IGNORED

Should I be sorry?

Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, I am new to Sandtrap, don't want to whine right at the beginning and don't want to ask silly questions, but I am new to golf, have been practicing for half a year or so, so please don't expect a lot of intelligent questions.

I postponed buying a driver for  a long time for many different reasons. Two weeks ago I was ready to buy a very basic, cheap Dunlop to start with, but I came across a Cleveland demo day at this driving range and this guy encouraged me to try Cleveland Altitude. It was my first day ever with a driver so  I expected lots of mishits and shanks. Instead I was stunned how super light and friendly the thing felt in my hands and had a couple of fades with it. The guy said it is a good driver for my skills and I fell in love with it. Completely, I ordered exactly the version the the demo guy recommended. We tried different lofts and I ended up with 12 as the ideal for me. I was looking forward to it like crazy, willing to practice it hard regularly and work on my swing.

To make a long story short, there were "problems" with my order, first they said it would take several days, later they texted me that the 12 loft is not available and that I can only get 10.5. I sighed and accepted. Only to find a completely different driver ready for me at the shop. It was not Cleveland Altitude but Custom 588. I thought that maybe it was just a better version of Altitude with some setting possible, so after some hesitation I accepted. At the range, this driver felt horrible. I wasn't able to hit a decent ball with it. I was angry and thought I should have rejected this business with changing my order this much.

Later at home I googled all possible information and reviews about the Custom 588, most of it is all excellent reviews. But obviously, this driver is not ideal for a complete beginner and is a bit more difficult to swing properly. The superlight, higher lofted Altitude probably helped me feel relaxed with it so I swung it more naturally, which led to some nice shots.

Now I am puzzled. Did I make a mistake, should i have rejected the Custom 588 right at the beginning? Or should I accept the mistake as a challenge and try hard and hard to improve my swing until it matches the driver? Custom 588 is a game-improvement driver, so it should be OK, but after experiencing the super light and super friendly Altitude, I am not sure what I should have done. I expeced the Custom 588 would be a bit a bit harder for me, but not this much harder. I hope it is just my mindset now that causes the problems.

Call Cleveland Customer Service with this Story -- sounds like everyone but the guy that fit you, screwed you.

They should get the driver for which you were fit ... even if it takes a couple of weeks.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Call Cleveland Customer Service with this Story -- sounds like everyone but the guy that fit you, screwed you. They should get the driver for which you were fit ... even if it takes a couple of weeks.

Agree, 100%. Do not accept something other than what you need/want.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not a chance I would take a driver that was not what I ordered with the hope that maybe some day it's right for me.

Thank you, guys, for your reactions. Not very optimistic for me, but true, why would one accept something like that. I always spend at least a week checking all kinds of information about a product I am going to buy before I order it.  This time, I was a bit impatient, and definitely not prepared to react immediately. I was going to reject the club if the information about it on the Cleveland website seems like the club is not for me at all. But the dilemma was, OK, I wanted a super forgiving, super light, a very special club that I was introduced to. Now I was there with a bit more advanced driver. But still good for beginners in general - so I thought I would keep it. Now the question is - are these two drivers really so different or did I just have a bad day. A friend who plays golf very well thinks that in my case, with my skills, I should drive whatever, some cheap junk,  anything, before I learn the basics of swing. But I know he is a bit too extreme. I just can't get it why the person who was supposed to order a certain club had so many problems with ordering it until at the end she ordered something different...

Also, being puzzled at the range what to do with this new driver, I asked a teacher who was passing by, asked him what he thought about the club and the situation and he tried the driver, said it was definitely OK for beginners and if I don't like it, I should return it. Also, fitting on the level of the demo day was more like hey, here's a driver, try it, oh, you like it, it seems it suits you perfectly, buy it. There wasn't much choice, just two different lofts.

Yup! You never received what you paid for, and they wasted your time and money! Definitely go back to the shop or phone customer services! Explain it exactly as you have to us, and then give them the option of either a) return driver for full refund, or b) return driver and receive another custom fitting session + new driver at no extra cost!

Gaz Lee

I would retire it and get what you felt comfortable with. Not your fault the product was unavailable.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Not much of a "fitting" but at least you found something you had some confidence in, so you should get what you ordered. There really is no "beginner's driver" or "more advanced driver". Both beginners and advanced players come in every shape and size with different swing speeds with different swing mechanics. You could make some general assumptions as to what most beginners might need but they wouldn't be universal. About the only thing that most beginners (and some of us that aren't really beginners) have in common is that we usually don't know where the ball is going when we hit it. ;-) Having a driver we don't have confidence in is strike one against us before we start. So it's not whether you need a beginner's driver. Just which driver works best for you.

Not sure if I have still the option to return it after hitting 150 balls with it. But only after hitting 150 balls with it I can see it is definitely very different experience from the driver at the demo day. Now the thing that makes me scratch my head is what made the experience with the first driver so better? Was it because I felt cool, had no opinions, it was my first day with a dviver ever, and today I felt nervous, expected the driver to give me the same nice results? The chances are I will play much better when I get over my worries with this driver, I will relax again, and whenever I relax, as you all probably know from your experience, I play much better. Well, I still have the receipt, I played 150 balls, and without them I would not know how it worked. So maybe I should contact the person who made the changes and ask for a refund or something.

I often used a 3 fairway from the tee because of the difficulty I had with my driver.  When I got a 12 degree, senior shaft Ping G20, I was able to hit the ball with a slight draw about 225-235 yards.

I tried a 10.5 degree Mizuno MP650 with a stiff shaft. I could not control it at all.  It took 3-4 months before I was able to hit the Mizuno as well as the Ping.  Now my carry yardage with the Mizuno is about 240 and with the draw I get good roll.

The biggest difference for me was the loft.

Stay with the custom 588 from the range and work it into your game.

Call Cleveland Customer Service with this Story -- sounds like everyone but the guy that fit you, screwed you.

They should get the driver for which you were fit ... even if it takes a couple of weeks.

I think this ^^^^^ is your best option now. Nobody wants their name dragged through the mud. be polite and give the rep the story as it exactly happened, but be confident. If he/she says there's nada they can do, ask to speak to a manager, or the person in charge. It won't cost Cleveland much to get you the driver you want and they end up with a sorta satisfied customer. It's worth a try.

Good Luck, oh, and welcome to TST..

I think this ^^^^^ is your best option now. Nobody wants their name dragged through the mud. be polite and give the rep the story as it exactly happened, but be confident. If he/she says there's nada they can do, ask to speak to a manager, or the person in charge. It won't cost Cleveland much to get you the driver you want and they end up with a sorta satisfied customer. It's worth a try.

Good Luck, oh, and welcome to TST..

You mean tell the Cleveland in the US what happened to me and hope they will send me a brand new golf club? And by the person or manager in charge, you mean from the shop I bought the wrong club? I was going to text her that after today testing I realized the club is completely different from the one I ordered and want my money back or the driver I ordered. If she refuses to do anything I would sell the club through some used golf club webpage and get a new one from ebay or something for the money. There are all kinds of prices for this club and countries vary, so I could still end up even.

Ryunin, if you're willing to, give the place you tested the club at a chance to make things right. If you're not, contact Cleveland and give their customer service a chance to make it right. You asked for a specific club and got something entirely different in return. There should be a number on the shipping invoice that your club shipped with to contact Cleveland... Explain to the voice on the phone the problem and let them know that you ordered one club but got something different... If they cannot or will not try to help you, then ask to speak to their supervisor and explain to them what happened. Barring all that and if Cleveland does not help you, trade the club in somewhere... Golfsmith and Golf galaxy take clubs in trade (I think) and you should get credit to use on a different club... Or there are several web sites that will let you send in your club and they will appraise it and give you credit in their store or cash outright... Then you can get the club you want. But give Cleveland a chance to fix the problem.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

You mean tell the Cleveland in the US what happened to me and hope they will send me a brand new golf club? And by the person or manager in charge, you mean from the shop I bought the wrong club? I was going to text her that after today testing I realized the club is completely different from the one I ordered and want my money back or the driver I ordered. If she refuses to do anything I would sell the club through some used golf club webpage and get a new one from ebay or something for the money. There are all kinds of prices for this club and countries vary, so I could still end up even.

Yes, call Cleveland US, customer service. Tell them what happened. Tell them you'd like to have the driver that you chose originally, ect, ect.

Buying a different driver would defeat the entire purpose of being fit for one. I would not accept anything but the club I was fit for. If they can't deliver, I would go to another brand.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I really appreciate all your caring advice. Yesterday I was going to talk to the person who made this strange business with me and ask her to do something about it. But there are two things that I had to consider or two things I realized later. First, it was not a real fitting, rather here's a beginner with a beginner's swing, with a very slow swing, a guy whose body is hardly athletic, he could like this superlight Altitude, and of course, it will be easier for him to do the 12 degree loft. There was no fitting, just he picked regular flex shaft and 10.5 and 12 degree loft. Then this woman shows up from  the local pro shop and says, I can make a good price for you. I think all beginners like me would like this Altitude driver with that 12 degree loft. I think it would be fun to play this driver. So I think it is for everyone who begins to play golf and is not likely to progress very quickly. So I think I liked it because it is a super light, super forgiving driver. Who wouldn't. The problem with the order, it was not a real order, rather a talk and a few text messages. If it was a regular order I would not accept it. Now I think as much as it was based on talking rather than real ordering, she would talk about how this different driver is still great for me and would not get me the one I wanted. There would be a lot of hassle. This Custom type driver is just for an average golfer and still very light, 305 grams or so. I would actually like to learn to use it and if I do, I can have it for years, while the altitude might become too light for me soon. Basically I don't mind getting more hard time not because this new driver is really not fit for me, but because it will give me a more realistic feedback abotu my swing. I just accept the challenge, if you will. Everywhere it says the Custom 588 is a fantastic driver for a wide spectrum of golfers. Plus the huge difference I felt at the range with the two, must have been something wrong with my head, not so about the differences of the drivers. I just don't believe that if I make a couple of nice fades with one and then - after two weeks -  a series of wild slices with the other, it is because they are so different, but because something happened to my mind. At the demo day, paradoxically, I was relaxed as I had no idea how to swing with the driver other than I remembered from a few videos. But then I studied the theory, came to the driving range with my head full of rules about stance, tempo, etc. plus not sure if I wanted this driver and it all got stuck in my head and body. Basically whenever I am confused, frustrated or plain angry, I get stiff and the stiffness seems to mess up with my arms and wrists and leads to bad slices. I hope I can make this Custom driver work decently when I relax and just enjoy the swing. If it takes two or three months to get where I was with the Altitude, it is OK with me.

• Administrator
So you're accepting something you didn't pay for and making excuses for the people who messed up. Sounds like a bad strategy. Return it and get the club you ordered.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would have to agree with iacas post. Not a good way to start out with a club.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 3552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!