IGNORED

My Swing (DeadMan)

DeadMan

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I'm working on a new priority piece right now, and I'm having some issues. I'm trying to get my hands more even with my right hip at A6. The above videos are virtually identical to what I'm doing now, so they're a decent guide. Also, this means I'm struggling with implementing this priority piece. Does anyone have any feels or suggestions that might help out? I've tried a bunch, with no success. Slow practice swings look decent, but I can't translate them into a good feel for when I take a real swing.

Any ideas would be very appreciated!

Feel the left hand coming down - your left arm coming down across your chest - much faster.

What feels are you using right now?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Feel the left hand coming down - your left arm coming down across your chest - much faster.

What feels are you using right now?

The one I was trying most was somewhat similar to that - trying to feel like my hands got sped up in the downswing.

I also tried probably 3-4 other feels that I thought might help, but didn't do anything on video review: holding my hips back in the downswing, getting a ton of weight forward on the downswing, turning my hips more. Those are the ones off the top of my head.

I've been striking the ball pretty well recently, though, so I probably haven't been focusing on this priority as much as I should I have. I will keep at it.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Here's what I'd recommend.

- Lower the eyes/chin at address and get the weight more balanced (currently back on your heels).

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.52.19 AM.png

- The address part will help this but don't roll the hands forearms on the takeaway. More "Jack Nicklaus" on the takeaway, keep the palm of the right hand "on top" and pointing towards the ground.

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.52.59 AM.png

Like this 

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 10.07.37 AM.png

- Rolling the forearms leads to you loading the shaft on the shallow side

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.53.16 AM.png

- Which causes you to steepen it coming down, this is why you have a tough time with Key 3 (getting the hands forward enough) on the downswing.

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.53.30 AM.png

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@mvmac - that's slightly different from what my evolvr instructor was pointing at. He wanted me to focus on (1) shallowing out the shaft in the downswing and (2) getting the hands even with my right thigh at A6. I've been struggling with the second part of that more than the first. I definitely see how what you're saying will help me, but I'm curious if I should attack all that right now or focus on what Preston wants me to work on for now (besides the address part; I will definitely work on that).

I have noticed that I go shallow to steep, and I've seen you and @iacas suggest that for others on here, but I haven't chased that yet.

-- Daniel

59 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

@mvmac - that's slightly different from what my evolvr instructor was pointing at. He wanted me to focus on (1) shallowing out the shaft in the downswing and (2) getting the hands even with my right thigh at A6. I've been struggling with the second part of that more than the first. I definitely see how what you're saying will help me, but I'm curious if I should attack all that right now or focus on what Preston wants me to work on for now (besides the address part; I will definitely work on that).

Damn I hate when that happens :-P

I'd stick with what Preston recommended since he has more of a history with your move but maybe ask him about the shallow takeaway/backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Damn I hate when that happens :-P

I'd stick with what Preston recommended since he has more of a history with your move but maybe ask him about the shallow takeaway/backswing.

Sounds good. I will definitely ask him in my next submission.

-- Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

@mvmac - I submitted a new video to evolvr of my full swing and asked about the steep to shallow in my swing, and Preston agreed with that, and more or less gave me the same advice as you did above. He gave me three things to look at, the most important of those was exactly that A2 advice you gave above. So good work getting in Preston's ear about this. :-D Anyways, this stuff is really good to work on at home to get the feels with some mirror work to then take it to the range. I'm going to try the 5 minutes a day thing in March for this. It's a fairly big change in comparison to what I've been working on in the past. I think I can find feels that work, but it's probably going to be a longer slog than other stuff I've worked on.

Interesting thing - my GIR% is about 55% this year so far. That's in 36 holes, but anyways. Preston said he thinks if I nail this stuff, I could get to 70% GIR. Just the thought of that ... oh man. I was at 43% last year.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

So good work getting in Preston's ear about this. :-D 

Ha, I actually never brought it up to him but good to hear things are working out well. He's a good instructor, I'm sure it was in his game plan all along.

Mike McLoughlin

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

So good work getting in Preston's ear about this.

2 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Ha, I actually never brought it up to him ...

@DeadMan, this has happened to me a few times and it's really awesome because it inspires a lot of confidence in the Evolvr/5SK guys when you are repeatedly reminded that they are always on the same page, even blindly. :)

• Administrator
17 hours ago, mvmac said:

Ha, I actually never brought it up to him but good to hear things are working out well. He's a good instructor, I'm sure it was in his game plan all along.

I passed along your post to him. I didn't say anything else, just passed along the URL.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

17 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

@DeadMan, this has happened to me a few times and it's really awesome because it inspires a lot of confidence in the Evolvr/5SK guys when you are repeatedly reminded that they are always on the same page, even blindly. :)

I mean, I've gone from a 12 to a 6 without working at all that hard on it, honestly, with evolvr. I almost definitely worked harder to go from from a 18 to a 12 on my own. So I have plenty of confidence.

48 minutes ago, iacas said:

I passed along your post to him. I didn't say anything else, just passed along the URL.

I'm not too surprised Preston advised me to go this way, even with that, though. Like I said above, I've seen that in my swing for a long time, and I've seen you and mvmac give the steep to shallow advice in a lot of my swing threads before. I figured it was just a matter of time before I started to work on it.

-- Daniel

Pretty decent changes on the DTL view after working on this for about a week. Check out the change in A2 versus the still @mvmac posted above. Still a lot of work to go on this (like actually shallowing out my downswing...), but a decent start!

-- Daniel

3 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Pretty decent changes on the DTL view after working on this for about a week. Check out the change in A2 versus the still @mvmac posted above. Still a lot of work to go on this (like actually shallowing out my downswing...), but a decent start!

Nice work, looks much better!

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Bleh, this is what happens when you slack on your mirror work after actually having a good result after 2 weeks. Too steep in the backswing, and I need to shallow out the downswing some more.

I really need to refocus on my mirror work. I got to a good spot and then got lazy with it, resulting in what you see in these videos.

-- Daniel

On 10/04/2017 at 3:38 AM, DeadMan said:

Bleh, this is what happens when you slack on your mirror work after actually having a good result after 2 weeks. Too steep in the backswing, and I need to shallow out the downswing some more.

I really need to refocus on my mirror work. I got to a good spot and then got lazy with it, resulting in what you see in these videos.

Good reflection on what's working and what isn't - there are always ups and downs when working on different pieces so don't be too hard on yourself. Interestingly, the bits that @mvmac has highlighted are exactly what I'm working on as well (forearm roll in takeaway and having weight more towards the heels) and there are lots of similar pieces in your swing that I recognise from my own. As you said yourself, great to see that the evolvr guys come to the same conclusions.

Keep up the good work! Subscribed and looking forward to seeing the progress.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• 1 month later...

Still working on shallowing out the downswing. Looks slightly better, but not there yet.

-- Daniel

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Working on something slightly different now - my hip turn throughout the swing. I'm not getting enough, and it's causing some slight faults. I like the progess I've made on the steep to shallow piece, although it could still get better.

Funny thing about my swing right now - my impact is generally towards the heel. I normally tend to favor the toe. It causes some weird things, because I think  I have the face slightly closed at impact. If my impact is on the heel, I'll hit some wicked pull draws with my irons - seems like a of a draw trap (which I know isn't really a thing) - but some wicked pull fades with my driver - gear effect takes over with that club. If my impact is on the sweet spot, I'm hitting straight lasers. Need to move the impact over about an inch to half an inch.

EDIT: And apparently I need to figure out the difference between FO and DTL :P

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

• Administrator

Pause the top video at impact, and work instead on getting your arms down faster, so you aren't flipping even with a back ball position.