IGNORED

Paralysis by Analysis

Note: This thread is 3559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anybody put any stock into the old swing cliche " paralysis of analysis"? How about the "KISS" swing method? (keep it simple stupid)

Myself, I tend to keep my swing thoughts more towards the KISS side of my swing, with just  a smidgen of the POA thrown in as needed.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Absolutely.

I only use one swing thought at a time and I don't obsess over making my swing look a certain way. I worry about hitting the ball first and hitting it straight(relatively) first and foremost.

If I'm playing good my swing can look like Jim Furyk meets Allen Doyle for all I care.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I think paralysis by analysis is another way of saying you're working on the wrong things. If the analysis is good -- simple, explained well, nailing the problem and the fix -- then you're good to go. But people see a video camera out, maybe a training aid, and the golfer sucking it up and playing bad. They conclude "paralysis by analysis. Better to keep it simple." But the reality is they're working on the wrong stuff. Because what does "keep it simple" mean if the simple thought or idea in the golfer's head isn't their priority? They'll get worse going that route too.

Nail the biggest problem and how to fix it, and analysis/keeping it simple will end up working, no matter how one decides to look at the process. Just my two cents.

I guess in the end it all depends on how good the player is here we're talking about. Tour pro level, just believing in yourself and using one or no swing thoughts is probably not such a bad idea because they're already amazing.

• Upvote 1

Constantine

I think paralysis by analysis is another way of saying you're working on the wrong things. If the analysis is good -- simple, explained well, nailing the problem and the fix -- then you're good to go. But people see a video camera out, maybe a training aid, and the golfer sucking it up and playing bad. They conclude "paralysis by analysis. Better to keep it simple." But the reality is they're working on the wrong stuff. Because what does "keep it simple" mean if the simple thought or idea in the golfer's head isn't their priority? They'll get worse going that route too.

Nail the biggest problem and how to fix it, and analysis/keeping it simple will end up working, no matter how one decides to look at the process. Just my two cents.

I guess in the end it all depends on how good the player is here we're talking about. Tour pro level, just believing in yourself and using one or no swing thoughts is probably not such a bad idea because they're already amazing.

Actually, I dunno because it can still be a struggle to learn the new motion if the analysis is correct.

"Paralysis by analysis" could also just as easily be an annoying buzz phrase used frequently in the golfing world, for whatever reason, to explain poor play. :-D

Constantine

Actually, I dunno because it can still be a struggle to learn the new motion if the analysis is correct.

"Paralysis by analysis" could also just as easily be an annoying buzz phrase used frequently in the golfing world, for whatever reason, to explain poor play.

I think it's more about trying to think mechanically when trying to execute athletically. Usually resulting in a loss of speed and dynamics.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

BE THE STUPID MONKEY!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think it's more about trying to think mechanically when trying to execute athletically. Usually resulting in a loss of speed and dynamics.

This is the most logical explanation here.. [quote name="saevel25" url="/t/75959/paralysis-of-analysis/0_10#post_1024086"]BE THE STUPID MONKEY!!  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/67401/the-virtue-of-being-a-stupid-monkey-and-how-it-can-help-your-golf-game layout=block] [/CONTENTEMBED] [/quote] Isn't this related to practice? In terms of swing thoughts I don't see the correlation! Also, I really have no issue with doing crazy analysis of your swing and even documenting your 100 flaws.. The most important part is really to not work on more than 1 or 2 of them at a time at the most on a priority basis, because most likely that will address the other flaws you are worried about without even working on them!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I remember reading a thread either here or on WRX a while back about a guy that had a dozen or so thoughts that he used every time he hit a shot and as you might imagine, he was playing like crap. To me, that's the textbook definition of "Paralysis by Analysis". I've seen/read about a few other instances like that too.

I certainly wouldn't consider someone using a video camera and a single training aid as "Paralysis by Analysis". Now, if that person were dressed up like Rene Russo on Tin Cup with 20 gadgets hanging off their body, then that's different.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

"Paralysis by analysis" could also just as easily be an annoying buzz phrase used frequently in the golfing world, for whatever reason, to explain poor play.

Could be, yea. I guess it's a phrase with several interpretations... Like maybe too many concerns swirling around in one's head and then not slowing down or something to nail the piece?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I remember reading a thread either here or on WRX a while back about a guy that had a dozen or so thoughts that he used every time he hit a shot and as you might imagine, he was playing like crap. To me, that's the textbook definition of "Paralysis by Analysis". I've seen/read about a few other instances like that too.

I certainly wouldn't consider someone using a video camera and a single training aid as "Paralysis by Analysis". Now, if that person were dressed up like Rene Russo on Tin Cup with 20 gadgets hanging off their body, then that's different.

True, true. Lots of applicable situations that fall under the umbrella of "paralysis by analysis."

Constantine

Keeping it simple is a good way to go ;-)

I think too many golfers (I've been guilty many times) get distracted by tips, whether in a magazine or a tour player sharing a swing thought he used the week he won. To improve you have to figure out your priority piece and make that better. The other issue with golfers is when they do get good information they "try it out" and if they don't hit good shots right away or it feels uncomfortable, they ditch it and start searching for something else.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!