IGNORED

Dick's Sporting Goods Fires In-Store Golf Pros

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In a big corporate company where most employees are faceless names and the company makes decisions without taking employees into consideration, I think the notion that an employee shouldn't put what's best for their careers first and instead put the employers needs above all else is irresponsible of the employee.

If an employee doesn't agree with way the employer does buisness, they need to look for a new job.I would assume these golf pros accepted their jobs knowing how Dick's does buisness, and what was expected of them. Retail sales is far different from working at a golf course. At the course, the pro might be the guy in charge, but at a retail store, he is just another employee that had better do what the employer expects.If working for that employer does not fit in their carrer path, they need to get out. I would bet that most of the pros working at Dick's.were not looking for a long career in retail, but were working there while waiting for an opportunity to open at a course.

If an employee doesn't agree with way the employer does buisness, they need to look for a new job.I would assume these golf pros accepted their jobs knowing how Dick's does buisness, and what was expected of them. Retail sales is far different from working at a golf course. At the course, the pro might be the guy in charge, but at a retail store, he is just another employee that had better do what the employer expects.If working for that employer does not fit in their carrer path, they need to get out. I would bet that most of the pros working at Dick's.were not looking for a long career in retail, but were working there while waiting for an opportunity to open at a course.

Maybe in an employers ideal world that might be the case but people have to pay rent/mortgage, eat, etc.

I wouldn't doubt that some of those that were let go were using Dick's for their own purposes (maybe waiting for a opportunity at a golf course like you said) just like Dick's was using them for their own purposes (presumably to try and generate additional revenue).

To expect an employee that presumably isn't getting paid a lot to put the company's interest ahead of their own career interest isn't something that you'd see a lot of.  In that kind of situation, both the employer and employee is likely to serve their own interests first.

Unless an employee feels vested with the company, whether it's by being paid a good amount of money or through some other mechanism, I think many employees will look out for their own career interests first.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe in an employers ideal world that might be the case but people have to pay rent/mortgage, eat, etc. I wouldn't doubt that some of those that were let go were using Dick's for their own purposes (maybe waiting for a opportunity at a golf course like you said) just like Dick's was using them for their own purposes (presumably to try and generate additional revenue). To expect an employee that presumably isn't getting paid a lot to put the company's interest ahead of their own career interest isn't something that you'd see a lot of.  In that kind of situation, both the employer and employee is likely to serve their own interests first. Unless an employee feels vested with the company, whether it's by being paid a good amount of money or through some other mechanism, I think many employees will look out for their own career interests first.

in today's job market, I would expect employees to look out for themselves first. Companies are always going to try to find a way to cut costs and lay offs always make stock prices go up. In my situation, people only want me for my contacts. After a year or two, they will always feel that they can keep 90% of them with cheaper labor. That is why I refuse to accept a position that requires a non - compete clause. Their product isn't what got them a customer, it was me.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

That is why I refuse to accept a position that requires a non - compete clause. Their product isn't what got them a customer, it was me.

No need to work for any company.....after all, you don't need any product to sell.  You have yourself! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

It all depends on what skills you can bring to the table and the market for them.It's probably a useful thing to think of an employer as more of a customer. Nothing lasts forever these days and employment with any one company is one of them.

Do your best to delivery quality to the employer (customer) while you work for them, but don't put your butt on the line for them either. Always look for better opportunities and be assured that the company is doing likewise.

No need to work for any company.....after all, you don't need any product to sell.  You have yourself!   ;-)

probably a good thing that I am self employed and contract myself out. ;)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Not surprised by this. Most of the Dick's stores I go to their fitting system is horrible.  Half the time their monitors do not work, pro had limited knowledge on the fitting process, were not very interested in talking to you about their product lines and trying to sell you something, and product line is limited (mostly Callaway and TM).  Only go there now to buy apparel or balls.  Stores like Golfsmith. PGA Superstore, Golf Headquarters, etc. and nicer ranges are much better options if you really want a good custom fitting experience and ability to get a broader selection of quality products.  Dicks is more for the weekend warrior who has limited knowledge or care for the correct equipment and all.

I will say I have ran into some good pros at Dicks.  Also ran into several who really were useless and was just there for a paycheck.

• Administrator

Q for @iacas:  Is there a PGA pro code of conduct?  Would the kind of solicitation described by motsco violate that code of conduct?  Or might this fill into some kind of unwritten rule that PGA pros follow?  It seems a little crappy to me for one PGA pro to solicit someone already taking lessons from a different pro .

I don't think the codes are specifically spelled out: http://pdf.pgalinks.com/regmemos/CodeofEthicsGuidelines.pdf .

Here are some examples:

1) Abusing the privileges extended to them, including playing without an invitation.
2) Causing public embarrassment to fellow professional.
3) Applying for or otherwise seeking or soliciting employment in an unprofessional manner.
4) Conduction themselves in such a manner as to adversely impact the reputation of other members or the association.
5) Conduction business in an unethical manner.
6) Engaging in any conduct that is contray to or inconsistent with the policies of the Assoc.

Basically, they're broad, and open to interpretation.

You can't show up at another PGA pro's range and begin soliciting business. But it's perfectly fine for me to mention that I teach people who are members at Golf Evolution. It's also fine to mention it to people with whom I play, or know.

It's not unethical to offer to give someone a lesson, or point out that you do them. You cross that line when you do something like steal his email list, or solicit that business on his property, or something like that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not surprised by this. Most of the Dick's stores I go to their fitting system is horrible.  Half the time their monitors do not work, pro had limited knowledge on the fitting process, were not very interested in talking to you about their product lines and trying to sell you something, and product line is limited (mostly Callaway and TM).  Only go there now to buy apparel or balls.  Stores like Golfsmith. PGA Superstore, Golf Headquarters, etc. and nicer ranges are much better options if you really want a good custom fitting experience and ability to get a broader selection of quality products.  Dicks is more for the weekend warrior who has limited knowledge or care for the correct equipment and all.

I will say I have ran into some good pros at Dicks.  Also ran into several who really were useless and was just there for a paycheck.

I would guess this is pretty consistent with many peoples experiences.  I doubt many people even knew these guys were Golf pro's, especially given I could almost never find anyone in the golf department to assist me.  I wonder much these guys made because I'd expect a golf pro would command at least $40,000 so that's a significant savings for Dicks when you figure in their fully burdened costs to the company.

Joe Paradiso

I don't think the codes are specifically spelled out: http://pdf.pgalinks.com/regmemos/CodeofEthicsGuidelines.pdf .

Here are some examples:

1) Abusing the privileges extended to them, including playing without an invitation.

2) Causing public embarrassment to fellow professional.

3) Applying for or otherwise seeking or soliciting employment in an unprofessional manner.

4) Conduction themselves in such a manner as to adversely impact the reputation of other members or the association.

5) Conduction business in an unethical manner.

6) Engaging in any conduct that is contray to or inconsistent with the policies of the Assoc.

Basically, they're broad, and open to interpretation.

You can't show up at another PGA pro's range and begin soliciting business. But it's perfectly fine for me to mention that I teach people who are members at Golf Evolution. It's also fine to mention it to people with whom I play, or know.

It's not unethical to offer to give someone a lesson, or point out that you do them. You cross that line when you do something like steal his email list, or solicit that business on his property, or something like that.

Thanks Erik, that is what I was looking for.  So in the instant case I imagine the pro at Dick's is OK, particularly since the solicitation wasn't made directly by him but rather by a fellow employee.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
Thanks Erik, that is what I was looking for.  So in the instant case I imagine the pro at Dick's is OK, particularly since the solicitation wasn't made directly by him but rather by a fellow employee.

I think he'd be fine even if he made the solicitation. The golfer is in the store. They offer lessons as a service (I'm not even sure they did that…).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Brick and Mortar retailers can't compete with the online retailers. Let's see, do I pay $200 for last year's  TM Rocketballz Stage 2 fairway wood or $89 online with free shipping at Rock Bottom Golf?  Of course, my  $89 purchase of this club got me a stock "Stiff" shaft that is too whippy for me and feels and plays like a "Regular."  Maybe a demo at Dick's would have been the way to go. But I doubt they would have had any X-Stiffs on the shelf. Would have still had to buy it at Rock Bottom.  Only suckers or people with lots of disposable income pay retail.....that's not me.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I agree completely with cutshot878 why pay retail when you can get a better deal online? Sometimes its cheaper to order the wrong shaft and just have it replaced. The only thing to be weary of is counterfeit equipment, Ive heard a few people say they've bought from well known reputable sites (who have psychical locations) and took their club(s) to The PGA Superstore and were told they were counterfeit. The Dicks closest to me is equivalent to shopping at Big 5 or Target for golf equipment/apperal. If I'm going to make the drive to a better Dicks I might as well just go across the street to Golfsmith which always a club fitter available no appointment needed and still a MUCH better selection

Brick and Mortar retailers can't compete with the online retailers. Let's see, do I pay $200 for last year's  TM Rocketballz Stage 2 fairway wood or $89 online with free shipping at Rock Bottom Golf?  Of course, my  $89 purchase of this club got me a stock "Stiff" shaft that is too whippy for me and feels and plays like a "Regular."  Maybe a demo at Dick's would have been the way to go. But I doubt they would have had any X-Stiffs on the shelf. Would have still had to buy it at Rock Bottom.  Only suckers or people with lots of disposable income pay retail.....that's not me.

A prime example of the savings to be had online would be the experience I had in Golf Galaxy last week. I pull in to their parking lot at the same time as a guy driving a BMW M6. We happen to go to the checkout at the same time where I have one dozen of Titleist NXT Tour S and I'm in line behind him. I see that he has some shirts and shorts in his arm. I'll admit I was curious on the price and the guy say s"Okay, your total is 546.. and some change. Damn near $550 for what looked to be about 4 shirts and some shorts. Maybe 3-4 outfits in total for nearly $550. Clearly the money was not a problem seeing as how he pulled in with about a $120,000+ car. I couldn't help but be a little shocked though because I saw the same Adidas Puremotion shirts that he was buying on one of the bigger online retailers for like $20.00 each, rather than the $69.99 that he probably paid. To each his own, but in certain cases I'm going to try and save big where I can. I'd rather put that additional $40 per shirt into my kid's college fund or something, rather than hand it over to Dick's/GG.

I agree completely with cutshot878 why pay retail when you can get a better deal online? Sometimes its cheaper to order the wrong shaft and just have it replaced. The only thing to be weary of is counterfeit equipment, Ive heard a few people say they've bought from well known reputable sites (who have psychical locations) and took their club(s) to The PGA Superstore and were told they were counterfeit. The Dicks closest to me is equivalent to shopping at Big 5 or Target for golf equipment/apperal. If I'm going to make the drive to a better Dicks I might as well just go across the street to Golfsmith which always a club fitter available no appointment needed and still a MUCH better selection

I bought a Taylormade Superfast 2.O TP Driver at Edwin Watts online store two years ago. It was offered as "New" and "in original packaging" but it arrived with a big scuff mark on the face. It didn't even have the type of shaft (Matrix HD-6) that was supposed to come factory. It had been reshafted. Why I didn't return it I will never know.  The clank it made when struck sounded nothing like another "genuine" TM driver I owned. It had to be counterfit. Chinese copy.   I never bought from Edwin Watts again. I've had better luck with Rock Bottom and "In the Hole."  The prices that Global Golf charges for used golf equipment seems ridiculous.  Caveat Emptor.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I purchase things online when they are cheaper and it's the same product. I have purchased from global golf and 2nd swing. Both have been great even with new items. Got my Nike vrsx clubs for a great price and my driver and 3 wood used and saved at least 50%.

I never knew they had PGA pros at dicks. When they said "golf pros" on their commercial, I just assumed they were exaggerating ...like when commercials say to go see the lending pros or the home pros or whatever, lol. They should have said "PGA pros". In any case, I guess I can see why they changing direction. When I shop at a place like dicks I don't expect or need a golf pro to help me. It's just not part of what I associate with a big box sporting goods shopping experience. I'm sure the pros were good but I'd honestly be skeptical of anybody but my own teacher helping me choose clubs. Not that I even do that - I just buy used clubs based on research alone because new ones not worth the $$$$

Sadly, Golf is on the the decline and you will see it more and more. It has to do with the economic climate, costs and time spent. People are no longer inclined to spend their money so frivolously for casual sport. We here are becoming the amateur minority.

Note: This thread is 3522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!