IGNORED

The Sand Trap Visits PING! G30 Turbulator Testing, Factory Pics

Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks to everyone at PING for the invite to the factory, putter fitting and G30 product testing. The PING campus encompasses 30 buildings on about 52 acres with about 800 employees on the site.

First thing I want to say about the G30 is that the Turbulators aren't distracting at address, in fact they actually frame the ball quite well. You also don't see the "Turbulator" writing on the crown. Overall I picked up about 1 mph clubhead speed compared to my G25. The driver looks similar to the G25, less "pointy" towards the back of the club and there is less "ting" sound compared to the G25.

My miss with the G30 tended to be a little off the heel but even in left to right wind the ball wasn't curving that much more right, I guess there is something to high MOI drivers ;-)

Numbers basically speak for themselves.

As with the G25, PING is still utilizing the High Balance Point shafts. In the G30 stock shafts they shift the balance point higher, toward the grip while reducing the overall weight of the shaft, which allowed for an increase in overall head weight without impacting swingweight.

PING does this because they found that a heavier head has greater inertia and creates a more efficient transfer of energy than a lighter one.

The G30 also features a new hosel that allows for a full one degree of adjustment in either direction (with a .6° option in the middle, if you're use to the G25 adjustments). So overall, that's 2° of total adjustability. The new hosel adjustment also doesn't come at the cost of adding weight. PING might be the only OEM to able to get to 2° without adding mass.

The G30 SF Tec is basically replacing the K15 line. Similar idea, CoG shifted more towards the heel for players that struggle with slicing or that really want to draw the ball. There will probably be a few tour players that go with this driver.

The G30 fairway woods feel/sound a little hotter than the G25. Similar look at address, slightly deeper face but the newest thing is the carpenter insert that allows the face to flex more. Turbulators are featured on the fairways as well, more for alignment than adding speed.

Like the driver, the fairways are adjustable.

Every generation of G series of iron get a little more streamlined. The same goes for the G30, still a very forgiving high launching iron but will a "cleaner" appearance at address. The tuning port is positioned lower than previous G irons and this also allows the face to be a little thinner. PING also added a couple degrees of bounce because bounce is awesome :-)

G30 hybrids are stupid easy to hit and they get up in the air but don't balloon. To me they look like a mix between the G25 and the Rapture hybrids from a few years back.

Bubba's driver

Also got a chance to tour the factory. Most of the equipment PING builds are custom orders. PING changed the way they assembled clubs a few years ago to improve upon efficiency and get clubs to golfers faster but with the same quality. It's pretty cool to see the entire process.

This hammer is used for part of the bending process.

Different weighted tuning ports to customize and match swing weights.

"Raw" Tour Gorge wedge heads

PING employee showing me how they bend the shafts for the Ketch putters.

How's that for face balanced?

Getting an inside look at how they make their custom bags and backpacks.

The testing range.

PING man

The gold putter vault

Seve's got 44 Anser putters in the vault

My putting stroke numbers.

PING putters through the years

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is so cool. Looking at the new G30 driver, fairways woods, and hybrids, I gotta say, they look great!  Thanks for the photo tour Mike.

• Administrator

That hammer would make a really nice BAN HAMMER! :)

Great stuff, @mvmac . Very cool.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I flinched at BanHammer...

:-)

Fine presentation, Mike. Talk about streamlined ... look at you.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Oh man, that is awesome.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awesome, @mvmac ! That must have been a pretty fun day.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thanks mvmac for all the very cool pictures must of been so cool to see the inner workings at Ping.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

That gold Vault is insane!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

You are in my neck of the woods ... thanks for sharing.  I love my ping irons ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awesome!

Being a Manufacturing Engineer, I love the behind the scenes look of manufacturing facilities.

I see Ping has implemented a lot of MES Systems and mistake-proofing procedures to help with quality and delivery.

Driver: RBZ Stage 2 10.5

3 Wood: RBZ 16HL

3 Hybrid: RBZ 21

Irons: Mizuno MP54 4-PW w/ TT Dynalite Gold Shafts

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T4 50,54,58 with DG Spinner Shafts

Putter: Mizuno MP A301

Thanks for sharing Mike.

Looks like a lot of fun..

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Nice Mike. Looking forward to seeing you with the Turbulator on the course next month. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awesome!

Being a Manufacturing Engineer, I love the behind the scenes look of manufacturing facilities.

I see Ping has implemented a lot of MES Systems and mistake-proofing procedures to help with quality and delivery.

Yes they took me through it and it seems to work out well. Their process is very close to the one Toyota uses, U-shaped formation. You can order a set of clubs Monday and have them by Thursday/Friday.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone book a fitting at The Factory or do you have be mvmac and get a special invitation?  Cool stuff by the way.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTurkey View Post

Can anyone book a fitting at The Factory or do you have be mvmac and get a special invitation?  Cool stuff by the way.

The range is for VIP's only B-) but you can get a factory tour and a free fitting.

http://www.ping.com/about/contactus.aspx

Quote:

Would you like to visit us?

PING offers free walk-in indoor fittings in our Fitting Department Monday through Friday between 7:30am and 4:30pm MST. Group tours of our factory (assembly areas only) are conducted on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 9:00am. Reservations are required, and no children under 9 years old are permitted. Call 602-687-5385 for more information, and please plan ahead as space is limited. PING is closed on holidays.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!