IGNORED

While We're Young?

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 3536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know there are probably a ton of threads about slow play, but I can't understand why this has become such a problem. I live in Florida and right now is the "off season". I don't even try to play during the winter months because of the cost and pace of play (sorry snow birds). It sucks because our courses down here are generally in the best shape in the winter months. Actually the cost does not discourage me as much as the pace of play. I am usually hovering between a scratch to 3 handicap which actually works against me because I am always waiting to hit a shot. Usually in the summer I can get around the course in 2 hours if I"m riding and about 2 hrs 45 minutes if I walk. But even this summer is has become ridiculous. My wife and I played on Saturday and literally drove around two groups (and skipped three holes) because they won't let you play through and they had no business even being on the course. The twosome ahead of us hit two or three balls on every tee and about the same out of the fairway. No one has any idea of golf etiquette any more. Yesterday we decided to walk late in the afternoon and of course got stuck behind a threesome who couldn't play and again wouldn't let us play through. One good point has come of this, however, is that the wife has finally agreed that it may be time to look into joining a private club to get away from this crap. I guess my point is, golf is not growing because of the time it takes to play more than anything else. Rangers are nonexistent because course are not willing to pay any one to do it.  They don't usually do anything anyway except tell people to please pick up the pace. Maybe if you start throwing people off the course, others will see that and start playing faster?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you ever call the Pro Shop in these situations?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yep...actually on Saturday the guy in the shop was the only one there. He said his cart guy didn't show up so there was no one else there to do anything until 1:00. I think many courses down here are hurting for revenue (as well as private) and just don't have the resources to hire staff to ranger/work in the shop or cart barn.

My bag:

You're right, there are a ton of pace-of-play threads, I won't rehash those, but I'll just say that you'll need to pick your club carefully.... If you think that a private club insulates you from slow play and boorish behavior, you may be very disappointed. You'll find 5-somes, members playing with their kids, guys who jump out on the spur of the moment to play 3 quick holes to settle a bet, and the same range of skill levels that you find at most public course....the difference being that they're all members, and as such, many feel entitled to use the course however the see fit. The more tenured members especially....and make no mistake, the club pro, GM, or rangers, are seldom going to be sympathetic to the "new guy" who complains that he can't get around in 2:15 on Saturday morning, that the twice-weekly ladies group won't let him through, or that Dr Smith and the club treasurer are playing as a 5-some.....and not a particularly quick one at that. I've been a member at several clubs and am a fan of private clubs. But they are what they are, and what they're usually not, is an empty course that you can run around as fast as you like.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for the course. You start throwing people off you lose revenue. You let them all go slow you lose revenue. People are slow though. Yesterday morning I played a 3 some at 750. Weather forecast 30 to 40% chance of rain all day so course was wide open. Twosome tried to rush to tee of in from of us but didn't make it quick enough and looked disappointed that we went off. We were on the par 5 4th wondering where they were. They pulled to the box as we were finishing the hole up. We played the par 3 5th and teed off on the par 4 6th which runs back down the 4th fairway and they were just pulling up to the green with a foursome waiting on them, lol. It became a running joke for the day of where we thought the twosome was on the course.

James

I think people are just golf etiquette savvy anymore. I grew up caddying so I learned the rules. I guess times have changed and people just don't bother to learn. Maybe that also keeps people away from the course because they are not sure of the rules. I"m not looking for a 2.5 hour round of golf but I don't think it needs to be one minute over four hours. You can play bad golf quickly. I have also concluded (thru my tee times at local courses) that they either over book or just cram people in without tee times and that backs up play even more. MANY times I have shown up a tee time and had to wait in line on the tee to go a half hour later.

My bag:

2 hours riding and 2:45 walking?  The only way you'll see this is owning a first tee time somewhere, playing on an empty course or buying your OWN course!

I play regularly with my wife who shoots high-90s low-100s on courses with hacks a plenty.  We finished a somewhat 'slow' round yesterday afternoon in 4:10.  We waited on several tees; waited on some fairways as well.  The dad/son team in front of us weren't good players and at one point could see two 4-somes ahead of them.  Nowhere for anyone to go, really.  A comfortably paced round for the wife and me is 3.5 hours.  At this pace, we a) wait on no tee box; b) don't wait in any fairways; c) nobody hitting into us; d) we're not hitting into anybody, either.

Not really getting the 'we have to be done in 2 hours or the pace of play is too slow' After hanging at this site for a good while, I'm convinced the 'speed golfer' set (OP included) should open their own course or rent one out one day a week for yourself and the rest of the speed golfers.  Public links or private courses are all the same:  If you're looking to play a 2 hour round, you're going to be disappointed.  It is what it is.  Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoyable, relaxing and an opportunity to enjoy the company of those in your group.

Relax.  Take a deep breath.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I have also concluded (thru my tee times at local courses) that they either over book or just cram people in without tee times and that backs up play even more. MANY times I have shown up a tee time and had to wait in line on the tee to go a half hour later.

This is definitely an issue at some public courses. I know of one not too far from me that uses the tee sheet with 8-minute slots only until it's full, and then they start writing names in between the lines. They'll never tell anybody that they're full and can't get them on because the desire for green fees trumps everything else.

John

I see where you're coming from.

While I am fully aware that you don't always finish up in 2.5 hrs (and I think you realize that too) it really grinds my gears when slower groups don't let you play through.  Everyone should get out and enjoy themselves on the course and I love when new people get involved in the hobby but they need to be mindful of faster players.

I am very lucky to not have had this issue very often at my club.  Maybe its southern hospitality.  :)

I'm about five inches from being an outstanding golfer.  That's the difference my left ear is from my right.  -  Ben Crenshaw

Golf is like a love affair.  If you don't take it seriously its no fun.  If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.  -  Arthur Daley

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive  -  Arnold Palmer

Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues and some on golf courses  -  Adlai Stevenson

Yes...I'm not expecting to play a 2.5 hour round. But walking with the wife, we can do it 3:15 easily. I am lucky being off in the summer (teacher) so I'm able to play when the courses are not busy. I usually tee off first in the mornings (with other players or sometimes by myself) and get around in 2:45 walking. I guess my real beef is that most people don't think to let faster players play through or just don't know any better. I like to play in foursomes when ever possible because it moves along better but when it's slower but that is not always possible. Unfortunately  most of the players that I see just don't know any rules and think they should act the tour guys so they make four practice swings and then hit the ball 30 feet. Yesterday they guys all sat in the carts and waited for one guy to hit instead of playing "ready golf". Like I said earlier, you can play bad golf quickly. On Saturday we followed a man and a women and watched the women whiff three times on the first tee. We followed them for five holes and they would not let us play through or catch up the foursome in front of them so we could get through them. We finally just skipped a few holes and went around everyone. Maybe pros should also teach basic golf course etiquette as well as swing and grip?

My bag:

You're right, there are a ton of pace-of-play threads, I won't rehash those, but I'll just say that you'll need to pick your club carefully....

If you think that a private club insulates you from slow play and boorish behavior, you may be very disappointed. You'll find 5-somes, members playing with their kids, guys who jump out on the spur of the moment to play 3 quick holes to settle a bet, and the same range of skill levels that you find at most public course....the difference being that they're all members, and as such, many feel entitled to use the course however the see fit. The more tenured members especially....and make no mistake, the club pro, GM, or rangers, are seldom going to be sympathetic to the "new guy" who complains that he can't get around in 2:15 on Saturday morning, that the twice-weekly ladies group won't let him through, or that Dr Smith and the club treasurer are playing as a 5-some.....and not a particularly quick one at that.

I've been a member at several clubs and am a fan of private clubs. But they are what they are, and what they're usually not, is an empty course that you can run around as fast as you like.

I concur.  I like belonging to a private club but it doesn't solve the slow play problem.  In fact I think in some ways it is worse as the members own the club.

Butch

Getting around in 2:30-3 hours with nobody stopping you is no problem, but I rarely get that large windows during the summer. I never expect such short rounds when I bump into larger groups, but when it's creeping over 4 hours, it starts getting to me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I've been playing a lot of twilight golf lately at courses around here because with the days so long, it's super cheap, and it keeps me out of the midday heat. The past two weeks, I've been able to get 27 holes of golf in starting around 3:15, and it's been revelatory to me how lousy people are at pace of play. Two week ago, I got out at 3:15. We finished 18 holes at 7:45. I went back to the 10th tee and played #10 alone, before having someone in a cart catch up with me at 11 tee and ask to play with me, which I gladly welcomed. Even with him taking 5 minutes to tell a long (but enjoyable) story about how he got his new clubs on the 15th fairway, we finished the back 9 holes at 9p, so an hour and fifteen for 9 holes. Mind you, I'm walking the whole time and we didn't exactly rush, but on the greens I took one look at the putt and hit it. My best 9 hole score ever on a full length par-36.

Similarly, this week, I got out at about the same time, but the pace of play was brutal. I started as a single, but the threesome ahead didn't seem amenable to my joining up. Luckily, a twosome behind me caught up at 2nd tee, and we made a threesome. After the 9th hole, one guy left and another twosome caught up at the turn and we had a foursome that was keeping up with the glacial pace of the groups ahead. All told, 4 hours and 45 minutes. I felt like playing some more, so I played the front 9 again. I teed off alone exactly at 8p, and I was averaging 5 minutes per hole for the first 5 holes, even with skipping 4 and 5 because there was a group ahead of me that I didn't want to wait on, and then coming back to those after finishing off #9. I had a cart and was jogging up the fairways, but I had a club in hand before I stopped at the ball because I was figuring out yardage and shot choices as I was getting to my ball. With all of this, I still shot one shot better than I did the first time through that day and finished 9 holes in 56 minutes. I was spent from the running, but I'm thrilled I finished before dark.

Point is, playing fast doesn't mean playing worse, nor does walking mean you take longer than riding. Also, all the commercials in the world about "While we're young" and "Tee if forward" aren't nearly as good at speeding up the pace as a setting sun, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I really wish people would play the right tees for their game. The group ahead of me yesterday, a group of older Asian gentlemen, were playing the blues and... they shouldn't have been playing the blues. On a par 3 that was 210 from the blues, all three hit fairway metals, and all were at least 30 yards short of the green. One topped his tee shot (and since we were always waiting on them all day, I saw him top 4 other tee shots the rest of the day). Meanwhile, I had a 7i from 161 on the white tees. I probably have the distance to play the blues, but I don't like hitting hybrids into every green. From the whites, this course is 6200 and that pushes my comfort zone. From the blues, it's 6600, with tons of big uphill shots. It would be great if vanity gave way to better judgment.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Just got back from a tournament. 6 hours and 45 minutes to finish 18.

How do you play any sort of decent golf if it takes that long?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Please explain this to me:  Why do you guys who PREFER to play a round of golf in 2:15 think the rest of the course should STOP playing and allow you to play through?  Do I want to stop and wait 10-15 minutes for you to play though?  No, I don't.  Wait your turn.  Get there earlier.  Schedule the FIRST tee-time of the day.  And don't think the majority of players are going to 'move aside' just for you.  We'd like to finish our round before dark, too.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Please explain this to me:  Why do you guys who PREFER to play a round of golf in 2:15 think the rest of the course should STOP playing and allow you to play through?  Do I want to stop and wait 10-15 minutes for you to play though?  No, I don't.  Wait your turn.  Get there earlier.  Schedule the FIRST tee-time of the day.  And don't think the majority of players are going to 'move aside' just for you.  We'd like to finish our round before dark, too.

dave

Because its part of etiquette. If you're holding up the players behind you, let them through. Pretty simple really.

If the guy is playing faster than you, it wont take him 15 minutes to play through....

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 3536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!