IGNORED

2016 Olympic Rankings

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Two years out the rankings are as follows:

http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/ogr-men/

Search:
This Week Player NOC
1 Adam Scott AUS
2 Rory McIlroy IRL
3 Henrik Stenson SWE
4 Justin Rose GBR
5 Sergio Garcia ESP
6 Bubba Watson USA
7 Matt Kuchar USA
8 Jason Day AUS
9 Tiger Woods USA
10 Jim Furyk USA
11 Martin Kaymer GER
12 Hideki Matsuyama JPN
13 Graeme McDowell IRL
14 Luke Donald GBR
15 Victor Dubuisson FRA
16 Thomas Bjorn DEN
17 Charl Schwartzel RSA
18 Miguel Jimenez ESP
19 Thongchai Jaidee THA
20 Graham DeLaet CAN
21 Jonas Blixt SWE
22 Francesco Molinari ITA
23 Joost Luiten NED
24 Mikko Ilonen FIN
25 Louis Oosthuizen RSA
26 Angel Cabrera ARG
27 Koumei Oda JPN
28 Bernd Wiesberger AUT
29 Matteo Manassero ITA
30 K.J. Choi KOR
31 Brendon de Jonge ZIM
32 Anirban Lahiri IND
33 Hyung-Sung Kim KOR
34 Thorbjorn Olesen DEN
35 Fabrizio Zanotti PAR
36 David Hearn CAN
37 Kiradech Aphibarnrat THA
38 Alexander Levy FRA
39 Marcel Siem GER
40 Felipe Aguilar CHI
41 Emiliano Grillo ARG
42 Nicolas Colsaerts BEL
43 Mohd Rahman BAN
44 Shiv Kapur IND
45 Carlos Ortiz MEX
46 WC Liang CHN
47 Robert-Jan Derksen NED
48 Wu Ashun CHN
49 Vijay Singh FIJ
50 Camilo Villegas COL
51 Danny Lee NZL
52 Tim Wilkinson NZL
53 Chan Shih-chang TPE
54 Antonio Lascuna PHI
55 Adilson da Silva BRA
56 Juvic Pagunsan PHI
57 Jhonattan Vegas VEN
58 Roope Kakko FIN
59 Ricardo Santos POR
60 Thomas Pieters BEL

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Where's Phil? lol

Didn't make the cut. [Quote]The IOC has restricted the IGF to an Olympic field of 60 players for each of the men’s and women's competition. The IGF will utilise the official world golf rankings to create the Olympic golf rankings as a method of determining eligibility. The top-15 world-ranked players will be eligible for the Olympics, with a limit of four players from a given country. Beyond the top-15, players will be eligible based on the world rankings, with a maximum of two eligible players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top-15.[/Quote]

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

So in other words, if you're American you pretty much have to be in the top 10 of the OWGR to make it; it's gonna be tough competition for sure.

-Rich

So in other words, if you're American you pretty much have to be in the top 10 of the OWGR to make it; it's gonna be tough competition for sure.

Not exactly. Only the top 4 Americans make it, assuming they are all in the top 15 of the OWGR. They can be 11-14 and still be in. Also, in the unlikely event that there are no Americans in the top 15, the two highest ranked Americans will make it. America can also, theoretically, not be represented, but it's so improbable that it's not even really worth discussing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Phil is gonna be left off the Olympic roster at this time? lol what a joke. And DJ. Gimme a break. They need big names to sell this thing.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Not exactly. Only the top 4 Americans make it, assuming they are all in the top 15 of the OWGR. They can be 11-14 and still be in.

I know; I was speaking with the assumption, albeit a premature one, that there will be four Americans in the top 10. I think they decide using the rankings as of June 20, 2014 though, so a lot can happen I suppose.

-Rich

Phil is gonna be left off the Olympic roster at this time? lol what a joke. And DJ. Gimme a break. They need big names to sell this thing.

They've got to have at least some sort of an objective criteria based on a qualifying list. You start cherry-picking big names in order to "sell" it and it truly will be a joke.

John

When they discover they're expected to live in an athletes village, speak with other competitors, and queue in line to eat from a canteen, I can see quite a few saying 'no thanks'.

Quite apart from the fact that golf shouldn't be in the Olympics, the most sensible thing to do in finest traditions of Open Olympic sport is to simply ask the appropriate national Olympic Federation to organise their own team in association with the sport governing body

When they discover they're expected to live in an athletes village, speak with other competitors, and queue in line to eat from a canteen, I can see quite a few saying 'no thanks'.  Quite apart from the fact that golf shouldn't be in the Olympics, the most sensible thing to do in finest traditions of Open Olympic sport is to simply ask the appropriate national Olympic Federation to organise their own team in association with the sport governing body

Well other than the fact that it's going to be a pretty weak field, why shouldn't golf be an Olympic sport?

Bill

My Swing Thread

It would be a shame if Tiger and Phil didn't make the US team. They are the two most deserving players in this era.

Well other than the fact that it's going to be a pretty weak field, why shouldn't golf be an Olympic sport?

The Olympics should be the pinnacle of achievement for the sport concerned, the absolute zenith and most sought after prize available. In golf it isn't. That simple. Golf therefore degrades the Olympics

And before you say what about Tennis, Football, and Basketball, neither should they either .... unless, they're being played by amateurs for whom winning an Olympic gold medal means something (as it is in boxing). Golfers and tennis players are amongst some of the richest sports people on the planet, they're miles removed from the original idea of the modern Olympics (which despite being creditted to the French, was actually a British invention heralding from the Shropshire village of Much Wenlock  which Baron de Coubertin just happened to visit)

There are other sports that have world championships of course, but an Olympic medal is on parallel with these in things like Rowing, Cycling, Badminton, Sailing

Too many non-Olympics sports have made it into the Olympics, others have mercifully been lost (like game shooting!) but I'd start by culling those which don't really have the Olympic Gold as its principal accolade

Actually bring back game shooting, that would be a hoot. Although the fried doves from 1988 has come perilously close (no longer allowed to ue doves in the opening ceremony after that fiasco)

Fair point @FarawayFairways .   I do miss the Olympics being all amateur.  I am lukewarm at best about golf in the Olympics as well.  I would ad that there are many sports that don't have professional version that do not belong in the Olympics either.  Rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming, curling (forgive me @Ernest Jones ).  I don't see these falling into the Olympic ideal of greatest athlete either.  There are many more, including shooting sports, that don't require you to be a great athlete.

But back on topic, I believe even wealthy athletes will still be very proud to represent their country in golf, including Tiger, Phil or whoever makes the team.  The original Olympians in the first few modern games were wealthy men for the most part.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!