IGNORED

My Swing (DeadMan)

DeadMan

BTW - is that the Callaway net they sell at Target? The 7' x 7' one? I just bought one and plan on setting it up in my back yard. Have you ever shanked one and missed the net? Is 7x7 enough to be safe? I don't want to send my neighbors a surprise!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

BTW - is that the Callaway net they sell at Target? The 7' x 7' one? I just bought one and plan on setting it up in my back yard. Have you ever shanked one and missed the net? Is 7x7 enough to be safe? I don't want to send my neighbors a surprise!

This is what I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZZ8BOC?psc=1&redirect;=true&ref;_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 . I don't know if it's exactly the same as what you have, but it's probably pretty close.

I think maybe once I've hit a shot that didn't go into the net. If you are really worried about shanking it, set up your mat towards the left side of the net. I haven't really been worried about missing the net at all. But I also wouldn't put something breakable just to the right of the net.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I'm no expert, but from the top video, even when you are hitting it, you're not far away from hitting the hosel... May just be as simple as setting up a tiny bit further away from the ball?

Distance with the butt of the club to the body looks pretty good here.

I can make my swing playable before a round with some drills, but it doesn't address the fundamental underlying problem that I have. I think it's a problem with key #1. My head moves and it obstructs the space I have for my arms. I'm going to keep working at it and update you all on what my evovlr analysis shows. It is definitely frustrating to have this problem, but it's really not any different from hitting a big slice/hook - the resulting shot just is a lot worse.

Yes the amount the head moves is causing some problems with the direction the sweetspot travels. Keep working on that, I would also recommend adding a little more knee flex at address.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@mvmac - Thanks for the advice. And thanks for picking a picture of me where it looks like I have a massive gut! I swear, that's just the shirt billowing in the wind.

I'm going to try to get in a couple of minutes of doing the head against the wall drill to try to curtail my head movement even more for the next few days. Probably a good attack plan for now. Unfortunately, I'm now into the meat of tournament season. I have a match play round this weekend and then a stroke play tournament next weekend. Not a ton of time to make changes, but I'll make do.

-- Daniel

I'm going to try to get in a couple of minutes of doing the head against the wall drill to try to curtail my head movement even more for the next few days. Probably a good attack plan for now.

Good plan. Take note of what you feel to accomplish this.

Mike McLoughlin

Got my analysis back from Brian. My focus needs to be on removing that head jerk I have in my transition. This is a zombie problem for me. It was a problem I had early on working with evovlr, but I had worked on minimizing it, with good success (as you can see from some of the videos above). Brian did note that my backswing looks great, even though I'm a doofus and cut off the club at the top of the backswing. :whistle:

I was able to get some swings in last night. There was definitely improvement. Maybe one or two shanks at the beginning, and then I was hitting the sweet spot a lot at the end. Fortunately, I've been able to fix this problem before, so I know how to do it now, haha. Here's the three drills/things I'm doing to help with this:

1. Head against the wall, practicing a swing with my body. This is something I can do just a various points in the day, and I'll do it a bit at the range, too. This drill does not let my head move towards or away from the golf ball.
  2. Slow practice swings with a mirror, working on my keeping my head behind the ball. This is the one most useful at the range. I set up my phone and can watch myself. The goal is to not have the head move forward at all. I will start out by moving my head backwards, just to get the extreme, but by the end I'm just working on it not moving towards the ball. I'll take 3-5 practice swings doing that, normally around 50% speed I'd guess, and then take one full speed swing.
  3. Set up an alignment stick so it sticks out right next to my head (touching my head). Swing without moving the stick. It's a variation on drill 1, but it's good one.

Now, in the future, I see that I need to really to focus harder on this stuff. I have fixed this stuff in the past, so I don't want to have to deal with it again. I think I believed I had fixed it and moved on, when in reality, I hadn't fully fixed it yet. To ensure this, I'm going to just work on this particular priority piece for the next few weeks. And then, when I go to work on my swing, I'm going to film at the beginning of working on it, just to check that I haven't backslid on this stuff. Because you can see how I've been working on this for 6 months now and my progress comes and goes. It's not very hard to check. I just need to do it more often.

-- Daniel

All sounds good - keep us posted!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Was able to fix the shanks enough to be able to play twice this weekend. Neither round was perfect, but it was a significant improvement. I won my match 4&2 - onto the quarterfinals in match play!

Still need to work on ingraining everything, but my head movement is definitely minimized right now.

-- Daniel

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I may add more later, but… @DeadMan , the hips shoving out toward the ball like this tends to promote heel contact, particularly when they're paired with a shaft that's coming ever so slightly outside to in. You have to rotate better to get the clubhead back "inside" the ball at some point.

It won't do you too much good to just ignore what you're being asked to do because you think it's the fix. This is the fix.

If you want a quick fix, put a ball two inches outside the ball you're trying to hit and hit it. Or an empty water bottle. Miss the extra ball/water bottle. Shanks fixed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

@DeadMan , did you have any response?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've updated this, so figured I should post something. Here is my most recent full swing videos:

What I'm currently working on, on the advice of Brian at evolvr, is a bit of clubface control. I'm working on flexing my wrists so the clubface stays more open in my swing. This is actually going to be a fairly big change for me. It is a weird feeling for me. The other thing is trying to get my shoulder to drop a little earlier in the downswing so my shoulders open up slightly earlier. This is obviously a really short summary, but that's the general overview of what I'm working on.

Fortunately, my swing really turned a corner the past 2 months. I shook the shanks (rather not go into too much detail because I'm still very embarrassed about that whole saga) I'm averaging around 8 GIR since August 1, and my handicap is shooting down quickly (if I get a differential lower than 13.7 in my 2 rounds this weekend, I will move into the single digits!). I want to continue to tighten up the swing to eliminate big misses off the tee, because that's what leads to doubles and worse for me.

The other thing that really jumps out at me is that I'm averaging 8 GIR and 16.5 nGIR per round. Shooting in the low 80s like I have been seems like underachieving with those stats. If I can turn more nGIRs into par (my scrambling % is around 25%), I will get into the 70s without hitting it any closer to the hole. Of course, I could help myself by being closer to the hole on both nGIR and GIR, so I want to work on that, too. But it's pretty clear that I should be working on my short game a little more than I have been. I've honestly been in such a good place with my swing that I want to go play instead of practicing. Probably a couple of hours spent working on my short game technique and practicing putting would help me. But I'd rather go play :-) .

-- Daniel

Lots of good stuff going on, especially this, keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

Lots of good stuff going on, especially this, keep up the good work!

Agreed! Very nice. Keep it up!

• 4 months later...

Been a while, so I figured I'd post an update.

What I'm working on:

• Getting more flexion in my wrist at the top of my swing to improve key 3. Key 3 looks a lot better here than it has in the past, but still needs some work
  • Rotating my hips more on the downswing so they're more open at impact (again, these videos are a bit of an improvement, but needs more work)
  • Letting my lower body start my downswing instead of my upper body.
Edited by iacas
Embedded videos

-- Daniel

• 2 months later...

Quick update:

Working on 3 things with a little half swing drill: turning hips (I have a tendency to stall my hips just before impact), turning my shoulders in the downswing, and getting some flexion in my left wrist in transition. Struggling a bit with that last piece, because I tend to have a closed face at impact right now. But my contact is solid and my key 3 looks a lot better than it has, so I'm working at it.

-- Daniel

7 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Quick update:

Working on 3 things with a little half swing drill: turning hips (I have a tendency to stall my hips just before impact), turning my shoulders in the downswing, and getting some flexion in my left wrist in transition. Struggling a bit with that last piece, because I tend to have a closed face at impact right now. But my contact is solid and my key 3 looks a lot better than it has, so I'm working at it.

Looking good!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 7 months later...

Working on not sliding my hips so far forward in the downswing and trying to rotate them instead. Unfortunately, the weather has turned here, so I don't have much of a chance to get outside. It's about time to get back into my garage and really work on improving my swing without worrying about where the ball goes!

-- Daniel

• 2 months later...

I'm working on a new priority piece right now, and I'm having some issues. I'm trying to get my hands more even with my right hip at A6. The above videos are virtually identical to what I'm doing now, so they're a decent guide. Also, this means I'm struggling with implementing this priority piece. Does anyone have any feels or suggestions that might help out? I've tried a bunch, with no success. Slow practice swings look decent, but I can't translate them into a good feel for when I take a real swing.

Any ideas would be very appreciated!

-- Daniel