IGNORED

Help with Slice

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys,

Looking for some help with the driver.  I can't stop slicing the ball and it doesn't seem to me that I'm doing any of the obvious things wrong associated with slicing (coming over the top) and I'm slicing it very badly...like 75% of the time and I'm talking about 50 yards right at least (going right and curving right).  I took some screen shots from a video of my swing.  Looking for some tips on what could be going so wrong...

Backswing

Downswing

roughly impact

Release

IF you find that cure for a slice- don't tell anyone. Sell it and you will make a mint. On a serious note- one pic that looks like it's at impact? it looks like your late on release. the palm of your right hand his pointing about, oh, say... 50 yards right? One thing I can suggest is to take a lot of practice swings WITHOUT a ball. You might need to try and hear the "whooosh" as the clubhead goes through the hitting zone. not before and not after. Generating that whoosh helped me move from a wild fade to a more controlled draw. Took quite awhile- at least four seasons, but during that time the slices became fades, then slight fades, then straight leading finally to the draw. You will now be bombarded with X number of cures, hints, tips, BS and eventually the thread will turn into a slow play debate. they all do, it seems. But, good luck anyway.

Thanks for the input...yeah thats roughly about impact..im not actually hitting a ball there that was a practice swing...but yes my drives end up at least 50 yards right of the whole fairway most of the time...ive only been playing about two years so obviously so just getting the basics of technique down...from everything thing I read or watch about slicing it seems they always say the two biggest problems would be coming over the top or your grip...I dont think I am coming over the top and ive made my grip real strong(V's pointing to right shoulder) and it makes no difference

I am not expert but I used to hit my share of slices.  Funny thing is now I battle a hook.

First think of the back of your front hand as the club face.  Where it is pointing at impact determines where the ball is going to go.

Second I agree that the club face looks wide open which would cause what you are experiencing.

Third if you are battling a slice I'd like to see your hands a little closer to your body at impact which would cause a more in to out path.

Go out and try and hit hooks.  Use the path of the club, inside out and the back of your front hand to try and cause it.  Not a draw but a hook.  Feel how to get there.

Good luck and take a lesson.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I start slicing when my right hand gets lazy .... be sure to maintain grip pressure & try to power through with your right hand.    Also, looks like you're finishing weight forward (which is good) ... thats another reason I slice is when I lean back & don't get my weight forward.    Lastly, keep the head centered - swaying back is tough to master from a timing perspective - keeping centered will promote a draw.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Hey guys,

Looking for some help with the driver.  I can't stop slicing the ball and it doesn't seem to me that I'm doing any of the obvious things wrong associated with slicing (coming over the top) and I'm slicing it very badly...like 75% of the time and I'm talking about 50 yards right at least (going right and curving right).  I took some screen shots from a video of my swing.  Looking for some tips on what could be going so wrong...

Create your own "My Swing" Thread there,

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4180/member-swings

Post the video of your swing. From down the line, where the camera is pointing down your toe line. Also from face on view, pointing at the middle of your stance.

Hard to tell what is happening just from images.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Put the pieces in place that will move the PATH further right than the FACE.......end of slice.

Can you elaborate on this? This is my struggle...even when I have an in/out path, I still push fade/slice. I just have trouble getting the face closed to the path with a driver. All my other clubs it's not an issue. I even hit my 1-iron off the tee dead straight with the miss being a slight fade or a draw. I had about 1/2 round recently where I was hitting it well where my thought was to start the downswing with twist down with my top hand to square the face early. The next time I played this did not work nearly as well. I know the twist is a compensation move and I want to fix the root of the problem. I know my club face is the issue, I am just having real trouble getting it closed/square with the driver. I need to put up a swing video soon.

This is why I get so confused. I thought the only cause of a slice was an out to in swing path? Club face position only giving ball initial direction?

No, what causes a slice is clubface being open to swing path regardless of in/out out/in or relatively parallel to target line.

I thought that was old ball flight law

No, old flight law said swing path was responsible for initial ball direction and face angle controlled curvature. The biggest change from old to new is that face angle at impact is largely responsible for initial ball direction.

I really like this image better it shows all possibilities:

last week I was slicing my long irons and today my driver went astray to the right.  My problems are basically timing issues. Its gotten better but never cured. I find if I play the ball few inches left off the middle of my stance and pelvis rather than off my hips then I can turn the ball over easier. If I want to hit a cut or a runner then play ball off my left instep rather than my left hip.

There are some really good threads, and lots of great advice if you search the sand trap for slice ...there was one recently that popped back up ... I just don't recall the title ... I would suggest doing a little searching on here ...

Honestly there are some smart folks that know how to teach on here ... just got to research a little ... I promise it will be worth your effort.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

So it seems like this is more of a timing of the wrists issue? At least for my situation?...I'm assuming my swing path is not really a problem...here is the dilemma I seem to face...I know that in order to get the right swing path I have to kind of feel my arms drops down (into the slot as they say) and this feeling is kind of counter-intuitive to releasing earlier (at least for me)...as in I feel like if im rolling my wrists over earlier then im not dropping into the slot properly...anyone have a similiar issue or advice on that?

So it seems like this is more of a timing of the wrists issue? At least for my situation?...I'm assuming my swing path is not really a problem...here is the dilemma I seem to face...I know that in order to get the right swing path I have to kind of feel my arms drops down (into the slot as they say) and this feeling is kind of counter-intuitive to releasing earlier (at least for me)...as in I feel like if im rolling my wrists over earlier then im not dropping into the slot properly...anyone have a similiar issue or advice on that?

Just posted in your swing thread. It's not your release or wrists, it's a lack of depth with pivot and arms. Makes it much easier to create an outward swing path. Like @Longleftthumb said, put the right pieces in.

Good to know!

@Bob8619 check this out

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!