IGNORED

HIT INTO...What would you have done???

Note: This thread is 3542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played later in the day today and ended up playing in front of young yahoos. My course is not overly long (6650 yds)  but is a challenge do to blind shots, doglegs, and the putting. My group of 60 year old's walked and played from the blues as we always do. The young yahoos rode in carts and played from the white tees. It was clear from the first hole they should not have been playing from the white tees. While on the 1st green their tee shots nearly reached the green... at 280 yards! On some of the holes the white tees are 50 to 90 yards shorter than the blue tees. WHY would 20 something year old's with obvious driving ability choose to play tees too easy for them. Our entire round we had to constantly be aware of incoming shots, especially on blind shots or doglegs. On the 16th hole two of the players drove the green from the 290 yard white tees. We played the Par 4 at 365 yards with large oak trees forcing a dogleg. One of the young guys made the putt for an eagle! Since we walked past the green from the elevated tee on Hole 17 I offered my congratulations on the Eagle made. All seemed fine... BUT on the 18th hole things got uglier. The players again playing from white tees (nearly 75 yards shorter than the blue tees) drove the green while we were putting. The balls hit the green in the air... these were not roll ups. I hit both balls off the green into an area where they would not be found... I expected a parking lot confrontation but none developed. Our grouped finished in just under 3 1/2 hours often waiting for groups in front of us. Letting the yahoos through was never a real option... where would they have gone?  Now that I look back at my decision to hit their balls off the final green I wish I had considered hitting them into a bunker or placing both in the hole! I am sure this has happened to others... What are some other options that might have offered a "lesson" to our young yahoos?

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

I dont have an issue with them playing from whatever tees they want. Sometimes it can be fun to play from shorter tees. I do however have issue with them hitting into you. Not sure what I would have done in the same situation.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One lesson you could have offered is to not hit someone else's ball in retribution, but rather to politely remind them that it's dangerous and discourteous to hit their drive unless they're completely sure the group ahead of them is out of range..... ......but it sounds as if that opportunity was missed. FWIW, in my opinion, people playing from tees longer than are appropriate is a much bigger concern than those that choose to tee it forward a bit. I wonder what they were thinking about the "old guys" playing from the tips! ;-)
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I would have left their balls in place on the green ... set on a tee.

Assuming you had left the green before they had arrived.

Sends a message without words. Not passive aggressive. You've kept their golf ball in place, but told them that their etiquette was less than adequate.

It's also less confrontational, so you needn't worry if they're packing.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I would have let them play through even if the net results would have been simply trading places. I would rather have guys like that in front of me rather than behind me. Another option would have been to call the pro shop, and let the staff handle the situation. After seeing the thread about concealed carry, I believe I would avoid confronting guys stupid enough to hit into you multiple times.

Was the course packed? We're they waiting on u guys every shot ? Did u think about letting em play thru? Did u say anything or tHink about saying anything? Seems like u missed tons of spots to do something. If u absolutely hate confrontation u clda said something to pro and he would 100% address it when they reach 18.

One lesson you could have offered is to not hit someone else's ball in retribution, but rather to politely remind them that it's dangerous and discourteous to hit their drive unless they're completely sure the group ahead of them is out of range.....

......but it sounds as if that opportunity was missed.

100% agree with this.  Passive aggressive nonsense is, well, nonsense.

I would have let them play through even if the net results would have been simply trading places. I would rather have guys like that in front of me rather than behind me.

And here is option #2.  Or, combine them both and let them through while warning them to be cautious of the group ahead because there are several short holes coming up.

I played later in the day today and ended up playing in front of young yahoos. My course is not overly long (6650 yds)  but is a challenge do to blind shots, doglegs, and the putting. My group of 60 year old's walked and played from the blues as we always do. The young yahoos rode in carts and played from the white tees. It was clear from the first hole they should not have been playing from the white tees. While on the 1st green their tee shots nearly reached the green... at 280 yards! On some of the holes the white tees are 50 to 90 yards shorter than the blue tees. WHY would 20 something year old's with obvious driving ability choose to play tees too easy for them. Our entire round we had to constantly be aware of incoming shots, especially on blind shots or doglegs. On the 16th hole two of the players drove the green from the 290 yard white tees. We played the Par 4 at 365 yards with large oak trees forcing a dogleg. One of the young guys made the putt for an eagle! Since we walked past the green from the elevated tee on Hole 17 I offered my congratulations on the Eagle made. All seemed fine... BUT on the 18th hole things got uglier. The players again playing from white tees (nearly 75 yards shorter than the blue tees) drove the green while we were putting. The balls hit the green in the air... these were not roll ups. I hit both balls off the green into an area where they would not be found... I expected a parking lot confrontation but none developed. Our grouped finished in just under 3 1/2 hours often waiting for groups in front of us. Letting the yahoos through was never a real option... where would they have gone?  Now that I look back at my decision to hit their balls off the final green I wish I had considered hitting them into a bunker or placing both in the hole! I am sure this has happened to others... What are some other options that might have offered a "lesson" to our young yahoos?

I would have let them play through after the first hole.

EDIT: Been said already, but this is just my first reaction.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wouldn't hit their ball where it wouldn't be found, but I would tee it up (so that you don't damage the green) and send it back down the fairway provided that it wouldn't hit them. It doesn't cost them $5 (if they're playing the fancy balls) but it does get across the message that you're upset.

I wouldn't hit their ball where it wouldn't be found, but I would tee it up (so that you don't damage the green) and send it back down the fairway provided that it wouldn't hit them. It doesn't cost them $5 (if they're playing the fancy balls) but it does get across the message that you're upset.

"Sideways"

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

One lesson you could have offered is to not hit someone else's ball in retribution, but rather to politely remind them that it's dangerous and discourteous to hit their drive unless they're completely sure the group ahead of them is out of range..... ......but it sounds as if that opportunity was missed. FWIW, in my opinion, people playing from tees longer than are appropriate is a much bigger concern than those that choose to tee it forward a bit. I wonder what they were thinking about the "old guys" playing from the tips! ;-)

Agreed. I didn't see anywhere in the OP where anything was said to the group behind about hitting into them. Knocking their balls where they would never be found seems kind of "yahooish" to me.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I would have grabbed all four of their balls, and put them in my bag. Let the little bastards search until they figured it out.

Young people these days have no manners at all, just look at the internet and see how they act. Why would playing golf suddenly change their ways.

Isn't that what the 1st Tee program is all about? Teaching kids manners on the golf course, how to act, how not to act. Maybe Mom was too busy running errands and didn't have time to take them for the 1st tee program.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

What do you mean by sideways?

"Sideways" is a move reference.

Some guys hit into the two main characters, and one of the main characters hits the ball back at them and hits their cart. When they come after them down the fairway , he's running at them and waiving his driver, saying "C'mon MF'ers!"

Good, funny, movie with life's lessons, especially if you enjoy wine.

I would have grabbed all four of their balls, and put them in my bag. Let the little bastards search until they figured it out. Young people these days have no manners at all, just look at the internet and see how they act. Why would playing golf suddenly change their ways. Isn't that what the 1st Tee program is all about? Teaching kids manners on the golf course, how to act, how not to act. Maybe Mom was too busy running errands and didn't have time to take them for the 1st tee program.

I knew the "get off my yard" grumpy old man down the street was here someplace.:-)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

The only things I have ever done when I was constantly getting hit at while waiting for the folks in front of me to get out of the way was to pick up the balls that were hit at me. Another thing I have done when available, was to replace the ball hit at me with one of those exploding balls. I've done that a couple of times. You'd be surprised how many people don't check a ball laying in the fairway, believing it's their's  because it's in the general area they saw their ball land. That's always fun if I can pull it off.

People who hit balls at other people on a golf course are just ignorant.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm a little confused by this post.  It seems like the best course of action would have been for you to mention something to them when they hit into you.  Especially if there are a lot of blind tee shots they might not have known that their shots were coming close to your group and as for the long drives hitting the green maybe a "good drive but can you just make sure that we are off the green and out of your range before you tee off so you guys dont accidentally hit us, thanks" seems like it could work.  No need to be passive aggressive or confrontational

I would have grabbed all four of their balls, and put them in my bag. Let the little bastards search until they figured it out.

Young people these days have no manners at all, just look at the internet and see how they act. Why would playing golf suddenly change their ways.

Isn't that what the 1st Tee program is all about? Teaching kids manners on the golf course, how to act, how not to act. Maybe Mom was too busy running errands and didn't have time to take them for the 1st tee program.

Not sure exactly where you are coming from on this post.  Age really has anything to do with etiquette on a golf course.  a couple of weeks back a group of 50-60 year old men were hitting into our group of 20 something year olds including one shot that hit our cart which was just off the fairway and in clear site from the tee (on a backed up course where we were waiting on every tee box for the group before us to finish teeing off).  No need to throw these types of generalizations out there

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

I'm a little confused by this post.  It seems like the best course of action would have been for you to mention something to them when they hit into you.  Especially if there are a lot of blind tee shots they might not have known that their shots were coming close to your group and as for the long drives hitting the green maybe a "good drive but can you just make sure that we are off the green and out of your range before you tee off so you guys dont accidentally hit us, thanks" seems like it could work.  No need to be passive aggressive or confrontational

Not sure exactly where you are coming from on this post.  Age really has anything to do with etiquette on a golf course.  a couple of weeks back a group of 50-60 year old men were hitting into our group of 20 something year olds including one shot that hit our cart which was just off the fairway and in clear site from the tee (on a backed up course where we were waiting on every tee box for the group before us to finish teeing off).  No need to throw these types of generalizations out there

I agree with this.  You should've said something, in a nonchalant manner, the first time it happened.  If it happens again afterwards, then the group behind you is at fault.  But by not saying anything, you can't be complaining about it after the round is over.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!