TIME 4 TEE

How Did You Start in Golf?

71 posts / 3700 viewsLast Reply

I live near 2 golf courses & didn't take up golf.

I didn't think I had the patience for it.

I had a few clients that came to see me to help their own golf game & suggested I try it.

So I did, & I have enjoyed it.

It is only early days for me, balancing work / family.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I was 16 when this MILF approached me about joining her 4-some.  I agreed, and then the fun ensued.........

HEH...JK

I was 16 when this MILF approached me about joining her 4-some.  I agreed, and then the fun ensued.........

HEH...JK

Dear Penthouse........................

What pulled you into playing golf? How old were you, and how were you hooked? I was eight when I started playing, but my first official round was when I was ten (I’m 16 now). I’ve been playing seriously for only three years. I got a set of Topflite Junior Clubs (Driver, 5W, 5H, 7I, 9I, SW, putter) for my birthday one year, and after going on the range several times, I wanted to play. So we (me, my dad and brother) went down to Lake Winds and played nine holes. My brother and I played from the red tees because we were just starting out. I had a 15 on the first hole, finished with 103 for nine holes. I was still hooked though, and I progressed to where I am now, a bogey golfer.

Just now, dagolfer18 said:

What pulled you into playing golf? How old were you, and how were you hooked?

I was 19 (42 now).

My roommate in college was an avid golfer (guy grew up on a golf course), and also probably played to a near scratch handicap. At the time I thought golf was boring, and was more interested in NFL, NBA and MLB, but decided to go out and play with him once, most likely just because I didn't have class and wanted to do some day drinking.

He gave me one of the spare sets of clubs he had which were Wilson Staff blades from the late 70s, persimmon woods, and an old Ping Anser from the 60s. I played terrible, but had a blast. One round and that was it, I was hooked. It also helped that right around the time I picked up golf, Tiger Woods turned pro and started winning majors. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn’t get into golf until I was about 30 (55 now). I was working For a company, in the warehouse and I noticed that all the people who had the jobs I wanted, had a college degree and played golf so I went back to school and took up the game. I started playing with my boss and was immediately hooked.

A college friend had a friend who was on the golf team. I was invited to fill in for a cancellation. They figured since I was on the baseball team, I could swing a golf club.

I gave it a try, shot a high 90s score, and liked it, but I was involved in baseball. Golf went on the back burner.

The above was what got me interested in golf in the first place. Some other personal events took place that ended my competitive baseball playing days, but my interest in golf was still there. Bought a realy cheap set of clubs, and went for it. That was over 55 years ago. 

48 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

What pulled you into playing golf? How old were you, and how were you hooked?

Started in 2013 and age 53.  Moved back out here to Iowa from your neck of the woods.....  was in Fayetteville.  I had only played a couple times when I was in HS and didn't play again.  Moved back here to Iowa in 2010.  Work had one of those "team building" 4 person scramble events.  Hooked from there on. Team captain of the winning team last year, lol.  Good and bad days, pretty much a Bogy golfer too.

1 hour ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I didn’t get into golf until I was about 30 (55 now). I was working For a company, in the warehouse and I noticed that all the people who had the jobs I wanted, had a college degree and played golf so I went back to school and took up the game. I started playing with my boss and was immediately hooked.

Wait, wait, wait...

You golfed with your boss, but did you get promoted to the better jobs?

I was in my 30s (57 now).  Avid sports guy all my life.  I got invited to play golf with a co-worker.  I had teased him to no end about being a golfer.  So, there I was with borrowed clubs and, of course, struggle to make contact.  However that 7-wood was like magic and I had a few nice shots.  I'm hooked big time.  The very next day I go to a local sporting goods and purchase a set.  Never looked back.

Work pulled me in. Took a job in sales when I was in my 20's (70 now), and the Sales Manager said, "You play golf right?" In the 60'S-70'S the golf course was where business was conducted. Never touched a golf club in my life prior to that. Got a K-Mart special set and hacked it around for a year or so, and made a fool of myself. Threw the clubs in the back of the garage for a year or so, until the boss said," You're losing a lot of sales by not playing golf."
Probably somewhere in my late 20's I decided to try it again. This time I tried to take it seriously. Went to the driving range every day, and finally caught the bug. Then it was twice a day that I was at the driving range, and maybe playing 18 after that. I remember my hands being raw, and blisters, where I could barely hold the club. Went from being a 100's player to the mid to upper 80's. Then I knew I was hooked.
After that, I drank and had lunch/dinner in a lot of nice customer's country clubs.

I loved golf at any early age, but didn't start playing until I decide to give up my passion for baseball in my mid 20's.
I became good friends with someone who had just started playing and the rest is history.

Going on 40 years and still friends with my buddy, even though I kick his butt regularly ....
I think the only reason he still likes me is because I belong to a great club and I can get he and his buddies on the course.  :whistle:

My father was a tea planter and at work he started playing golf and tennis.  By the time we were born, both my parents were serious golf and tennis players and we had a wooden golf club made by one of the carpenters before we were five.  At around the age of 11 we were given professional lessons and have been playing ever since

Growing up watching some guy named Tiger Woods on TV with my grandma and then taking her clubs out in my parents' backyard and hitting plastic golf balls to random targets. 

Hot and lazy summer morning in St. Louis.  Larry, Richard and I were hanging out in the street BS'ing, probably slowing down traffic.  We were all 12 years old. Richard mentioned his dad took him golfing for the first time the night before.  He said it was fun and immediately we all started planning how to play golf that very day.  Hey, we were bored.  Well, Larry's mom could drive us to the par 3 course.  I could come up with the green fees out of my allowance.  And Richard volunteered to commandeer his father's golf clubs.

Long story long... it was a great day and Larry and I were hooked.  Richard never played again.

Larry and I both bought clubs, arranged for a lot more parental rides to the course, got to know the pro (who we thought was the greatest golfer in the world) and ended up caddying at a country club with Caddie Days every Friday where we could play for free until Noon.

Ultimately Larry and I played on our high school golf team and we both played college golf on scholarships.  We played in two NCAA Tournaments.

The rest is history.  Still love the game today and when the treatment works for my injured elbow I'll be back to playing or practicing 5 days a week.

As a kid I had an interest in trying golf, but nobody I knew actually played. It was certainly not something my dad tried to encourage considering the cost. 

I went to college, worked away and then came back to my old hometown years later.  One of my brother's friends had picked up golf in the mean time. This little scrawny kid I barely remember was now a 6-foot-5, 300-pounder who played golf. He was always looking for someone to go out with, so he got me started at the local par-3 course. I guess I hit something half decent that day and kept coming back for more.

Yes, Big Man can crush the ball. No, Big Man can't count his strokes properly.