IGNORED

Sand Save question

RFKFREAK
Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I was playing today and hit the greenside bunker. I got out of the bunker and got on the fringe and then chipped onto the green. From there I made the putt. Does that count as a sand save?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, I was playing today and hit the greenside bunker. I got out of the bunker and got on the fringe and then chipped onto the green. From there I made the putt.

Does that count as a sand save?

I'm not sure of the "official" definition of Sand Save, if there is one...  I would think that it would mean you knock your second shot into the greenside bunker on a par 4, get out and "save" the par with a one-putt.  However, given the circumstances, if you want it to be a Sand Save, I say go for it!

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

So, I was playing today and hit the greenside bunker. I got out of the bunker and got on the fringe and then chipped onto the green. From there I made the putt. Does that count as a sand save?

A sand save is up and down in 2, for par.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

A sand save is up and down in 2, for par.

I wouldn't limit it to being for par necessarily, but I agree that it's getting up and down from the bunker.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I know guys that declare a sandie if they make par after getting out of the sand, even if it's from a fairway bunker or GIR after finding sand on a reachable par 5. I let my stat tracker do it for me. I only get credit for a sand save if I get up and down from the bunker for par or better after missing GIR. All the scrambling stats on my tracker are based on that except for bounce backs, they include that in the scrambling stats

Dave :-)

Pretty sure official definition for sand save is par or better from the sand. If you bogie you didn't really save anything.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I wouldn't limit it to being for par necessarily, but I agree that it's getting up and down from the bunker.

Yes, par or better is required for it to be considered a save. Can be a bunker shot make for birdie, a bunker shot and a putt, a bunker shot and chip in for par or 2 bunker shots, as long as par is saved, it counts as a sand save.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I know guys that declare a sandie if they make par after getting out of the sand, even if it's from a fairway bunker or GIR after finding sand on a reachable par 5. I let my stat tracker do it for me. I only get credit for a sand save if I get up and down from the bunker for par or better after missing GIR. All the scrambling stats on my tracker are based on that except for bounce backs, they include that in the scrambling stats

Yes, we play sandies too, par from a fairway bunker. I don't think the tour tracks those as sand saves, however, but I could be wrong.

I always considered a sand save as up and down in two for par or better. If you are in a greenside bunker on a par 5, only the birdie counts as a sand save.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

I always considered a sand save as up and down in two for par or better. If you are in a greenside bunker on a par 5, only the birdie counts as a sand save.

Personally, I'd count a par in that situation a sand save. I believe the tour does too but not 100% sure.

Personally, I'd count a par in that situation a sand save. I believe the tour does too but not 100% sure.

Pretty sure this is right. I mean, what are we talking about "saving"? To me it's fairly obvious that it's par we're trying to "save". If it's a birdie so much the better, but when I think "save" in golf I think par.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Greenside bunker on a par 5 and on in GIR doesn't leave much to save though. I would rather hit out of a bunker next to the green than fron 100 out in grass. You still have two putts for par. The save is usually up and down when GIR is missed.

Dave :-)

Yes, par or better is required for it to be considered a save. Can be a bunker shot make for birdie, a bunker shot and a putt, a bunker shot and chip in for par or 2 bunker shots, as long as par is saved, it counts as a sand save.

The PGA Tour disagrees with you, and so do I:

Sand Save Percentage: "The percent of time a player was able to get 'up and down' once in a greenside sand bunker (regardless of score). Note: 'Up and down' indicates it took the player 2 shots or less to put the ball in the hole from that point."

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.111.html

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

The PGA Tour disagrees with you, and so do I: Sand Save Percentage: "The percent of time a player was able to get 'up and down' once in a greenside sand bunker (regardless of score). Note: 'Up and down' indicates it took the player 2 shots or less to put the ball in the hole from that point." [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.111.html]http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.111.html[/URL]

Mmm, interesting. This site is a wealth of information. My own group wouldn't pay me for a sandie in that case, however, so my personal rule still applies, unfortunately. I get up and down out of bunkers for bogey or double all the time. ;)

The PGA Tour disagrees with you, and so do I: Sand Save Percentage: "The percent of time a player was able to get 'up and down' once in a greenside sand bunker (regardless of score). Note: 'Up and down' indicates it took the player 2 shots or less to put the ball in the hole from that point." [URL=http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.111.html]http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.111.html[/URL]

[quote name="Gunther" url="/t/76090/sand-save-question/0_100#post_1027448"] Mmm, interesting. This site is a wealth of information. My own group wouldn't pay me for a sandie in that case, however, so my personal rule still applies, unfortunately. I get up and down out of bunkers for bogey or double all the time. ;)[/quote] Interesting. I have always assumed that the "save" meant saving par. So it just means sinking the putt in 2 strokes or less from the bunker regardless of score?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Interesting. I have always assumed that the "save" meant saving par. So it just means sinking the putt in 2 strokes or less from the bunker regardless of score?

I think it just applies to whatever score you're trying to save. So, yesterday, when I was in the rough short of the green on a par-4 and pitching to get on with my fourth shot, I was trying to save bogey. I remember thinking "If I could save bogey here, that'd be a great 5." Probably the only reason I remember it is because I actually wound up getting up and down for a change.

Dom's Sticks:

He's right, it basically means your ball is in the hole in 2 strokes or less after you are standing over it in the bunker about to play your wedge shot out. Just simply think of it as, getting up and down out of a sand trap like the PGA tour excerpt

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!