

Ya...that's a crazy great price to play at CB and other privates. I think I read teams were built up by the pros....so why would a pro invite an Am(s) who have high caps that could likely slow down play?....makes no sense to me....as I said....could you imagine playing behind the gal that shot 140.....tournament play is slow enough...never mind Am's who shoot in the 100's.

Ya....poa is basically a weed that invades everywhere.....so I was wondering how they were coming along in the poa green replacement at CB.

54 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Ya...that's a crazy great price to play at CB and other privates. I think I read teams were built up by the pros....so why would a pro invite an Am(s) who have high caps that could likely slow down play?....makes no sense to me....as I said....could you imagine playing behind the gal that shot 140.....tournament play is slow enough...never mind Am's who shoot in the 100's.

Ya....poa is basically a weed that invades everywhere.....so I was wondering how they were coming along in the poa green replacement at CB.

All greens were replaced just over a year ago. 

The invitation of am's can be different based on where a pro works.  Some pros have contracts with their course that commits them to playing with members that sign up.  Another reason for higher handicaps is the team game, which is either 1G/1N or 2N, so having a high handicap do well on one or two holes can make a big difference in the team game.  I don't have a commitment with my course and the max handicap I have brought is 20.  It can be tough, but I keep them moving as I can.  Last year, there were rules in place to keep pace, but because of COVID, those rules are mostly ignored this season. The pace for CB was 5.25hrs. 

8 hours ago, phillyk said:

The pace for CB was 5.25hrs. 

Ouch....I've played in double shotgun charity/corporate scrambles in 5.5 hours with really lousy golfers....and it's not as if players at CB are spending a lot of time in the trees/woods looking for lost balls.

I guess for $100 I'd put up with slow play.

I had a crazy round today. Both great and terrible. 7 birdies, 5 pars, 4 bogies, a double and a triple... yeah... 7 birdies and I couldn’t break par... short game wasn’t good. The double and triple came from toe hooks with the driver. Honestly got scared at the tee and tried and failed to swing easy. 

I play another round tomorrow at a track I like and typically do well at. Just want to play smart and make more putts. 

My round yesterday should've been good, but the greens crapped out on me at the end. I was at -3 going into 17 and 18.  17 par 3, I put my 8 iron to 3ft, missed as it took a left hand turn off of an aeration hole that hadn't recovered. Greens were aerified 3 weeks ago at this course, and the greens had been ok most of the day. But poa being poa, things get bumpy at the end of the day as footprints show and stay and growth occurs in different areas.  18, par 5, I was just off the edge of the green in 2. Chip was not the greatest, but had 10ft.  Ball bounced right and missed, then my 2ft par putt hit another bump and missed.  So, a disappointing finish of -2, but I feel good about the way that I hit the ball and putted. Just going to keep working.

Been working on impact to follow through feel. I know I “turn over” too much, so as per the video I’m not necessarily trying to hold off, more of get hands left of clubhead or something. It gets my chest left of target at impact and increases hip turn. Ball flight is very straight even though it feels like it should be a fade. I’m also standing slightly further from the ball, seems like impact becomes shallower which I like. 

Played a few holes (to practice) before it started raining harder than I’m comfortable with without appropriate clothing. Driver, surprisingly, went very straight.

Putting again though has been an issue lately. But I noticed my clubface, for some reason, has become closed compared to the grip. I tend to pull everything so it makes sense. But it annoys me that I didn’t notice earlier. I will switch to my old putter until I regrip it.