IGNORED

Who Should Comment on a "My Swing" Thread

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

This discussion was being held in The Locker Room, but it deserves to be a public discussion to which anyone can contribute.

The question is basically "who should feel free to comment on a 'My Swing' thread?"

Please discuss. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll paste my response to that:

There are plenty of people who can give helpful advice. Some people just worked on something similar recently or there are people who are very similar in what they are currently working on. Other times it may be something simple that I don't see because I'm looking everywhere else besides at something like ball placement. Basically all comments are welcome as long as the are constructive, but not all comments are weighed equally and/or implemented into what's being worked on.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'll paste my response to that:

There are plenty of people who can give helpful advice. Some people just worked on something similar recently or there are people who are very similar in what they are currently working on. Other times it may be something simple that I don't see because I'm looking everywhere else besides at something like ball placement. Basically all comments are welcome as long as the are constructive, but not all comments are weighed equally and/or implemented into what's being worked on.

I'd agree with that. I don't mind strange comments, or even out right wrong comments about a swing because that turns into a learning experience for that person (if they are the type to be open minded). I rather not inhibit a discussion.  Yea, if things can be kept civil, I don't mind who posts in the My Swing threads.

I also get that some people might not want their swing thread blown up with tons of discussions as well. I think those people need to speak up about it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I would also like to request we make sure that all responses are clearly written. The answer must be understandable to the owner of the MySwing thread. It makes no sense and can be frustrating to the OP to write something difficult for them to understand.

There are also some cases where you only can make an observation. That's okay too. Just as long as the description of the problem is clearly understood.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I feel that there really isn't any reason that someone can't comment in a My Swing thread (unless they've clearly demonstrated otherwise). Like @Jeremie Boop said, we can all be helpful in different ways. I try to help when I can, and sometimes I'm wrong, but when I'm wrong, we learn why, and we all learn as a community. It works kind of like the Rules forum in that way. The My Swing threads should be public grounds for discussion, anyway, as they are a public forum. People should understand that when they post their swings. It shouldn't be limited to instructors or experts, because then you should be paying them.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My Swing Thread is an open forum for everyone and anyone of all levels to contribute, ask questions, give advice, shoot the shit, whatever.

I think anyone should feel the freedom to contribute to a swing thread, as long as they keep an open mind and can learn from whatever criticism they may get in reply. Maybe I misinterpreted the concept, but to me, "keep exploring" (from Lowest Score Wins ), when applied to this topic, implies asking questions, testing your knowledge, and always learning from your mistakes. I find that the best way to improve as a My Swing Thread contributor is to put yourself out there over a long period of time and thus hopefully getting better at helping people. It makes the community stronger.

Constantine

I feel that there really isn't any reason that someone can't comment in a My Swing thread (unless they've clearly demonstrated otherwise). Like @Jeremie Boop said, we can all be helpful in different ways.

I try to help when I can, and sometimes I'm wrong, but when I'm wrong, we learn why, and we all learn as a community. It works kind of like the Rules forum in that way.

The My Swing threads should be public grounds for discussion, anyway, as they are a public forum. People should understand that when they post their swings. It shouldn't be limited to instructors or experts, because then you should be paying them.

This is key, here. No one should be shy with their comments as long as they are genuinely trying to help.

After all, it is a forum, and that is why people should feel free to voice their thoughts and ideas especially if it is to help a fellow member.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My Swing Thread is an open forum for everyone and anyone of all levels to contribute, ask questions, give advice, shoot the shit, whatever.

I think anyone should feel the freedom to contribute to a swing thread, as long as they keep an open mind and can learn from whatever criticism they may get in reply. Maybe I misinterpreted the concept, but to me, "keep exploring" (from Lowest Score Wins), when applied to this topic, implies asking questions, testing your knowledge, and always learning from your mistakes. I find that the best way to improve as a My Swing Thread contributor is to put yourself out there over a long period of time and thus hopefully getting better at helping people. It makes the community stronger.

QFT.  I agree with this.  I also learn by jumping in and trying.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I feel that there really isn't any reason that someone can't comment in a My Swing thread (unless they've clearly demonstrated otherwise). Like @Jeremie Boop said, we can all be helpful in different ways.

I try to help when I can, and sometimes I'm wrong, but when I'm wrong, we learn why, and we all learn as a community. It works kind of like the Rules forum in that way.

The My Swing threads should be public grounds for discussion, anyway, as they are a public forum. People should understand that when they post their swings. It shouldn't be limited to instructors or experts, because then you should be paying them.

Agreed.  I welcome comments from other students who are working on similar things.  But on the other hand, odd and confusing comments do not seem to add much to the intent of the thread.  Sometimes I am just posting my progress or to show a drill I am working on.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I think anyone should feel the freedom to contribute to a swing thread, as long as they keep an open mind and can learn from whatever criticism they may get in reply. Maybe I misinterpreted the concept, but to me, "keep exploring" (from Lowest Score Wins), when applied to this topic, implies asking questions, testing your knowledge, and always learning from your mistakes. I find that the best way to improve as a My Swing Thread contributor is to put yourself out there over a long period of time and thus hopefully getting better at helping people. It makes the community stronger.

In spirit I agree with this.  It's an open forum and none of us (except those with Instructor Badges) are representing ourselves as instructors so the comments/advice should be received accordingly.

I see potential for a low handicapper to get short with a higher handicapper offering advice but that can be managed on a per case basis.  Also we need to have a short leash on guys that flood the My Swing threads with bad advice on a consistent basis or trying to convert everyone to their particular swing method.

Joe Paradiso

There's no question @mvmac @iacas @sk golf , @david_wedzik , and @cbrian run the show here and if one of them contributes to your thread, you should put what they say above anything we amateurs say. They're pros, they're 5SK guys, they do this for a living, etc. so really pay attention their advice, give it a chance, and do your best to practice what they suggest over your next several range sessions. It's important the rest of us don't step on their toes when sharing advice so we don't confuse the OP.

At the same time though, I think we can still jump in, ask questions, expand on what they're talking about (especially if we've worked on what the OP was told to work on), or even try to guess the next priority piece when a new swing video is uploaded.

Constantine

To me, this is the key.  If you don't want arm-chair swing coaches, sign up for evolvr.  If you're looking for handouts (aren't we all?), anyone can comment and its up to you to decide who to listen too.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

In spirit I agree with this.  It's an open forum and none of us (except those with Instructor Badges) are representing ourselves as instructors so the comments/advice should be received accordingly.

I see potential for a low handicapper to get short with a higher handicapper offering advice but that can be managed on a per case basis.  Also we need to have a short leash on guys that flood the My Swing threads with bad advice on a consistent basis or trying to convert everyone to their particular swing method.

This is one issue with many higher handicaps feeling shy about giving advice. As long as the advice is in good faith, it should be treated respectfully.

Not everything is obvious. A person could have a 19 handicap and has a really good swing, and can offer great advice about swings. (Not naming any names. :beer: )

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'd never comment on some one else's swing because the only swing I am qualified to judge is my own. If I hit a bad shot, I am familiar enough with my own swing, that I know  what happened in my swing that caused that bad shot. Knowing what caused the bad ball flight enables me to apply the appropriate fix.

Have I ever given advice on what to look for when asked by a playing partner why they hit a certain bad shot?  Sure I have. I just make it a point to make sure I was asked first.

Besides, even if I did see some thing obviously wrong in someone's swing, I am pretty sure some one else would see the same problem(s) , and respond appropriately.

I have also seen some pretty bad swings by golfers who were able to shoot low scores. They were able to achieve a decent impact position in spite of their bad swings. I have also seen what I consider, the picture perfect swing where the golfer could not shoot a low score if their life depended on it.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'd never comment on some one else's swing because the only swing I am qualified to judge is my own. If I hit a bad shot, I am familiar enough with my own swing, that I know  what happened in my swing that caused that bad shot. Knowing what caused the bad ball flight enables me to apply the appropriate fix.

Have I ever given advice on what to look for when asked by a playing partner why they hit a certain bad shot?  Sure I have. I just make it a point to make sure I was asked first.

Besides, even if I did see some thing obviously wrong in someone's swing, I am pretty sure some one else would see the same problem(s) , and respond appropriately.

I have also seen some pretty bad swings by golfers who were able to shoot low scores. They were able to achieve a decent impact position in spite of their bad swings. I have also seen what I consider, the picture perfect swing where the golfer could not shoot a low score if their life depended on it.

This is not necessarily the case, and if you observe something you should feel free to tell the OP. In fact, it has a higher likelihood of helping than hindering. Even if it an incorrect comment, someone else will chime in and you will both learn.

This is a forum to discuss things mostly related to golf. You should never feel inhibited. If someone makes a snide comment on your comment, there are moderators to help.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I think anyone should feel free to comment.  It does not bother me if some discussion takes place in my swing thread.  If anybody learns (not necessarily me), I think that is a plus.

OTOH maybe if there is someone you do not want commenting it would be ok to PM a mod and have them restricted from your thread?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I am trying to get "my swing" video together. just got talk a bud in filming for me ...

I know its open forum and would welcome all comments; however, I know who I would "want" to comment, and I know who 's advice I have tried, and it worked for me ...

So my point is ... if you spend anytime on here really trying to learn, you know who to listen to ... and who's advice you might want to filter a bit ...

As already been pointed out, if you want it be private then join Evolr

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

In such threads (other than my own), my plan is to limit myself to compliments where appropriate. I read out of interest, but I have no business giving swing advice to anyone other than very beginners (and even then, it's somewhat limited).
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!