IGNORED

What Happens First: Rory Completes Slam or Tiger Wins 15th Major?

atb5079
Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Happens First?

• Rory wins the Masters to complete the career grand slam
    • Tiger Woods wins his 15th major championship

This poll is closed to new votes

No...because nobody every brings up Russell when they're talking about the GOAT. It's pretty widely accepted that he isn't the GOAT...

Except in Boston. You know the city with the 17 championships! :-D

Just saying that all these types of debates can be circular with each judge changing the criteria to favor their points. They can be fun to discuss as long as folks keep it civil and have fun with it. They do tend to have a habit of getting cranky at times though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Except in Boston. You know the city with the 17 championships!

Just saying that all these types of debates can be circular with each judge changing the criteria to favor their points. They can be fun to discuss as long as folks keep it civil and have fun with it. They do tend to have a habit of getting cranky at times though.

Homers don't count. :-P

Keep bringing up his 11 championships...bet Jordan would have that many if there were only 8 other teams in the league too lol

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

No...because nobody every brings up Russell when they're talking about the GOAT. It's pretty widely accepted that he isn't the GOAT...

Why would Russell ever be considered for GOAT? Because his TEAM won so many titles? The GOAT is a player, not a team, thus team titles, for me anyway, are only a small part of it. If they were the only part then isn't there another Celtic that has even one more title than Russell? One of the Jones' maybe?

Ok stick to the topic please

Ok...I bet LeBron wins another championship before Russell wins another.

Wait, was that not the topic? :p

Money's still on Tiger...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Why would Russell ever be considered for GOAT? Because his TEAM won so many titles? The GOAT is a player, not a team, thus team titles, for me anyway, are only a small part of it. If they were the only part then isn't there another Celtic that has even one more title than Russell? One of the Jones' maybe?

How can you be a GOAT in any team sport at all then?

Golf is easier to make the case, but like the OP, it is really all based on opinion and speculation.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Ok stick to the topic please

Not a basketball forum guys…

C'mon now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Go with Tiger just because he gets four chances a year, and he  could always feel healthy and put on a classic performance.  Rory's gotta have one of his dominant performances at Augusta.  Not out of the question obviously, as he was dominating until Sunday last year (last year, right?).  But he only gets one chance a year.  I'd give Tiger better odds of winning one of the next 5-13 majors than Rory winning the Masters the next 1-3 years.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

The one weakness I see in Rory's game that seems to give him problems is the fast greens, which is why I'm not sure he's ready to win yet at Augusta. He's struggled with the flat stick on slick greens. You look at the majors he's won and they were on soft surfaces. You look at his record on fast tracks and it's not as good. Outside of Congressional, he's not fared well at the US Open. Struggled mightily on Muirfield's fast surface last year. You look back to that dreadful Sunday at Augusta and there were several 3-putts in that round. On hard greens, you have to be careful of jamming putts in, which is what Rory tries to do. If he nails that aspect of his game, he is going to be scary in the future.

It's been 25 majors and 6 years since Tiger last won (uncannily similar to Roger Federer - albeit he did sneak a Wimbledon inbetween)

Rory is ranked number 2 in the world. So take the world of tennis and their number 2 player on his weakest surface. Would you back Nadal to win Wimbledon before you'd back Federer to win another slam? Well of course you would, because one will happen and the other won't

From what I can see Rory gets about 12-15 shots at this goal over a long temporal horizon. Tiger probably gets the same amount over a shorter one. Rory looks odds on to achieve his, I wouldn't be quite so certain Tiger ever will. Why? wel he hasn't won one in the last 6 years, is there any reason to believe he's better equipped to win one in the next six, by which time he should be close to spent. Sport does strange things, perhaps he's destined to remain where he is? If someone had said that in 2008, you'd have laughed. But so far at least, it's happened.

It's been 25 majors and 6 years since Tiger last won (uncannily similar to Roger Federer - albeit he did sneak a Wimbledon inbetween)

Rory is ranked number 2 in the world. So take the world of tennis and their number 2 player on his weakest surface. Would you back Nadal to win Wimbledon before you'd back Federer to win another slam? Well of course you would, because one will happen and the other won't

From what I can see Rory gets about 12-15 shots at this goal over a long temporal horizon. Tiger probably gets the same amount over a shorter one. Rory looks odds on to achieve his, I wouldn't be quite so certain Tiger ever will. Why? wel he hasn't won one in the last 6 years, is there any reason to believe he's better equipped to win one in the next six, by which time he should be close to spent. Sport does strange things, perhaps he's destined to remain where he is? If someone had said that in 2008, you'd have laughed. But so far at least, it's happened.

There are some similarities with Tiger and Federer but some don't hold water. The main is that as Federer got older, new great players arrived in Nadal and Djokovic. However, the main reason he is no longer winning is his age. Tiger is still in a prime golfing age while Federer is old for a top tennis player. But Tiger has to deal with the new blood like Rory, the late emergence of Adam Scott, Bubba, Dustin and others.

I think you're probably right, it's not a great comparison, the point i was trying to make though is that Tiger, not unlike Federer, might find he never wins again, but is capable of competing with merit for years to come.

I actually think St Andrews could be his best chance funnily enough, but the recetn evidence suggests you boost your prospects by playing the Scottish open a week before, and its doubtful Tiger will do that.

I think the idea that the weight of numbers is on Tigers side is really a reflection on the speed with which tournaments come at.

He's 38 now, say he's competitive until 44 (doubtfull in itself given that his body could be packing up) that's 5 years plus this years PGA = 21 shots provided he stays fit

Rory is 25 and gets about 19 attempts at a Masters on the same logic

If you're in the Rory camp of course, then you're discounting Woods from Augusta anyway (by very definition you have to) so you're actually saying he gets 3 shots a year

Now whose to say Mickelson won't the US Open and trump them both!

I do think Tiger is slightly more likely than John Daly to win another major.  He's younger, has his card, and is more consistent.  But I wouldn't want to bet a lot on either of them winning another.

Odds are a healthy Tiger will win a Major before Rory wins a Major because Tiger has 4 chances every year and Rory only gets 1 opportunity a year.   Tiger showed on Thursday at the Open he can shoot low, but also showed on the following three days that he's still struggling with his swing, especially his driver.  I've heard some are saying he has driver yips, not sure that's the case but he definitely appears to have lost confidence with it.  For Tiger to win a Major he's going to have to get his driver problems worked out.

I think another interesting poll would be who completes the Slam first, Rory or Phil?

Joe Paradiso

The only thing that I really question about picking Rory over Tiger (although I already have) is Bubba. He could be a major roadblock for Rory at Augusta for a long time. Even Phil could get in the way for the next few years. Bubba is just so good there and I can see him winning another Masters in the coming years. Being a lefty is so helpful there, especially a long lefty. Now Rory is on another lever than most of the guys out there but Bubba could really gonna get in his way.

The other thing is Tiger has a few sites coming up that he previously won (not surprising since he wins everywhere. Not sure that makes a big difference but just looking all the way down to the 2019 US open at Pebble Beach. He will be what 43/44 by then? Can you just imagine the story book ending to his competitive career? Of course he could play longer, but I really do think 5 years his is absolute max for major window. He also has Valhalla in two weeks (though he is far too terrible right now to win IMO). Then there is St Andrews next year.

I really believe the British Open is gonna be Tiger's best friend going forward. You dont have to hit driver all the time which we all know is Tiger's downfall these days. Older and more experienced players tend to play it well. I don't see the US Open being fun, apart from the movie plot that is him winning at Pebble Beach to end his major championship career. Neither will he have a good chance to don another green jacket.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

The other thing is Tiger has a few sites coming up that he previously won (not surprising since he wins everywhere. Not sure that makes a big difference but just looking all the way down to the 2019 US open at Pebble Beach. He will be what 43/44 by then? Can you just imagine the story book ending to his competitive career? Of course he could play longer, but I really do think 5 years his is absolute max for major window. He also has Valhalla in two weeks (though he is far too terrible right now to win IMO). Then there is St Andrews next year.

I really believe the British Open is gonna be Tiger's best friend going forward. You dont have to hit driver all the time which we all know is Tiger's downfall these days. Older and more experienced players tend to play it well. I don't see the US Open being fun, apart from the movie plot that is him winning at Pebble Beach to end his major championship career. Neither will he have a good chance to don another green jacket.

To add to your comment, Valhalla re did all 18 greens and in addition to total redesigns of those greens they replaced the old grass with new grass. The PGA of America calls the changes "extensive".

To add to your comment, Valhalla re did all 18 greens and in addition to total redesigns of those greens they replaced the old grass with new grass. The PGA of America calls the changes "extensive".

Ahh was not aware. Good call. Wait was that Nicklaus who re-did it recently?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Watch Tiger win next week at Firestone and everyone starts going nuts saying he's back and look out at Valhalla but then flames out after showing life the first 2 days. I would like to see him do well at the WGC but winning the week before majors rarely works out.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 1826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!