IGNORED

Help me play slower.

Note: This thread is 3544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know pace of play is usually a big topic, however I'm trying to work on the opposite of the usual complaint. I can play 18 holes in about 2 hrs 15 mins if nobody is in front of me. My group usually plays ready golf since I am always ready to hit my shot before the other guys have even figured out what club to hit. This has to be hindering my scores. I don't think and just go go go. Give me a yardage give me a club and whack. My pre shot routine is pretty minimal. Maybe one half swing or half back swing and I fire it. What are some tips to sort of slow down and what is your pre shot routine?

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2:15 by yourself, without anyone holding you up, isn't too fast for a decent player. You can play in my group any time. :beer: Better to work on getting your buddies to pick up the pace, rather than trying to figure out how to slow yourself down!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2:15 by yourself, without anyone holding you up, isn't too fast for a decent player.

Sad thing is I usually score a few shots worse when I play by myself doing this method. Maybe because nobody is there and I'm just "practicing". On the flip side I played an extra 9 holes by myself once and started off with 5 consecutive birdies only to shoot 1 under on the side. Nobody would've believed me if they had seen it with their own eyes lol. I couldn't miss that 9 holes.

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

I know pace of play is usually a big topic, however I'm trying to work on the opposite of the usual complaint. I can play 18 holes in about 2 hrs 15 mins if nobody is in front of me. My group usually plays ready golf since I am always ready to hit my shot before the other guys have even figured out what club to hit. This has to be hindering my scores. I don't think and just go go go. Give me a yardage give me a club and whack. My pre shot routine is pretty minimal. Maybe one half swing or half back swing and I fire it. What are some tips to sort of slow down and what is your pre shot routine?

I like this post! ....apart from the title the last sentence! Yeah! You ain't doin nothing wrong! Ready golf is the only way to play golf! Sure, if your playing new courses ya might wann take time to think a little more, but otherwise.... Whack and walk!

Gaz Lee

I know pace of play is usually a big topic, however I'm trying to work on the opposite of the usual complaint. I can play 18 holes in about 2 hrs 15 mins if nobody is in front of me. My group usually plays ready golf since I am always ready to hit my shot before the other guys have even figured out what club to hit.

This has to be hindering my scores. I don't think and just go go go. Give me a yardage give me a club and whack. My pre shot routine is pretty minimal. Maybe one half swing or half back swing and I fire it. What are some tips to sort of slow down and what is your pre shot routine?

In what way do you feel your normal pace is hurting your game?

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Let me back up just a bit. Where I occasionally struggle is when I'm playing in a group that has slower players, or more likely, we get stuck behind a group of human speed bumps. That can take a faster player out of his rhythm and cause issues. When that happens, I don't change my routine at the ball at all. I try to take my time getting to the ball, while keeping myself occupied along the way. Anything to avoid just sitting at my ball twiddling my thumbs and getting all worked up over the slow pace of play. Timed right, I get to my ball such that I can still pull a club and pull the trigger quickly.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

My pre-shot routine starts about minute before I actually hit the ball. First I look at the lie I have. Next I look at what's in front of me, and where I need to land the ball for an easier next shot. I gauge the distance needed , and pick my club. I step into my stance , give the club a couple waggles, and then hit the ball. I pick up my tee, or fix the turf as needed, and go on my way to my next shot.

When putting my pre shot routine "casually" starts while I am walking up to the green. I get a better visual of any hills, or valleys associated with the green from a distance.. If I'm  golfing with some one, and  have a chance to watch their ball roll that's also part of my pre-putt routine. While waiting for my turn, I read the green as needed. I walk up to the ball, pick my aim point, and stroke the ball over my chosen aim point, which is about a foot or so in front of the ball.

Between any pre-shot/pre-putt routine I am usually not thinking about golf. On average, in a 3.5 hour round (210 minutes) I probably only have golf shots/putts on my mind for 1.5 hours (90 minutes) give or take a few minutes. Plus I never think about my last shot. All the previous shot did was set up my next shot. Good, or bad, that last shot was a done deal,

As for my pace of play, I tend to do things quickly. It matters little what it is. A good example would be the other hobby I have which is desert southwest hiking.  I tend to walk at a not so fast pace. The pace I walk/hike at suits me quite well, which allows me take in the sites, and not step on anything that might other wise cause me grief. Twisted ankles, slips, falls, and western diamond backs readily come to mind. This hiking pace is also my walking pace on a golf course. My walking pace dictates how fast I play, and has a lot to do with how fast I swing a club. My own timing barrier if you will. My point is that everyone does things at their own normal pace in every day life. . If they deviate from their normal pace, in their golf game, they might not play as well as they could.

As for slow play. It's just another part of the game, just as much as balls in divots, and one putts. Golfers should not let slow play dictate how they play the game. Besides, how many time does a golfer actually run into slow play scenarios............ :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

From what I see a good way to slow down when in a group is don't look for your ball or check yardage/figure out your distance until everybody else in the group hits. Also make sure you are out before you hit or putt. If you need to walk it off to see who is out on the green, then for the love of the game, do it. Hope this helps.

James

Let me back up just a bit. Where I occasionally struggle is when I'm playing in a group that has slower players, or more likely, we get stuck behind a group of human speed bumps. That can take a faster player out of his rhythm and cause issues. When that happens, I don't change my routine at the ball at all. I try to take my time getting to the ball, while keeping myself occupied along the way. Anything to avoid just sitting at my ball twiddling my thumbs and getting all worked up over the slow pace of play. Timed right, I get to my ball such that I can still pull a club and pull the trigger quickly.

This is so what I need to learn and do! It probably doesn't help that I'm a fast walker too! I tend to march a bit! Never been one for standing still, I don't rush intentionally! I just like to be on the move and ready to go! A guy has just started playing with us occasionally! He's painfully slow and starting to irritate me! Shame because he's a nice guy and I like him but if he don't pull his finger out I'm dropping him!

Gaz Lee

In what way do you feel your normal pace is hurting your game?

I typically shoot better scores when I play with more than 1 person (3 some or 4 some). I move through the process too fast. Im not looking to slow down pace of play, more or less stop and think for a second before I take my shot. I find myself driving up to my ball 5-7 yards short of the green asking myself why I chose to shoot for the front pin and didnt just take an extra club. I take my time on the putting green trying to feel out the break and whatnot, but tee shots and iron play need to improve.

I also attribute my questioning of myself partly due to the fact that I was a much better player a few years ago and Im trying to get back there quciker than I did originally. Im reading Lowest Score Wins and I know for a fact Im going to shoot a better score each week I practice and read more into the book. (Few chapters a week) I like to let the info sink in before I move on and its been a great read so far.

Kyle Paulhus

Note: This thread is 3544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!