IGNORED

Increasing angle of attack with irons

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would like to hear people's thoughts on this.  Coach put my on a trackman the other day and it showed my AoC with an 8 iron averages around -2.5.  The shots that I can feel (and definitely see) are the most solid had an AoC of -4.0 or a bit more.  My 6 and 5 irons had an AoC of less than -1, which means I'm almost sweeping the longer clubs.

Obviously I could drastically increase AoC by swinging out to in, etc., but that's not the point.  Want to be able to stick with my stock draw/inside out club path and still get a more descending strike on the ball.

Thoughts?

I haven't heard AoC before, so I'm going with AoA from the title.

Without having seen your swing, how's your weight transfer through the downswing and amount on the front leg at impact? Getting the weight forward is probably the most important factor in getting the lowpoint more forward.

Ball position can affect your AoA and head movement can mess up things here and there.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My bad, meant AoA.  I've been working on weight transfer for months, and it's definitely improved.  That being said, I've never been on a pressure plate or anything, so it could very well be that I'm at 75% or so weight on my front, whereas I should be closer to 90%.  If that's the case, that's probably the fix right there.

So with that much weight forward, will you naturally come at the ball a little steeper?

I don't think you necessarily come in steeper.  I think that having the weight shifted forward, combined with the hips rotating up and around moves the bottom of the swing arc that much more forward.  I personally only try to get steeper on an iron shot when I'm playing it back and working the ball lower.

Note: This thread is 3561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!