IGNORED

My Swing (DeadMan)

DeadMan

I've been Playing Golf for: seriously for about 3 years. I played a bit when I was younger, but really got back into the game about 3 years ago.

My current handicap index or average score is: 12.0. Average score is about an 85.

My typical ball flight is: Straight to slight fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Boy, I could write a book on this one. For a long time, I struggled with a slice with my longer clubs. That happens rarely now. Earlier this year, I was dealing with a case of the pull hooks. Currently, I'm mostly struggling with inconsistent contact, more than a miss. I've been thinning the ball a lot recently and I've chunked a bunch recently, too.

Videos: Sorry for the poor quality of these videos. I was dealing with an iPhone that was quickly running short on batteries, and didn't get a chance to see how bad they were until I got home. I will try again next time I'm on the range and hopefully the quality will be better.

First one in this one was a chunk, for what it's worth. Don't worry - I don't take two swings that close together ever, but I wanted better contact in add.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In the DTL view, it looks like you've got early extension - your tush line comes into view on the downswing. For me, this move makes it hard to stay on plane and causes me to get steep and/or over the top.  My favorite drill for this, from the 5SK guys, is curling toes up through the swing.

In the DTL view, it looks like you've got early extension - your tush line comes into view on the downswing. For me, this move makes it hard to stay on plane and causes me to get steep and/or over the top. My favorite drill for this, from the 5SK guys, is curling toes up through the swing.

Thanks. I see what you're saying, and it makes sense that it could contribute to either a pull hook or a slice. Any chance for a link to that drill? I can't find anything through a search.

-- Daniel

Thanks. I see what you're saying, and it makes sense that it could contribute to either a pull hook or a slice.

Any chance for a link to that drill? I can't find anything through a search.

I think he was referring to this one.

- Shane

I think he was referring to this one.

That's the one. I was often kicking my right knee towards the target line in order to turn my hips, which is clearly not the way to do it. This drill helped my a ton. Not sure if you're doing the same thing I was though...but I don't think this drill will hurt anyone.

Now that I look at your swing again, it also looks like you're set up a little bit back on your heels. I think that in a good set up position, your knees should be a bit further out over your feet. See Adam Scott below. Obviously, there are a lot more qualified people on this board to comment, hopefully they will :)

Now that I look at your swing again, it also looks like you're set up a little bit back on your heels. I think that in a good set up position, your knees should be a bit further out over your feet.

Agree with that, tailbone is too far back and the eyes are up. @DeadMan take a look at this thread

Would also check this out

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks everybody. I'm getting back on the range on Wednesday, so I'll do a little tweaking. I'll try to get some better videos, too.

-- Daniel

Went to the range last night. I was just focused on changing my set up - posture (weight on balls of feet, knees more over my feet, chin tucked in) and my feet pointing out like in that video mvmac posted above. The results were a massive improvement over what I've been going through recently. Contact was much more consistent, and my ball flight was generally straight, with some pulls mixed in. I have some video, but I'm not going to post it just yet. I have a tournament this Sunday, so I don't want to tinker more before then. And since I was making good contact and it was straight, I don't want to try to fix something else at this point.

-- Daniel

Always good to hear there was improvement, good luck with the tournament.

Mike McLoughlin

Well, the tournament went pretty well. I shot an 86, which with my handicap was an net 72, even par. It was my best ball striking day in a long time - 10 GIR. Unfortunately, made 2 bad decisions that led to a double and a triple, and then added another stupid double (4 putt - ugh), and a triple that wasn't as terrible considering where my drive ended up.

That's okay, though. I'm pleased that I improved on my ball striking. I was hitting straight, high lasers all day - my misses with my irons tended to be just slight draws that didn't hurt me.

-- Daniel

• 3 months later...

Figured I would bump this for an update. I'm signing up for evovlr. I have an indoor hitting bay set up in my garage that I plan to use this winter. I'm hoping to work on my swing this winter without the pressure of a handicap (this is more pressure on my self, to be fair) or tournaments. My goal is to get into the single digits this year, and be able to play from the tips in tournaments with my men's club (requires a handicap below 10 - length isn't an issue for me).

I will post my most recent videos when I get home and can upload them to youtube.

-- Daniel

Videos! Finally!

Also, some good videos of my garage :)

-- Daniel

First thing I'd like to see you do is turn the feet out a little more and make sure the knees are also rotated outward. Your knees are more "pinched" inward.

Mike McLoughlin

I feel like you may have told me that before ... :whistle:

-- Daniel

Just watched my analysis. My head is wild on my swing - I figured I wasn't perfect on key 1, but I didn't think it would be that bad, haha. The funny part is that while I was hitting balls, I could see my head shdaw easily. And I swear it wasn't moving. Boy, was I wrong. That's okay, though, something to work on.

I also need to be a little more upright with my posture. So I have 3 things to work out - flaring feet out more at address (along with outward knee rotation), more upright posture, and keeping head still. The first 2 of those seem pretty easy to fix, as long as I don't get lazy about it my address position. The head wildness will be tougher. But, man, I can see how I could have huge improvement just by keeping it more quiet in my swing.

-- Daniel

Very nice, those were the first things I worked on as well.. Isn't it so much better to have direction than going it on your own?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Ask me again in a couple of months. ;-)

But, yes, it is nice to have something specific to work on instead of just swinging.

-- Daniel