IGNORED

ESPN Offers Tiger Only Broadcast Coverage at The Open

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

The return of the British Open to Royal Liverpool marks Tiger Woods’ return to major competition — an occasion duly noted by ESPN.

As part of its coverage of the event, ESPN3 will offer a live feed following Woods for the entirety of every round he plays .  Woods has yet to compete in a major this season, having missed the Masters and the U.S. Open due to back surgery (and TV ratings have sagged during his absence). But he’s returning to a site of happy memories. In 2006, the last time Royal Liverpool hosted the Open, Tiger collected his 11th major title, shooting a four-round total of 18-under par, and hitting all but one green in regulation on Sunday.

In addition to its live Tiger feed, ESPN will offer more than 65 total hours of television coverage of the Open, including live coverage of all four rounds July 17-20. According to the network, ESPN and WatchESPN will carry 11 scheduled hours of live play for the first two rounds starting Thursday at 4 a.m. Eastern. For Saturday’s third round coverage will begin at 7 a.m. and the final round on Sunday will start at 6 a.m.

Seems ESPN hasn't forgotten who moves the ratings needle.  Not only with their regular coverage feature plenty of Tiger Woods but they are offering exclusive coverage of just Tiger on ESPN3.  It will be interesting to see what the ratings for ESPN3.

http://hotlinks.golf.com/2014/07/10/espn-to-tiger-woods-only-broadcast-during-british-open/?sct=hp8

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I for one will be watching ESPN3! Unless of course, Tiger tanks early.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I for one will be watching ESPN3!

Unless of course, Tiger tanks early.

Me too, I like being able to follow specific golfers through their entire round rather than just see the bits and pieces the networks decide to show us.

Joe Paradiso

So to get espn3 on my iphone, i have to download watchESPN? And it will be on there? I'll be flying and in NYC

Yes, that is correct.  I have WatchESPN on my iPhone.

Don

Yes, that is correct.  I have WatchESPN on my iPhone.

Thank you sir, WatchESPN is ass for me because it doesn't have DirecTV

Riley

So to get espn3 on my iphone, i have to download watchESPN? And it will be on there? I'll be flying and in NYC

Hold on there young fella. Download it. Sign in and stream something first. Then I'd be sure you can watch it on the plane. Your provider may not have an agreement with ESPN.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Hold on there young fella. Download it. Sign in and stream something first. Then I'd be sure you can watch it on the plane. Your provider may not have an agreement with ESPN.

WatchESPN can go eat a dick lol.

Riley

WatchESPN can go eat a dick lol.

I was able to catch little bits of the World Cup on my smartphone. Worked like a charm. On a Chromecast it's spotty. Worked half the time during the World Cup. LPGA never had a problem.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

When will ESPN have the "All LeBron" Channel?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think there's a positive side to this. It'll pave the way to more custom individual streams. Not just Woods or the big draws. But as tech gets cheaper, more coverage that's evenly distributed. Like one day they'll stream the last 10 groups separately. That... would be cool.

Steve

I like the concept and it's logical future of offering viewers the choice of watching whichever group they please however, it seems like a bad idea to launch the idea with a single player (even if it is the single most polarizing figure in the history of golf). What if he shoots 77-80 and misses the cut… :tumble:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Sounds good to me. People want to watch Tiger; let them watch Tiger.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I may switch over from time to time o ESPN-3, but I won't watch Tiger's complete round. I will be watching  the other channels that show who else is playing, more than I will Tigervision. . I'll watch in between naps, since watching golf on TV is a really good sleep sedative for me.

I suppose I should go by the sports book, and see what the over/under is for expletives bleeped out should Tiger have a bad round,...............or two.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I like the concept and it's logical future of offering viewers the choice of watching whichever group they please however, it seems like a bad idea to launch the idea with a single player (even if it is the single most polarizing figure in the history of golf). What if he shoots 77-80 and misses the cut…

Hence my qualifier...

;-)

Don

I will be watching, it is about time they just make a all Tiger channel anyway. Tiger practicing, Tiger prepping for The Open, Tiger eating dinner, Tiger sleeping and Tiger boinking Lindsey.....

In all seriousness though, I love following a round on the course in its entirety. It gives you a good perspective of how it is playing. Just see shots doesn't give that to you. Plus side too that you get the watch the historically greatest active golfer in golf. Kudos for ESPN for making this decision, it should free up the broadcasting for other channels and I we will see how much he moves the needle directly.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I like the concept and it's logical future of offering viewers the choice of watching whichever group they please however, it seems like a bad idea to launch the idea with a single player (even if it is the single most polarizing figure in the history of golf). What if he shoots 77-80 and misses the cut…:tumble:

Then some of us would have been enormously entertained for 2 days.... ;-) Honestly though, a smart move for ESPN....!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!