IGNORED

Blades or cavity backs

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I've read a lot on this site and know there are some very knowledgeable folks out there. This is my first post but I've read enough to know how this is probably gonna turn out. Anyway, I currently play mp-33 irons and I hit them pretty sang good. My handicap right now is a 9.7. I'm also trying to get better and continue to lower my scores. So my question is do I continue to play my mp-33's or would I benefit more from a cavity back iron?

That depends on what your miss is with those irons. How often do you miss short by hitting them off center a bit? That is the answer to your question.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say maybe twice a round . But then I think about it and I can think of rounds where I hit every iron shot good. My biggest miss is usually due to being mis-aligned. I just don't want to sell myself short by playing blades when I could be playing a cavity back. Just for reference the cavity backs I'm referring to are titleist 775cb or 704 cb I also appreciate your response

Yeah the dispersion should be better with your blades, it is just a matter of the distance forgiveness through perimeter weighting that a CB iron offers. I am not so sure you are losing many strokes with them. You may lose distance one or twice a round but you could easily be making up for that in the tighter dispersion. I would stick with them.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Beyond testing the clubs yourself the only other measurement I'm aware of is the Maltby Playability Factor.  The MP-33 is rated at 419 and considered "Conventional" where as the 704CB is rated at 542 (Conventional) and the 775CB is rated at 588 (Game Improvement). MPF considers different factors about the club in setting their ratings but some dispute the validity of them.

I hope this helps.

Joe Paradiso

I'm not really sure what that grading system is. I'm going to look it up. I assume it pretty much says that the higher the number the more forgiveness and such? I'm not sure what to do. I know the mp-33's are great clubs but like I said I don't want to sell myself short with the 33's when I could be scoring better with one of the other 2 sets. I can get either of the other sets for relatively cheap

I played MP-33s for just over a season. My next set, and current set, are the MP-52s. They def provide more forgiveness, but still maintain feel and provide feedback. If you're going to look into something a little more forgiving, but still has those Mizuno characteristics, maybe check out the current Mizuno lines. Maybe the MP-59s?

If you're changing irons to reduce your handicap I would say don't bother. I doubt your handicap will change dramtically either way. If you can get the cavities cheap, buy them and do the experiment.

I forget which pro said, "Game improvement irons will get you to Sunday, blades will win it for you."

Yeah the dispersion should be better with your blades, it is just a matter of the distance forgiveness through perimeter weighting that a CB iron offers. I am not so sure you are losing many strokes with them. You may lose distance one or twice a round but you could easily be making up for that in the tighter dispersion. I would stick with them.

Why would dispersion be better with a blade?

I appreciate all of y'all's responses. I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do just yet. Like I said I like the mizunos but I want to do whatever is going to help my game both score wise and enjoyment. I have switched back and forth between the mp-33's and some ping i3 plus irons I had. I have a friend that owns a driving range and is a fitter for callaway and a few other brands as well as used clubs so I'm going to go try to hit a few cavity back irons and just compare them to my distance and control to my mp-33's. I just don't want to make any rash decisions that I'll regret. Again I appreciate all of y'all's responses. Do any of y'all have any experience with the 704 cb or 775 cb?

Yep, I agree with this. At least from what I found as well. With my MP-59's I found the dispersion tighter, but if I catch one a few grooves thin or slightly higher on the face distance loss is a bit more than a more forgiving club (about half a club to a full club short). Toe shots tend to end up about the same as well. So usually 7-12 yards short.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

If you're changing irons to reduce your handicap I would say don't bother. I doubt your handicap will change dramtically either way. If you can get the cavities cheap, buy them and do the experiment. I forget which pro said, "Game improvement irons will get you to Sunday, blades will win it for you."

Whoever it was, it must have been a long time ago. The vast majority of Tour Pros play, and win, with some form of cavity back irons these days.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Why would dispersion be better with a blade?

There have been some studies that show on center contact that blades are tighter than CB irons.

Nate

I think a pro or fitter would be able to tell you more in person than we could over the internet.  That friend you have who owns the driving range should be a great resource for you.  Try as many clubs out as you can.

Ok, I've decided after hitting several different brands of cavity back irons that I am just going to keep my mp-33's. I didn't hit any of the others any better and didn't particularly care for the feel. So, I've got a new question. Would I benefit from having the mp-33's custom fit? Meaning length lie and loft?

Ok, I've decided after hitting several different brands of cavity back irons that I am just going to keep my mp-33's. I didn't hit any of the others any better and didn't particularly care for the feel.

So, I've got a new question. Would I benefit from having the mp-33's custom fit? Meaning length lie and loft?

Those are pretty fine tune adjustments, unless they need some pretty good adjustments you probably wouldn't see much benefit. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Ok, I've decided after hitting several different brands of cavity back irons that I am just going to keep my mp-33's. I didn't hit any of the others any better and didn't particularly care for the feel.

So, I've got a new question. Would I benefit from having the mp-33's custom fit? Meaning length lie and loft?

If the result of the fitting was the need for different shafts, then financially you probably would be better off getting new irons as the cost difference would be negligible at best.   Other factors to consider are; the overall condition of the heads, if the clubs are conforming and if that is a concern to you, the potential swing implications you might experience by changing the length of shafts and lies of the heads given you've become accustomed to them as they are at this point.

You might just want to have the lofts checked, it's not uncommon for the lofts on forged clubs to change after heavy use.

Joe Paradiso

I think I'm just going to hold off and play them like they are for now. I think I'm gonna save up for a newer set in the meantime . I appreciate all y'all's help and replies

Note: This thread is 3348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!