IGNORED

This guy is truly dedicated to golf

srjorion
Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was cleaning out pictures on my phone when I came across this one I had forgotten about.  It's from a couple of years ago at a driving range.  I happened to turn around and notice this guy on the practice green.  Hard to see, but behind him is one of those poles with wheels with an IV bag attached.  He was practicing away, dragging the pole with him when he moved!  I did walk over and let him know how awesome I thought it was.

What's your excuse for not practicing your putting?

In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is funny!! I live in Phx, Az some times on 108 degree days, I am the only one on the range ... And I am hitting a "jumbo" bucket!

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I live in Phoenix also.  When I go to the range this time of year, it's at after dark (lighted range).  I've played gold at 117 degrees though.

I don't know why more of us don't spend more time on the 100 Yards in game than we do.  If you keep stats keep one for strokes taken from inside 100 yards in.  I'll be if your handicap is two digits it is over 70% of the strokes for over 90% of the double digit handicap golfers.  I too live in Phoenix and have played in 113 degrees a couple of times when I was younger.  I don't recommend it.  What I do recommend for practice or play during the Phoenix Summer is be on the course at the crack of dawn with a bucket of water and be off the course not later than 10:30 AM.

:tumble:

Butch

• Administrator
I don't know why more of us don't spend more time on the 100 Yards in game than we do.  If you keep stats keep one for strokes taken from inside 100 yards in.  I'll be if your handicap is two digits it is over 70% of the strokes for over 90% of the double digit handicap golfers.  I too live in Phoenix and have played in 113 degrees a couple of times when I was younger.  I don't recommend it.  What I do recommend for practice or play during the Phoenix Summer is be on the course at the crack of dawn with a bucket of water and be off the course not later than 10:30 AM.

Because not many shots are lost from 100 yards and in. PGA Tour players are not as good as people think inside of 100 yards, and average golfers are not as bad as they think. Golfers of all ability levels lose more strokes outside of 100 yards than inside.

The average PGA Tour player has nine tap-ins per round. That's 12.5% of their strokes. Should they spend 12.5% of their practice time working on tap-ins? No. There's no Separation Value there.

Please seriously consider buying this book (I'll get it in the mail today if you buy it in the next three hours): http://lowestscorewins.com/ . There are at least ten things in there worth the cost.

More on spending time inside of 100 yards is found here:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Because not many shots are lost from 100 yards and in. PGA Tour players are not as good as people think inside of 100 yards, and average golfers are not as bad as they think. Golfers of all ability levels lose more strokes outside of 100 yards than inside.

The average PGA Tour player has nine tap-ins per round. That's 12.5% of their strokes. Should they spend 12.5% of their practice time working on tap-ins? No. There's no Separation Value there.

Please seriously consider buying this book (I'll get it in the mail today if you buy it in the next three hours): http://lowestscorewins.com/ . There are at least ten things in there worth the cost.

More on spending time inside of 100 yards is found here:

I don't doubt that my scores would improve more by having Adam Scott hit my tee balls rather than 50 yard pitches, but I am wondering how much your book looks at achievability?

i.e. Let's say you have an amateur who averages 230 yards off the tee hitting 2 of 3 fairways while averaging 3 shots to get down on relatively straight forward chips within 15 feet of the green.  While being able to drive like Adam Scott might lower his score more than being able to chip like Adam Scott, don't you think it will be easier to improve his chipping rather than his driving?

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I don't doubt that my scores would improve more by having Adam Scott hit my tee balls rather than 50 yard pitches, but I am wondering how much your book looks at achievability?   i.e. Let's say you have an amateur who averages 230 yards off the tee hitting 2 of 3 fairways while averaging 3 shots to get down on relatively straight forward chips within 15 feet of the green.  While being able to drive like Adam Scott might lower his score more than being able to chip like Adam Scott, don't you think it will be easier to improve his chipping rather than his driving?

The book goes into that, discussing things like that mostly in the tournament preparation section as well as describing the process of breaking down each type of shot into separation value, how good you can get, and what other skills that skill can translate to etc.

• Administrator

I don't doubt that my scores would improve more by having Adam Scott hit my tee balls rather than 50 yard pitches, but I am wondering how much your book looks at achievability?

i.e. Let's say you have an amateur who averages 230 yards off the tee hitting 2 of 3 fairways while averaging 3 shots to get down on relatively straight forward chips within 15 feet of the green.  While being able to drive like Adam Scott might lower his score more than being able to chip like Adam Scott, don't you think it will be easier to improve his chipping rather than his driving?

Discussed many times in other threads. And in the book. Kind of off topic for this thread.

Brief answer for two reasons: I've gotta keep checking the smoker, and it's OT.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That pic is awesome! I was on the green with a guy that had one leg. He drove a special cart built for him right onto the green! I'm working on my driver and putting. That's where I spend my strokes.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

That photo reminds of those Chinese students studying for college entrance exams on IV drips (crazy, yeah, I think that was a one off thing.)

I'd much rather be on a putting green than a library, ha ha.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!