IGNORED

Are you ready for some NFL Football? 2014 Edition.

phan52
Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That was the worst play call in the history of football considering the Hawks have maybe the 3rd best rusher in the NFL who never fumbles and had been picking up positive yards in every rush that day as well as the best running QB in the league. If you want to trick it up, rush Wilson around the end. Still highly questionable but much safer than a slant pass into all of that traffic. Reminded me of the Cowboys over the past 5 years. Garrett always tried to out think the other team and it rarely works. New OC this season focused on the run and would have jammed Lynch up the middle 3 more times. It was a shocking end, much like many of the playoff games this season. All credit to Brady for the 4th qtr comeback, I thought they were dead. He is definitely one of the greatest of all time.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the worst play call in the history of football considering the Hawks have maybe the 3rd best rusher in the NFL who never fumbles and had been picking up positive yards in every rush that day as well as the best running QB in the league. If you want to trick it up, rush Wilson around the end. Still highly questionable but much safer than a slant pass into all of that traffic.

Reminded me of the Cowboys over the past 5 years. Garrett always tried to out think the other team and it rarely works. New OC this season focused on the run and would have jammed Lynch up the middle 3 more times.

It was a shocking end, much like many of the playoff games this season. All credit to Brady for the 4th qtr comeback, I thought they were dead. He is definitely one of the greatest of all time.

Best running QB in the league who actually has the most fumble attempts for a QB, but he's never "lost" a fumble because the Seahawks have recovered every one of them. Just an interesting fact on that one.

I get the play call. You have under 1 minute left, and your letting the clock bleed on that 2nd down play. You call a pass play knowing at worst you stop the clock. You know they have 8-9 guys in the box and have a 1 on 1 miss match with your BIG 6'5" tall receiver on their rookie DB. 99% of the time that is a TD or incomplete pass.

I don't like the play call. I am not going to rip Carroll for it. All we are doing is just assuming Lynch would have scored in the other scenario.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yea I think it was a good call. Quick slant to a WR who had a career night versus a rookie DB, yea give me that match up all night. Especially when the WR is a BIG guy for a WR. If he was a step faster then he could have used his body to block out the DB and maybe get a Pass Interference call.

:beer:

I also find it amusing how people are saying that the OC needs to be fired because of the "worst play call in history" when that was the same OC who called the last play of the first half.  Another possible outcome of that play includes Wilson hesitating or lobbing it and time runs out and that becomes "the worst play call in history" because they come away with nothing and are possibly not even in it at the end.  Monday morning QBs amuse me because they don't seem to be able to see how very fine their line is between genius and idiot or their fine line between gutsy and stupid.

Plus, Seattle didn't really deserve to be there in the first place and Butler didn't deserve to be the goat either, after that ridiculously lucky play 2 plays earlier that he covered perfectly.

Also, I'm a little biased towards the ending that happened because:

I'll still take New England though, and, for fun, let's guess .....

Patriots 27, Seahawks 24

:beer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

That was the worst play call in the history of football considering the Hawks have maybe the 3rd best rusher in the NFL who never fumbles and had been picking up positive yards in every rush that day as well as the best running QB in the league. If you want to trick it up, rush Wilson around the end. Still highly questionable but much safer than a slant pass into all of that traffic.

Reminded me of the Cowboys over the past 5 years. Garrett always tried to out think the other team and it rarely works. New OC this season focused on the run and would have jammed Lynch up the middle 3 more times.

It was a shocking end, much like many of the playoff games this season. All credit to Brady for the 4th qtr comeback, I thought they were dead. He is definitely one of the greatest of all time.

Best running QB in the league who actually has the most fumble attempts for a QB, but he's never "lost" a fumble because the Seahawks have recovered every one of them. Just an interesting fact on that one.

I get the play call. You have under 1 minute left, and your letting the clock bleed on that 2nd down play. You call a pass play knowing at worst you stop the clock. You know they have 8-9 guys in the box and have a 1 on 1 miss match with your BIG 6'5" tall receiver on their rookie DB. 99% of the time that is a TD or incomplete pass.

I don't like the play call. I am not going to rip Carroll for it. All we are doing is just assuming Lynch would have scored in the other scenario.

Actually, at worst, you throw an interception.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Best running QB in the league who actually has the most fumble attempts for a QB, but he's never "lost" a fumble because the Seahawks have recovered every one of them. Just an interesting fact on that one.  I get the play call. You have under 1 minute left, and your letting the clock bleed on that 2nd down play. You call a pass play knowing at worst you stop the clock. You know they have 8-9 guys in the box and have a 1 on 1 miss match with your BIG 6'5" tall receiver on their rookie DB. 99% of the time that is a TD or incomplete pass.  I don't like the play call. I am not going to rip Carroll for it. All we are doing is just assuming Lynch would have scored in the other scenario.

I watched in a bar so I wasn't really aware until this morning that they were out of time outs or maybe had 1 left. Taking that into consideration, I have a little more tolerance of that call. OC didn't tell Wilson to throw it where he did, that was just dumb. Anyway, it was a great game. The whole post-season was pretty special this year, kind of ironic considering all of the front office foibles.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I watched in a bar so I wasn't really aware until this morning that they were out of time outs or maybe had 1 left. Taking that into consideration, I have a little more tolerance of that call. OC didn't tell Wilson to throw it where he did, that was just dumb. Anyway, it was a great game. The whole post-season was pretty special this year, kind of ironic considering all of the front office foibles.

I don't think Wilson saw the other guy. The play was a quick slant with basically a pick move by the other WR. The idea was to create a buffer zone for the guy running the slant. The problem was that the rookie sold out on the slant. So he kinda darted around the WR and the DB, and jumped the route.

I believe the correct coverage would have been the closer DB sheds the WR and covers the slant. While the other DB covers the other WR. Though I could be wrong. Maybe that was on the scouting tape for the quick slant, and was the correct in game adjustment. It is a gutsy move by the rookie WR to jump that route being the DB on the outside. If there was any other route by that WR, like a slant to a fade, that DB was dead to rights man. If it was a fake slant, have the WR run a fade to the back corner. That WR being 6'5" tall, with that WR busting on the slant. That could have possibly been the rookie mistake that cost the Patriots the game.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Somebody online yesterday pointed out the succession of heartbreaks for the NFC.

First it was the Lions on the PI call.

Then it was the Cowboys on the Dez Bryant catch .

Then the Packers on the whole cluster---- of a final 2 minutes.

And now the Seahawks with the INT.

Gotta say, this was a nice postseason for the ticker to have my team not involved. :beer:

The game was competitive and entertaining but will go down in history as being the game Seattle (Carroll) gave away.  I understand what @Golfingdad is saying but when you're in a game like that, you don't worry about the clock, you get the TD and tell your defense to man up for 20 seconds.

Seattle should have handed the ball to Lynch or let Wilson QB sneak it 3 times.   The Pats defender made an awesome play, but he should have never had the opportunity.  As for the thuggery at the end, it was a low class move by Seattle and will hurt their popularity going forward.  I give props to Carroll for taking responsibility for the stupid play call, it can't be easy to apologize to your team for losing the game.

The commercials were mediocre to horrible, especially Nationwide (what a downer).  I also thought the Carnival Cruise commercial missed the mark by a mile.  They are known as a party boat cruise line, hot girls, lots of drinking and partying and they pay millions to show an ad that could put insomniacs to sleep.  Best ads imo, Fiat blue pill, Nissan and Budweiser (lost dog).

Joe Paradiso

The game was competitive and entertaining but will go down in history as being the game Seattle (Carroll) gave away.  I understand what @Golfingdad is saying but when you're in a game like that, you don't worry about the clock, you get the TD and tell your defense to man up for 20 seconds.  Seattle should have handed the ball to Lynch or let Wilson QB sneak it 3 times.   The Pats defender made an awesome play, but he should have never had the opportunity.  As for the thuggery at the end, it was a low class move by Seattle and will hurt their popularity going forward.  I give props to Carroll for taking responsibility for the stupid play call, it can't be easy to apologize to your team for losing the game. The commercials were mediocre to horrible, especially Nationwide (what a downer).  I also thought the Carnival Cruise commercial missed the mark by a mile.  They are known as a party boat cruise line, hot girls, lots of drinking and partying and they pay millions to show an ad that could put insomniacs to sleep.  Best ads imo, Fiat blue pill, Nissan and Budweiser (lost dog).

I think you're forgetting that they only had one timeout. There isn't enough time to run 3 plays running plays with that little time left and only one time out. And if they run two running plays and don't get in and the game ends while they are leaving one more opportunity on the field, what is everybody saying today? They are criticizing seattles clock management skills. They played great, NE played a little better, kudos to both teams. I actually didn't pay too much attention to the commercials, but I liked the Doritos one of the guy on the plane with the open middle seat, and I thought the other nationwide one with "invisible" Mindy Kaling was pretty funny. I also really enjoyed Katy Perry. Just a solid SB all around.

I think you're forgetting that they only had one timeout. There isn't enough time to run 3 plays running plays with that little time left and only one time out. And if they run two running plays and don't get in and the game ends while they are leaving one more opportunity on the field, what is everybody saying today? They are criticizing seattles clock management skills. They played great, NE played a little better, kudos to both teams.

I actually didn't pay too much attention to the commercials, but I liked the Doritos one of the guy on the plane with the open middle seat, and I thought the other nationwide one with "invisible" Mindy Kaling was pretty funny.

I also really enjoyed Katy Perry. Just a solid SB all around.

A friend of mine's son did a majority of the the stage animation for that. Pretty cool stuff.

- Shane

The Liam Neeson commercial was pretty funny.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You're right, I forgot about that one because I'd never heard of the game it was for.

Joe Paradiso

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Carol didn't throw the ball. Wilson did. The entire world was expecting a run and that's why Carol went with the pass. Wilson forced it and lost. If it worked Carol is a genius.

I still would have called him an idiot, especially a slant play into the middle of the defense.

The Seahawks blew the whole sequence because they were more concerned about the clock than they were intent on scoring. After Lynch ran the ball to the one yard line on first down. I completely expected the Seahawks to line up quickly and run it again before NE could get settled. But there were about 58 seconds left when the play clock was set and Seattle dawdled and sent in substitute players because they wanted to run clock.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say that running a "waste play" (Carroll's words) was in order. Why set up in shotgun and why throw the ball in the middle of the formation? There were a million other plays they could have run there even if you throw it, the most efficient being with Wilson under center, running play action, and rolling out.

There was nothing about that play that was genius, even if it worked. It was stupid.

I think you're forgetting that they only had one timeout. There isn't enough time to run 3 plays running plays with that little time left and only one time out. And if they run two running plays and don't get in and the game ends while they are leaving one more opportunity on the field, what is everybody saying today? They are criticizing seattles clock management skills. They played great, NE played a little better, kudos to both teams.

There was plenty of time left. When the play clock was set for second down, there were 58 seconds left. The Seahawks let the clock run down because they didn't want to leave any time left for NE to score. That was dumb. The priority should have been to score, no matter what.

Bill M

There was plenty of time left. When the play clock was set for second down, there were 58 seconds left. The Seahawks let the clock run down because they didn't want to leave any time left for NE to score. That was dumb. The priority should have been to score, no matter what.

I agree, if the Seahawks offense was dominating then I'd say you can try to do some clock management but given how the offense struggled the entire game, the priority should have been to get into the endzone.  Lynch ran well but he fought for every yard.  The pass offense would have been abysmal had it not been for some long (and somewhat lucky) pass plays.

In that situation, you have to score and make the defense hold them for whatever is left on the clock.

Joe Paradiso

Somebody online yesterday pointed out the succession of heartbreaks for the NFC. First it was the Lions on the PI call. Then it was the Cowboys on the Dez Bryant [S]catch[/S]. Then the Packers on the whole cluster---- of a final 2 minutes. And now the Seahawks with the INT. Gotta say, this was a nice postseason for the ticker to have my team not involved. :beer:

Yep, thought the same thing. Shows how close the NFC teams were this season. I think GB or Dal could have won the SB this year. I don't say that to demean Seattle since really they should have won. But to indicate how good the top NFC teams were this year. No other AFC team would have had a prayer in that game. It was a fun year and oh yes, Dez caught that ball, actually and by rule.

Whatever you do, don't download the game.  My brother in law got me hooked.  Its terrible and addicting.

I can't decide if I liked the robot lion entrance, the fire dress, or the "the more you know" exit best.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Note: This thread is 3273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!